Date: 19-04-24  Time: 06:53 am

Author Topic: Oil filters  (Read 6325 times)

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Oil filters
« on: 11 April 2017, 10:47:50 pm »
Are the branded ones any different? I've always used hiflo on my previous bikes but the fz has a genuine yamaha one on it.
I've had a look and they are double the price of the hi flo, I can't think of a reason why one could be considered more 'premium' than another?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Oil filters
« Reply #1 on: 12 April 2017, 06:57:44 am »
Not that you would notice.

All i will say is that i've tried the K&N one's before with the added nut for "ease of removal" then found that the nut has a plastic coating over it than didn't fit any socket i tried on it.
I recently bought a heavier duty chain wrench which is about 5 links wide so i'll never have that issue again no matter what i put on it now.

Think i went back to a Hi-Flo oil filter if i remember correctly last time.

As long as the oil is changed within the correct intervals then you won't have any issues. And i've started changing the filter every oil change now, rather than every 2 changes, but that's my personal preference. I also change the oil every 4000 miles rather than the advised 6000 miles but because i don't do a lot of miles that suits me just fine.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 April 2017, 07:52:30 am »
I have used HiFlo for years on various bikes, no problems with them.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #3 on: 12 April 2017, 11:42:06 am »
Are the branded ones any different?

Only in price as you've already noticed! For day to day riding, you'll never know the difference.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 April 2017, 12:42:48 pm »
Thanks guys that was I thought.
I tend to change the oil at the end of the winter and end of the summer just purely out of habit and peace of mind knowing it's keeping things clean. I do a lot of very short trips especially during the winter so for the sake of a few quid it keeps the engine im better condition.
I usually do the filter every oil change just because I get it free with the oil. £30 for 4 litres of silkolene and a hiflo filter, can't go wrong with that 😊😊

CaptainCazador

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 April 2017, 03:54:28 pm »
[quote author=darrsi I recently bought a heavier duty chain wrench which is about 5 links wide so i'll never have that issue again no matter what i put on it now.
I have never required anything other than my hand to remove oil filters the ones I have fitted at least.

There's no need to wound an oil filter on like your life depends on it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 April 2017, 04:08:11 pm »
[quote author=darrsi I recently bought a heavier duty chain wrench which is about 5 links wide so i'll never have that issue again no matter what i put on it now.
I have never required anything other than my hand to remove oil filters the ones I have fitted at least.

It's for removing it, not putting it on.

CaptainCazador

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 April 2017, 04:40:10 pm »

Really?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 April 2017, 05:05:20 pm »

Really?

No, I'm just making it all up.  :rolleyes

CaptainCazador

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 April 2017, 05:24:21 pm »
You missed my point little man. There's no need to put an oil filter on so tight you require tools to remove it next time round.

All the filters I have ever fitted come off again the same way they went on which is with my right hand.

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 April 2017, 05:34:47 pm »

I recently did an oil and filter change on my MT09 using a genuine Yamaha filter and Motul 10/50 semi synthetic (4ltr) container
I did the oil change early at  4500 miles, fecked if I am doing that again. It can run the Yamaha service advice distance now.
Oil + Filter + sump washer. €73.60. I asked the shop were they taking the piss. French do not understand taking the piss, what do you mean  Monsieur?? I did point out I was doing this job myself so take off the labour charge , feck it forget.
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 April 2017, 06:24:06 pm »
You missed my point little man. There's no need to put an oil filter on so tight you require tools to remove it next time round.

All the filters I have ever fitted come off again the same way they went on which is with my right hand.

Good for you, i'll sleep better tonight knowing that.
Maybe you just have a particularly strong right hand, i can't imagine why.......

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 April 2017, 08:06:16 pm »

Nevef been able to undo any oil filter on any vehicle without some sort of wrench, thats what they are for. Next time I change it on my FZ1s you can come round and show me how you get your hand inbetwen the downpipes and grip the filter.

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 April 2017, 09:02:25 pm »

Have to say you're very lucky I've always needed a wench of some sort, the expansion and contraction of different metals and thickness's alone would mean it would get tighter, or fall off.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 April 2017, 09:31:10 pm »
Do none of you just stick a screwdriver through it and twist? That's how I've always done it?

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 12 April 2017, 09:41:02 pm »
Yup, that's how I used to do it.
Then I bought a very low milage 3 year old car that had never had a service.
Stuck a screwdriver through the oil filter and it started to open up like a sardine can. 
A lot of mucking about, and a day later I had the filter off.  That was the last time I ever stuck a screwdriver though an oil filter.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 April 2017, 10:05:01 pm »

I recently did an oil and filter change on my MT09 using a genuine Yamaha filter and Motul 10/50 semi synthetic (4ltr) container
I did the oil change early at  4500 miles, fecked if I am doing that again. It can run the Yamaha service advice distance now.
Oil + Filter + sump washer. €73.60. I asked the shop were they taking the piss. French do not understand taking the piss, what do you mean  Monsieur?? I did point out I was doing this job myself so take off the labour charge , feck it forget.

Are you sure it was a washer and not a gold ring you bought.  :eek

Even in our over priced little country it would only have cost €55 for that lot.
« Last Edit: 12 April 2017, 10:05:44 pm by unfazed »

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 April 2017, 10:31:38 pm »
Yeah I know nothing is cheap in France apart from wine, bread & cheese.
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 April 2017, 09:05:13 am »
I only ever put it on by hand (with crap access ) but can never get it off by hand. Isnt that why the tools are called oil filter removal tools
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 April 2017, 07:15:27 pm »
I only ever put it on by hand (with crap access ) but can never get it off by hand. Isnt that why the tools are called oil filter removal tools

You maybe onto something there............... :lol

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14 April 2017, 08:35:56 am »
Sounds very like a hand job to me 😃

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 08 July 2017, 03:22:50 pm »
Yeah I know nothing is cheap in France apart from wine, bread & cheese.

With a Gallic shrug some would say that is all you need in life.

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10 July 2017, 07:10:28 am »
Are the branded ones any different? I've always used hiflo on my previous bikes but the fz has a genuine yamaha one on it.
I've had a look and they are double the price of the hi flo, I can't think of a reason why one could be considered more 'premium' than another?

Hiflo are TUV approved and will perform to the same standard as OE, but they're of a lesser quality i.e. the paint is thinner and the steel is lower grade, therefore they rust much quicker, they can also be pigs to get off at times.  I don't know where or how much you've been quoted for a OE filter but they're £9.50 inc vat, Hiflo vary widely from £6 to £11, personally I go OE with Silkolene Comp 4.     
Later

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 11 July 2017, 11:57:41 am »
I've just changed my oil and filter again and used a K&N. I don't know why i keep bothering. As said before, the little nut on the front is a waste of space and should be a 16mm or something but because of paint is slightly bigger but less than a 17. I'll hunt through my old Dad's Whitworth sockets for a size.

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #24 on: 11 July 2017, 01:09:07 pm »
I've stopped using the K&N oil filters now. I've heard of a few cases where they fail and leak. The bit with the nut attached fails and they leak everywhere. Happened to a mate on his Speed Triple whilst zooming round the alps! Was super lucky to both not lose it on the trail of leaking oil or seize up his engine... Some reckon they fail if you try to tighten them with the nut (which you should do anyway), but my mate certainly didn't do that. Dunno, could have just been a bad batch going round. Either way, I wouldn't want to take the risk.