Date: 28-03-24  Time: 09:44 am

Author Topic: Correct front discs?  (Read 1209 times)

tangoflash

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Correct front discs?
« on: 14 April 2017, 03:04:42 pm »
After looking at various other fazers, I've noticed my front discs are very different compared to all the others I've seen. Are these some sort of aftermarket replacement/improvement?

HydrocarbonPrimate

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Diversion
    • View Profile
Re: Correct front discs?
« Reply #1 on: 14 April 2017, 04:04:34 pm »
Jeez there isnt much metal there. They look like aftermarket wavy disks, Why people fit them I have no idea, It's not like stock disk on a motorcycle arnt going to cool efficiently or spin the water off them, I think its just fashion.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 April 2017, 05:05:33 pm »
 They look like a tin foil stencil :lol  They don't look like there's much meat left on them. How thick are they?

tangoflash

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 April 2017, 03:24:50 am »
They look like a tin foil stencil :lol  They don't look like there's much meat left on them. How thick are they?

Yeah, I see what you mean, but they're a lot better than the picture does them credit. They were only fitted 6 months ago in an authorised Yamaha dealers (for the previous owner) and cost him £220, so I'd like to think they're not cheap shit

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 April 2017, 08:10:23 am »

Yeah, I see what you mean, but they're a lot better than the picture does them credit. They were only fitted 6 months ago in an authorised Yamaha dealers (for the previous owner) and cost him £220, so I'd like to think they're not cheap shit

I think you are being slightly misled, according to previous posts on this site i fitted Galfer pads on the front in early 2013 and my discs still look like new.
Still on the same pads and the discs still look untouched, although i will replace the pads soon as i have a new set in the garage.
If we can spot an issue, a bike cop will rub his hands!
Discs need replacing fella, you need to save up a few hundred quid rather sharpish! Either that or pay fines and have points on top.  :'(
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 April 2017, 08:46:09 am »
Hi you need to measure the thickness of the front discs. Measure them in a few places, It's best done with a micrometer or at a push with a set of Vernier calipers. If they're less than 3.5 mm replace.

Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 April 2017, 09:29:12 am »
Hi you need to measure the thickness of the front discs. Measure them in a few places, It's best done with a micrometer or at a push with a set of Vernier calipers. If they're less than 3.5 mm replace.

Honestly, there's no need, they're done, as far as legal terms anyway.
They'll still work but i can't for one second imagine them getting through the next MOT.
As i said earlier, if we can spot an issue from a photo then there is a problem.

tangoflash

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 April 2017, 11:20:25 am »
I know they were changed, as I was given all the paperwork, which included the receipt for these getting replaced, but I will measure them and my MOT is due in May, so will probably be replacing them in the next month. Think I'll be going back to standard ones  :)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 April 2017, 12:07:02 pm »
I know they were changed, as I was given all the paperwork, which included the receipt for these getting replaced, but I will measure them and my MOT is due in May, so will probably be replacing them in the next month. Think I'll be going back to standard ones  :)

Discs and rear shock are criminally expensive unfortunately.
What pads were you using on the front? I've never seen front discs worn that badly before.

tangoflash

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 April 2017, 02:23:18 am »

Discs and rear shock are criminally expensive unfortunately.
What pads were you using on the front? I've never seen front discs worn that badly before.

I really couldn't tell you mate, as they were fitted by the previous owner and still have about 50% left on them

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 April 2017, 12:08:46 pm »
If they are doing the job, leave their fate in the hands of the MoT
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)