Date: 28-03-24  Time: 21:24 pm

Author Topic: MT 09?? Anyone buy one? Looking for some reviews from people on here...  (Read 7075 times)

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
MT 09?? Anyone buy one? Looking for some reviews from people on here... Snatchy throttle etc..
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile

I have one and absolutely love it had it nearly two years now. My bike is an early one 2013 and yes the throttle is snatchy, Yamaha did a remap on my bike and it is a bit better, but not great I am used to it now. There are several people in the UK do ECU flashing I will attach a link to the MT09 forum, look for a guy TrippleTrouble (Richie Rees) he is the main man and those who have used his services rave about the difference it makes to the bike

.http://mt09.motorcycle-talk.com/forum/search.php?searchid=448039

The suspension is another so called poor point on the MT09 certainly the rear shock is not great. I am a heavy lad 120kgs but I have played with my set up and it is okay for me. It all depends what you want to do with the bike. I do a lot of long haul touring. In the past year I have been from the SW of France to N Ireland , SW of France to N Wales, SW of France down to the Costa Blanca in Spain 3 weeks ago All of those trips I covered over 2000 miles. Next month I am meeting up with a group from the SX forum and we are heading up to the Ardennes region and Baden Baden in Germany. I have absolutely no trouble keeping up with any of these guys on there Z1000Sx's and given the right roads they struggle to hang on to me lol.
My set up is Givi tank lock bag and Shad soft panniers. The stock seat for me is comfortable enough. I can go from full tank to needing a fill up before I start to feel a bit uncomfortable. The tank is a bit on the small side for touring at 14 ltrs and depending how aggressive you are with the right wrist you can get anywhere between 58 MPG to 39MPG.
On my model there are 3 modes (B) =Tame wet weather ride, (Std) =  normal dry weather,(A)= Animal/Hooligan mode. Even in Std mode if you give it plenty you will struggle to keep the front wheel down. In A mode a lot of sports bikes will be going WTF!! is that staying with me.
Being a triple low down torque is there and when you hit the power band fecking hang on.
It is a really light weight bike @180kgs and to be honest is one of the reasons I moved from my FZ1 as much as I loved the FZ1 it had become to heavy for me as my knees are shot and being the wrong side of 65 did not really need the big boy Fazer.

I have had absolutely no issues with reliability on the bike although I think I may be due a new battery soon. I have over 10,000 miles on her now and she still looks like new, admittedly I rarely ride in the wet now or winter time.
I would say if you ride all year round in the UK with salted and gritted roads the shinny bits will need constant attention and ACF50 plastered all over. The build quality is certainly not as good as my 2009 FZ1 was but it is a budget bike.
Would I buy another one?? probably not, only because I would buy the MT09 Tracer as it is more suited for touring. The residual values on the MT09 seem weak so a bargain bike is out there. Me when funds permit will seek a decent deal for a Tracer but I am sure I will keep the MT09 as well for weekend fun.
Hope this helps, they are a great wee bike and fun all the way.  If you do decide to try one look beyond the snatchy throttle and rear suspension these can be sorted out. Yamaha cannot sell enough of them or the Tracers, there best selling models by far.

MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
Thanks for the write up. Useful stuff there ..

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
Another MT owner here.

Bought mine in 2014. I have spent money on suspension and an EJK fuel controller. Now is an absolutely stonking machine. So light and flickable and as Lew said, wind the throttle and hang on!

I too came from an FZ1 which is just so heavy in comparison.

The new 2017 model has much better looks (IMHO) and different (better) suspension and fuelling so you probably won't need to spend more on that.

If looking for a used bike, I seriously would look for a sorted one and pay a couple of quid over the odds. If buying a std bike I would want it cheap!

acid drop

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Yamaha MT-09
    • View Profile
Bought new in 2015 and thrashed the tits of it over 11000 miles throttle response was a wee bit snatchy but not a major issue, I liked this bike so much that I have placed an order for the 2017 model .
« Last Edit: 22 April 2017, 03:34:20 pm by acid drop »

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
Possibly doing a swap plus cash for my 59 plate tuono

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
Nobody buying an MT10?

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
I don't need an mt 10 as i've got a tuono v4. The reason i'm interested in the mt 09 is because its a triple and i've had a few triples and like them. The other reason is i was at a bike shop and was drawn to a very nice looking mt09 and had a chat with bike shop owner who said he would be interested in a part exchange for a tuono v2...

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
I'm tempted by the MT10.

Completely baffled (no pun intended) by the slip on decat options.
Apparently, the stock can is straight through, the cat is the main silencer and fitting a slip on makes little difference to noise.  So lots of folks have fitted decat links, then after a few weeks take em back off to sell on ebay as the bike is painfully loud without the cat.
And had to laugh at the price of the official Akra slip on – 710 quid!
Small tank and thirsty Hmmm
Maybe I should see if I can get a test ride though. 

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
Fit the decat link and buy a nice can with removable baffle, so you have options with volume....

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
I also think the first mt09 is better looking than the new one and the mt10

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
I keep looking at the MT09 but one thing just keeps putting me off,  no matter which angle I look at them from they look ugly and a bit unfinished. The 2017 model is even uglier than the 2016 but an unsold or pre reg 2016 is only a few hundred quid less tha  a 2017 !
But I need something lighter, and apart from looks the MT09 ticks all the boxes.

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
I have the MT09 Tracer and absolutely love it.
I have done a lot of touring over many years and this is the most comfortable tourer I have ridden.
The upright riding position puts no strain on the wrists or neck at all.
It is very light and quick but also carries lots of luggage really well.
The only thing I have had to change is the brake and clutch levers as they are waaaay too far from the bars for my small hands and I needed something more adjustable so I could bring them closer to the bars.
It also has an 18 Litre tank so definitely more suited to touring than the MT09 (if touring is your thing).

I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
MT 09?? Anyone buy one? Looking for some reviews from people on here... Snatchy throttle etc..

I like it so much that after I've written off one and I have a second one now  :lol

I mean seriously I love the bike. It is brilliant. The throttle is a little snatchy, but that is compared to the smooth carb Fazer. Mine is 2015 model. I believe in the 2017 model that have been fixed. Some people do ECU flash and throttle remap for the older ones. Or you can just leave it and don't bother. Even the older model has 3 modes, A is the most aggresive. Next is STD. The most relaxed is B mode. The snatchy throttle manifest itself by just bike been too much on/off in low revs 3000-4000. If you ride on bumpy road its annoying. But I just switch to B mode and snatchy trhrottle disappears. And just rev the tits out fo it. Whcih is more fun anyway. Or ride in higher gear if you want to save fuel and again there is no snatchiness.

It is very frugal bike some people report 52-55 mpg. The bike is so much fun I really doubt you can make that. On twisty roads here my mpg is 40.

The bike makes 75mph in 2nd gear and almost a ton in 3rd. That means if you ride it in twisties on 2/3 it has so much torque that you will save a fortune on brake pads no need to use brakes at all  :lol the bonus point is the howling sound that the triple engine makes is pure fun.

Also 2017 model has suspension improvements. I am fine with mine model.

So yes highly recomended bike, in fact I can't stop smiling  :D
« Last Edit: 17 April 2017, 12:40:16 pm by Val »
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

Nath

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
I had a go on an MT09 a while back and quite liked it apart from a few things. The snatchy throttle, the fuel range and as it was a fairly hot day I couldn't really gauge the wind blast. I've got my FZ1 up for sale and seriously thinking of pulling the ad as I'm really struggling to see what can replace it. Mine is an approx £3.5k bike that does things quite well.

The next possible potential bike will be at least £1k more or the Tracer even more. The tracer is more appealing to me for a few reasons. What keeps going through mind is what can they do much better than the FZ1? I'm not a knee down rider but like to make progress but the fuel range on the FZ1 can get annoying when the light starts flashing from anywhere between 75/120 miles. The most I've ever been was 160miles with not much left in the tank.

I liked the MT10 when I took one out last year but to me it wasn't really a "Take my wallet" coupled with the fact dealers pissed me off with long, needless waiting times trying to make the bike more exclusive than what I thought it was.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
There's a nationwide recall on some of the earlier ones so that's worth looking into before you buy one. Apparently the owners are getting the letter through this week

It's something wrong with the lower handlebars support which can (if struck at the right angle) come apart, so careful with your wheelies guys.
It affects all the tracers and xsr models aswell as the naked one. I think there's a recall section on the Yamaha website where you can put your vin number in to see if yours is affected
« Last Edit: 18 April 2017, 11:56:03 am by Dudeofrude »

locksmith

A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Can an FZ1 do this !

Mind you nor can MY MT09 :lol

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Can an FZ1 do this !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVWya-Bzb-k

mines can probably do the bit at around 1:10 just fine aye :lol

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
There's a nationwide recall on some of the earlier ones so that's worth looking into before you buy one. Apparently the owners are getting the letter through this week

It's something wrong with the lower handlebars support which can (if struck at the right angle) come apart, so careful with your wheelies guys.
It affects all the tracers and xsr models aswell as the naked one. I think there's a recall section on the Yamaha website where you can put your vin number in to see if yours is affected
Yep. Had my letter through this morning and just contacted my local dealer. They tell me that it's nothing to worry about and that it is just Yamaha taking precautions after some were found to have only a small amount of threadlock on the bottom mountings and there is a very slight possibility that they could work loose. No instances of them breaking or coming apart though.

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile

Here is the Yamaha link, this gives up to date recalls and modifcations direct from the horses mouth. All you need to do is enter your VIN number.

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/services/modification-checker/index.aspx
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Can an FZ1 do this !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVWya-Bzb-k

It surely can, that's rider skill not the bike,as shown here.........

https://youtu.be/-Cms0bkNj7A

Unbelievable skill

locksmith

A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Quiet amazing the control some people have.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
I wouldnt mind having a go at that --------- not on my bike though. funny when they go down they only have about 3 inch to go before they hit the ground so with the right protection bars I don't think much damage is done
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile

Here is the Yamaha link, this gives up to date recalls and modifcations direct from the horses mouth. All you need to do is enter your VIN number.

Actually that is not strictly true. According to that link my bike is not one of the affected models.
Having spoken to my local Yamaha dealer today they told me that Yamaha are not sure how many models are affected and their advice is "If you get a letter, then get the free modification done."
Mine is booked in for Tuesday 2nd May. Takes about 40 minutes apparently. Better safe than sorry.
« Last Edit: 18 April 2017, 06:02:11 pm by Grayo »

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile

Actually that is not strictly true. According to that link my bike is not one of the affected models.
Having spoken to my local Yamaha dealer today they told me that Yamaha are not sure how many models are affected and their advice is "If you get a letter, then get the free modification done."
Mine is booked in for Tuesday 2nd May. Takes about 40 minutes apparently. Better safe than sorry.

Sounds like a long time to replace some thread lock lol  :pokefun 
« Last Edit: 18 April 2017, 06:11:55 pm by Dudeofrude »