Date: 16-04-24  Time: 15:33 pm

Author Topic: Bike tax madness  (Read 951 times)

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Bike tax madness
« on: 12 April 2017, 06:04:57 pm »

My son has decided that as the weather is good, whilst he is visitign me in Sussex, he would get his FZS MOT'd so he can use it this weekend. All good so far. Bike passed the test.

It is SORN so he needs to tax it now before he can have some fun. Trouble is the V5 is in his flat in Plymouth (where nobody else has access) and DVLA wont let him pay for the tax without the reference number from the V5.

I can understand not being able to SORN without a reference number as that may result in someone making your bike illegal without you knowing, but taxing it?? We want to pay them money. I guess it is to stop you typing in A123ABC when you meant to tax A132ABC etc but doesn't help him this weekend.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Bike tax madness
« Reply #1 on: 12 April 2017, 08:57:32 pm »
Can you still do it at the post office these days?
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 April 2017, 09:00:17 pm »

My son has decided that as the weather is good, whilst he is visitign me in Sussex, he would get his FZS MOT'd so he can use it this weekend. All good so far. Bike passed the test.

It is SORN so he needs to tax it now before he can have some fun. Trouble is the V5 is in his flat in Plymouth (where nobody else has access) and DVLA wont let him pay for the tax without the reference number from the V5.

I can understand not being able to SORN without a reference number as that may result in someone making your bike illegal without you knowing, but taxing it?? We want to pay them money. I guess it is to stop you typing in A123ABC when you meant to tax A132ABC etc but doesn't help him this weekend.

Sods law that is! You would have thought you'd he'd able to sort it online, you can do practically everying else online these days. Trouble is it's not worth the risk of riding out without tax. Unfortnately there's lots of untaxed and uninsured scrote cagers on the road, tough luck if you happen to run into one
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: 13 April 2017, 08:41:24 am »
Can you still do it at the post office these days?

Yes, if you have the V5, the reminder or want to pay £25 to say you have lost the V5. He hasn't lost the V5, it is just 200 miles from where he is :)
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 April 2017, 09:02:34 am »
Purchasing a bike is also an issue. I brought a bike of ebay that was to far away to view, not best but price was right, but of course you can never be completely sure of what you will find when you go to pick it up. Anyway, was happy enough with the bike, which was just as well, as I had to insure the thing before seeing it just to make sure it could be taxed if I brought it

Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!