Date: 27-04-24  Time: 05:36 am

Author Topic: Clutch cable: genuine @£30 or knock off @£7?  (Read 2183 times)

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
Clutch cable: genuine @£30 or knock off @£7?
« on: 11 April 2017, 07:18:26 pm »
Suspect my clutch cable if on the way out. Suddenly gained a lot of free play the other day - like totally flapping about. Tweaked it, clutch bite moved really far out. Tweaked it from the sprocket case cover too, better, but found it needing tweaking again yesterday. hmmm, doesn't bode well.

Last cable was a genuine one, went on June 2015. Shouldn't it last longer than that? I do a lot of town commuting, slow speed stuff, and am pretty lazy about sticking it in neutral whilst at red lights.

Anyways, worth splashing out on another genuine cable at £30 ish, or a cheap knock off from ebay at around £7 odd?

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
Re: Clutch cable: genuine @£30 or knock off @£7?
« Reply #1 on: 11 April 2017, 08:44:52 pm »
after wasting a lot of money on cheap clutch cables in the last year (twice ending with recovery vans) i decided a good quality one and pre lubing it myself aswell was the best plan and all has been well ever since.
TSX cables are about 15 quid on ebay and fzs clutches are a lot lighter than 82gsx's and i rarely have trouble with TSX

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 April 2017, 08:50:31 pm »
Sorry mate, can you link me to a TSX cable for the FZS600, canna find one. Or did you opt for compatible cable for another bike that fits the same? - the '82 GSX?

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #4 on: 11 April 2017, 08:59:39 pm »
i have a 82 gsx that has been plagued with a cables snapping (had to ride through town without it which was interesting - but got it my motovlog lol)

TSX £15
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-YAMAHA-FZS600S-FZS-600-S-FAZER-CLUTCH-CABLE-/230093167012?hash=item35929f19a4:g:-SYAAOxyzi9SeMlc

also found same at half the price which strangly worrys me (too good to be true?)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-FZS-600-Fazer-1999-0600-CC-Clutch-Cable-/361748870817?hash=item5439e9b6a1:g:aRAAAOSwmfhX69KQ

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 April 2017, 09:51:29 pm »
I'm still on my original cable after 70k miles including instructing for CBTs so lots of slow work. I'd spend the extra for a Yamaha cable.

My Kawasaki used to break the clutch cable every 10k miles as it also linked to pull up the sidestand when you pulled clutch in instead of having a cut switch.  Replaced it for one without the sidestand link and it never failed after that

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 April 2017, 06:42:16 am »
I oiled and properly adjusted my OEM cable the other day and it's probably the last adjustment i'm gonna get out of it as the adjuster is screwed out near enough to the limit on the lever end.
Although i haven't done a lot of mileage with it, around 10k i think, most of that would be in stop/start traffic. It's not lumpy or notchy or anything like that, there's just no more to adjust at all so presumably it's a bit stretched? 10k is about 3 years riding in traffic for me so i s'pose the mileage can be ignored, the same figure applies to fuel consumption which is why it's pointless me figuring out what it uses.

I've always said buy OEM clutch cables ever since my mechanic told me to, but after seeing that Wemoto don't sell OEM ones and their gear is normally okay, i decided to buy a non Yamaha one for a change at a fraction of the cost for me to try out.

If i don't like it or if doesn't feel right in any way it will be changed, but i just thought for the price i'd give it a try for once.

It won't be changed until at least the weekend now though, as my one is spot on for now, so unfortunately it will be at least next week before i can give you my opinion on it.

This is the one i should get today anyway.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391436339981?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
« Last Edit: 12 April 2017, 09:14:24 am by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 April 2017, 06:45:18 am »
By the way, on the AJ Sutton site Yamaha ones cost about £42.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 April 2017, 09:54:28 am »
Fowlers had the Yammy cable for about £26 + vat + delivery.

Questioned the seller of suspiciously cheap TSX cables - just to confirm if they really are TSX ones or its' just a place holder pic.

Darrsi: I presume now you've run out of adjustment at the lever end, you have readjusted down the bottom on the sprocket cover?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 April 2017, 10:56:29 am »
Fowlers had the Yammy cable for about £26 + vat + delivery.

Questioned the seller of suspiciously cheap TSX cables - just to confirm if they really are TSX ones or its' just a place holder pic.

Darrsi: I presume now you've run out of adjustment at the lever end, you have readjusted down the bottom on the sprocket cover?

Yeah, I spent a few hours servicing my brakes the other day then thought I'd fully adjust the cable and I also greased up the bearings in the sprocket cover (behind the cable adjustment screw/nut).
What greeted me when I took the sprocket cover off was a bit of a shocker, just huge clumps of matted chain lube, road dirt and oil.
On the bright side at least my sprocket nut was still where it should be.  :lol

So with the bottom end adjusted properly I readjusted the lever end and now there's probably 2 threads left before it unscrews itself completely.
It's fine for the moment but it wouldn't be safe to turn out any more.

tangoflash

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 April 2017, 03:59:35 am »
When I bought my bike in January, I noticed my cable was also adjusted to max, so I replaced the cable, but found I had to adjust that to virtually the same to get the right response from the clutch. A mate thinks it could be a worn clutch rod. Can anyone shed any light on this? :rolleyes

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 April 2017, 08:01:54 am »
When I bought my bike in January, I noticed my cable was also adjusted to max, so I replaced the cable, but found I had to adjust that to virtually the same to get the right response from the clutch. A mate thinks it could be a worn clutch rod. Can anyone shed any light on this? :rolleyes

A good mechanically minded mate of mine asked me if my clutch plates feel iffy, but they really don't, i've experienced clutch slip on my previous bike so i know what it's all about but if i ever get the remotest chance i give this bike a large bit of welly just for fun value and it's never let me down or given me doubts in any way to suggest any slipping.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 April 2017, 01:23:15 pm »
TCX cable arrived today (for £8). However, I'm starting to suspect the clutch plates more and more now, as on hard ride yesterday it kept slipping lots when changing up and accelerating hard. Did stop many times to tweak cable adjustment, just to make sure it wasn't the cable/lever preventing the clutch fully engage - but no difference.

Just pulled off sprocket cover and yep, also faced with tonnes of oily greasy grit and dirt too. Cleaned the lot out, possibly this was hindering the clutch cable mechanism too. Original oem cable I fitted 2 years ago, still appears in reasonable nick actually, no fraying, smooth action etc. Either way, blagged some new EBC clutch plates & springs from Bryn on here, so I'll fit those one of these coming weekends and see how it goes. I guess at 50k the original clutch plates have probably seen better times.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 April 2017, 01:30:48 pm »
TCX cable arrived today (for £8). However, I'm starting to suspect the clutch plates more and more now, as on hard ride yesterday it kept slipping lots when changing up and accelerating hard. Did stop many times to tweak cable adjustment, just to make sure it wasn't the cable/lever preventing the clutch fully engage - but no difference.

Just pulled off sprocket cover and yep, also faced with tonnes of oily greasy grit and dirt too. Cleaned the lot out, possibly this was hindering the clutch cable mechanism too. Original oem cable I fitted 2 years ago, still appears in reasonable nick actually, no fraying, smooth action etc. Either way, blagged some new EBC clutch plates & springs from Bryn on here, so I'll fit those one of these coming weekends and see how it goes. I guess at 50k the original clutch plates have probably seen better times.

My bike's just passed 50k too.

No sign of the bloody clutch cable yet though, ordered last Saturday.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 17 April 2017, 09:20:50 pm »
Fitted the new cable today, and apparently my OEM was a bit stretched as i've been able to screw the top end in much more.
The cable that turned up was a Hi-Lex one.
Gave it a little bit of an oil and took the bike out for a spin and it felt fine.  :)