Date: 19-03-24  Time: 08:44 am

Author Topic: rear shock  (Read 3680 times)

danmckie

• Cager in Training
  • dan mckie
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
rear shock
« on: 13 April 2017, 04:50:07 pm »
any thorts on after market shocks as the standerd one is useless its like a pogo stick. thorts please peaple. any standerd yamaha shocks that will fit with adjustment 

Andy_J

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - sp1, fireblade, r6
    • View Profile
Re: rear shock
« Reply #1 on: 15 April 2017, 08:52:06 pm »
any thorts on after market shocks as the standerd one is useless its like a pogo stick. thorts please peaple. any standerd yamaha shocks that will fit with adjustment
I purchased a shock from an FZ1 because its better damped and has some more adjustment.  Works much better.  Got mine for 50 quid from the bay.

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2017, 09:54:31 pm »
I always replace rear shocks with Nitron units. Makes a huge difference but like any handling mods once you start you have to do everything.
Shock shows up forks, forks show up brakes, brakes show up tyres and so it goes until eventually the new package shows up the rider.
So you end up getting some training at superbike school or the like and going on track days.
The end result is just like any other addict, you end up spending all your money on it and all you can think about is your next fix, if yo don't eat so much this month you could buy that slipper clutch you've had your eye on.
My advice would be to replace the shock (with a nitron) then get some professional help (pole dancer maybe) before it takes over your life.
Don't become an ADRENALIN JUNKIE
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2017, 11:43:08 pm »
I always replace rear shocks with Nitron units. Makes a huge difference but like any handling mods once you start you have to do everything.
Shock shows up forks, forks show up brakes, brakes show up tyres and so it goes until eventually the new package shows up the rider.
So you end up getting some training at superbike school or the like and going on track days.
The end result is just like any other addict, you end up spending all your money on it and all you can think about is your next fix, if yo don't eat so much this month you could buy that slipper clutch you've had your eye on.
My advice would be to replace the shock (with a nitron) then get some professional help (pole dancer maybe) before it takes over your life.
Don't become an ADRENALIN JUNKIE

I know what you mean Celtic.
I fitted a Nitron R1 to my 03 Reg FZS600 over last winter along with front fork cartridge emulators, I spent a lot of time researching and talking with a certain guy on here about the front end before deciding on a pattern for drilling out/ overcoming the damping effect of the damper rods. Then fitted Ohlins Linear Springs.
I played with the oil setting along with the viscosity (Fine tuning) really happy with the bikes suspension but fitted new Batlax boots and decided that I was really pleased with the front brakes but decided that I needed to do something about the rear.

But then thankfully came to my senses, why? I hardly ever touch the back brake anyway except when turning at very slow speeds/ slow manoeuvres. But your right it can become an obsession, and an obsession that takes some feeding, when I think about it I spent half of what the bike is worth upgrading the suspension with out the cost of new boots back and front.
To be honest the original setup was boingy on the back and vague and harsh on the front, but for normal riding it was passable I guess as long as you did not want to go scratching.

Remond

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 October 2019, 09:04:52 pm »
I have bougt a new FZ8 this year in april(it is from 2017 but 0 kms) with warranty of 2 years.
But i have noticed almost the same day that the rear schock is too soft , especially when you are riding with 2 persons .
the dealer fitted a new shock under warranty , but it is the same , too soft , Yamaha Netherlands does not care about this problem , it is dangerous for the customer.

How does Yamaha UK solve this problem ?

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 October 2019, 12:01:16 am »
What is the adjustment on the shock set to?See settings in pic

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 October 2019, 11:05:18 am »
UK Yamaha don't deal with this problem.
There's us nothing wrong with the shock unit or it's operation, Yamaha have always produced under damped suspension on production bikes.
The only solution is replacing it with a decent after market unit or have the oem shock revalved.
I have and always will ride Yamaha, I like everything about the way the bikes work, power delivery, quality, chassis stiffness, braking. The only minus is the suspension, I've come to accept this and replace fork internals and rear shock as soon as possible.
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 October 2019, 04:25:57 pm »
The FZ8 like the other Fazers are budget bikes abeit very good budget bikes, but all with possibly the exception being the Gen 2 1000 suffer from under damped and under sprung suspension.
If you are on a budget then the Hagon shock is a very good reasonably priced replacement and Hagon are excellent to deal with. If not Nitron who are also good to deal with or further up the scale Ohlins.