Date: 16-04-24  Time: 18:37 pm

Author Topic: MT 09?? Anyone buy one? Looking for some reviews from people on here...  (Read 7124 times)

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile

Here is the Yamaha link, this gives up to date recalls and modifcations direct from the horses mouth. All you need to do is enter your VIN number.

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/services/modification-checker/index.aspx
Actually that is not strictly true. According to that link my bike is not one of the affected models.
Having spoken to my local Yamaha dealer today they told me that Yamaha are not sure how many models are affected and their advice is "If you get a letter, then get the free modification done."
Mine is booked in for Tuesday 2nd May. Takes about 40 minutes apparently. Better safe than sorry.
I won't argue the point with you, I would assume that the information on that link would be information supplied  by Yamaha Japan as an advisory to Yamaha Europe and Yamaha UK are just covering there ass. But as you say better safe than sorry.
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
For all you Japanese speakers out there

johnakay

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - tracer 700
    • View Profile
If I wanted to make a life-long career out of
working with the mentally retarded I would
have opened a Harley Davidson Dealership!

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
the lower threaded stud part has right angled shoulder which will shear off if bars are pushed with force--ie they will shear off- and you cant steer a bike with no handlebars.

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Nobody buying an MT10?

MT10 is 10k. You can find well sorted MT09 for 5k.

Is MT10 twice the bike MT09? Don't think so. It has more power. But MT09 is lighter and sharper.

I can do 80 mph in 2nd with MT09 if I want. I don't think I need MT10. Unless you do a lot of track days MT09 is more than enough.
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

positron

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
How does Tracer 700 compare to MT09? Everything same except smaller engine?

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
MT07 is a twin and MT09 is a triple.
I haven't ridden the MT07 but I would think they are completely different bikes (performance, weight, handling, etc).
I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
MT07 is a twin and MT09 is a triple.
I haven't ridden the MT07 but I would think they are completely different bikes (performance, weight, handling, etc).

I've ridden both and they definitely very different animals.
It's definitely a horses for courses kind of thing.
I'd take the 700 if all I wanted was a short distance commuter that I could wheelie and hoon about on at weekends

The MT09 is more the touring, mile munching wannabe sport bike thats silky smooth with power everywhere

I'm sure you could do long distance on the 700 but personally the vibey engine would annoy me. The MT09 on the other hand has power delivery as smonth as butter so that would be a joy to ride long distance

So really depends what youd want it for

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile

Is MT10 twice the bike MT09? Don't think so. It has more power. But MT09 is lighter and sharper.

I can do 80 mph in 2nd with MT09 if I want. I don't think I need MT10. Unless you do a lot of track days MT09 is more than enough.

MT09 is 115bhp.

MT10 is 160bhp.   (MT09 + 40%!)

My FZS1000 is 143bhp + Ivans kit. (150bhp?)

I’ve never done a track day.

Sure it’s 3 grand more, but it’s a lot more bike.

Is more than enougth ever really enougth?

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
Its a lot more than just horsepower figures to the MT buzz.

On the road the only time my old FZ1 was quicker than my MT9 was in a straight line once you get over 100mph.

Much prefer the MT and I really did love the FZ :)

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile

MT09 is 115bhp.

MT10 is 160bhp.   (MT09 + 40%!)

My FZS1000 is 143bhp + Ivans kit. (150bhp?)

I’ve never done a track day.

Sure it’s 3 grand more, but it’s a lot more bike.

Is more than enougth ever really enougth?

The Mt09 isn't even in the same league as the MT10.
The only similarity is the name and the fact they are naked.
The MT10 is a naked r1 with premium features and high end components. The MT09 is a budget triple, its only real comparison would be with a Triumph speed triple? But I suspect the Triumph would trounce it because again that is a premium machine.
Comparing the 10 to the 09 is like comparing a Cbr 600 to a cbr500, they share a name and style but that's about it

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile

I had a good look at the MT10 when they first came out and sorry but the build quality is on a par with the 09. Very much a budget bike, cheap tacky plastic bits all over, not unlike the 09.Which I love by the way, and have owned one for over 18 months now. It is a 2013 bike, still looks like brand new but there again I live in a decent climate here in SW France.
If I had one in the UK it would be plastered in ACF50 12months a year.

Dudeofrude, you say the Speed triple would trounce the MT09 ?? well 138 bhp 1050 cc v 115 bhp 897 cc it should. Also  the Trumpet is nearly £4,000 more the MT09 the only two comparisons I see are, they are both naked bikes and both 3  cylinders end off.
« Last Edit: 23 April 2017, 07:09:04 pm by lew600fazer »

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile

I had a good look at the MT10 when they first came out and sorry but the build quality is on a par with the 09. Very much a budget bike, cheap tacky plastic bits all over, not unlike the 09.Which I love by the way, and have owned one for over 18 months now. It is a 2013 bike, still looks like brand new but there again I live in a decent climate here in SW France.
If I had one in the UK it would be plastered in ACF50 12months a year.

Dudeofrude, you say the Speed triple would trounce the MT09 ?? well 138 bhp 1050 cc v 115 bhp 897 cc it should. Also  the Trumpet is nearly £4,000 more the MT09 the only two comparisons I see are, they are both naked bikes and both 3  cylinders end off.

The MT10 certainly isn't a budget bike. Full adjustable suspension, radial brakes, race bike electronics, not to mention the build quality has been noted to be far better than the MT09 (not my opinion just what I've read from reviews)

As for the speed triple, I meant it's the overall better bike which (as you said) is more expensive so it should be, but you can't say it doesn't compare just purely because Yamaha decided to build their bike on a budget?
Do tell what you would compare the MT09 to, if not another middle weight naked triple??
There is the Brutale 800 but again that's even more expensive than the Triumph

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile

There is nothing to compare it to it is a class of it's own. You cannot compare another 3 cylinder bike that has a 1050 cc engine against an 897cc engine the MT09 costs just over £7700 and the Speed Triple is £10,799, that is like comparing a Skoda to an Audi.
The MT10 I am sure is a decent bike I have had a very short test ride on one when they first came out. The riding position for me was not good , but that was just me as I have knackered knees. I had a good look around the bike and to me the build quality was no better or no worse than an 09. I honestly thought the plastics were  pretty poor and to be honest tacky.
I had a 2009 FZ1 18 months ago the build quality on that bike was really good and certainly better than my current MT09. If I could ride an MT10 in comfort I would consider one but that will never be the case due to health problems. My next bike most likely will be the MT09 Tracer.
Concerning power and fun factor the MT09 has ample in both departments, with an upgraded rear shock and stiffer springs in the forks on the twisty roads the MT09 is a match for most 1 ltr bikes. Stick it in A Mode and hold on.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
But.....can an MT09 do this ?  :lol

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
But.....can an MT09 do this ?  :lol

What, take a bad picture? ;)
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
:lol  FAIL  :lol

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
 :lol  Well, I could post the whole video but that would be EVEN more irresponsible  :D