Date: 19-04-24  Time: 15:57 pm

Author Topic: Focer Font of Knowledge on leather paint  (Read 1342 times)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Focer Font of Knowledge on leather paint
« on: 13 April 2017, 08:09:03 pm »
So I have my nice new mainly white jacket (see my other post for photos) it goes very well with my gloves and helmet and silver and black sidi boots but my leather trousers are all black, they have a strip of leather that would work really well if I could paint it white to tie it i with the jacket, so does anyone have any advice on painting leather   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Focer Font of Knowledge on leather paint
« Reply #1 on: 13 April 2017, 08:24:52 pm »
So I have my nice new mainly white jacket (see my other post for photos) it goes very well with my gloves and helmet and silver and black sidi boots but my leather trousers are all black, they have a strip of leather that would work really well if I could paint it white to tie it i with the jacket, so does anyone have any advice on painting leather   

Many years ago I bought a pair of white leather sidi boots ( I know, it was the early 90's) because they where very cheap. I bought some black shoe dye from timpsons- Unfortunately they came out a very dark navy blue  :o I still wore 'em  :D  I bet the modern leather dyes are much better now Mr sharp. Pay extra attention to the seams and the stitching, from memory they took a bit more of a going over.
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 April 2017, 08:33:27 pm »

Many years ago I bought a pair of white leather sidi boots ( I know, it was the early 90's) because they where very cheap. I bought some black shoe dye from timpsons- Unfortunately they came out a very dark navy blue  :o I still wore 'em  :D  I bet the modern leather dyes are much better now Mr sharp. Pay extra attention to the seams and the stitching, from memory they took a bit more of a going over.
Thanks for that, how the sections are placed and stitched I wont be going over any seams or stitching as I will only be painting one section a bit like this https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/261649   

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 April 2017, 08:41:35 pm »

Many years ago I bought a pair of white leather sidi boots ( I know, it was the early 90's) because they where very cheap. I bought some black shoe dye from timpsons- Unfortunately they came out a very dark navy blue  :o I still wore 'em  :D

:lol

I did the same, stupidly bought white (my only excuse is that they matched my FZR1000 and the predominantly white leathers I had at the time). I toned them down by scuffing my way through all the remains of camp fires at Le Mans  :lol

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 April 2017, 08:47:12 pm »
Might be worth considering having the correct colour leather panels stitched over the existing jean!
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 April 2017, 08:58:41 pm »
Might be worth considering having the correct colour leather panels stitched over the existing jean!
I'll get me singer out.

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 April 2017, 09:02:47 pm »
TBH it's probably the way to go, recently researched this as me one piece is red and white and I want to go back to black (hence new jacket) Everything I read said its virtually impossible to get leather to take a dye.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 April 2017, 09:12:24 pm »
TBH it's probably the way to go, recently researched this as me one piece is red and white and I want to go back to black (hence new jacket) Everything I read said its virtually impossible to get leather to take a dye.
Found this https://www.furnitureclinic.co.uk/Leather_Paint
And there seems to be a choice around https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=white+leather+paint

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 April 2017, 09:23:10 pm »
At that price its got to be worth a shot, if it did go pete tong there's always plan b

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 April 2017, 02:33:39 pm »
I have tried loads of different designs and panel pasterns by sticking white tape on to make mock ups but they all look crap so I am just going to bung on some white knee sliders and be done with it.   

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 April 2017, 03:04:31 pm »
Have you really thought this through mate?  :lol

More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.