Date: 26-04-24  Time: 06:46 am

Author Topic: SNAKE !  (Read 1164 times)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
SNAKE !
« on: 09 April 2017, 07:50:16 pm »
Riding along today on a back country road I see a length of wire or pipe in the road and think " I dont want to run over that only on passing do I realise its a snake about 3 foot long - and that was bendy snake shape, I turned around and went back so I could grab him and get a photo but he had gone. 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: SNAKE !
« Reply #1 on: 09 April 2017, 09:25:51 pm »
Riding along today on a back country road I see a length of wire or pipe in the road and think " I dont want to run over that only on passing do I realise its a snake about 3 foot long - and that was bendy snake shape, I turned around and went back so I could grab him and get a photo but he had gone.

If it was an indigenous snake and not a escaped pet one it would have been a grass snake, not poisonous but you still need to be careful with the buggers cos the spit foul smelling stuff to warn off would be attackers, and contrary to some peoples beliefs they will bite you. 

I worked on the building sites for many years and came across a number of snakes both Adders (Vipers) and Grass snakes, Adders rarely go more than 18 inches long the female is the bigger of the two. Grass snake can, but not often reach 6 foot in length, (Very Rare) the longest I have seen was about 3 foot 6 inches long and I would not have wanted that bugger to bite me, it did spit at me thankfully missed but the stench nearly made me puke, the infamous builder shovel put paid to that sod, again the female are the larger of the species.
Grass snake are not poisonous but neither is a rat but both would make you feel very poorly for a day or two and you might get a localised infection on the would site.

I feel you are talking about a relative when I saw the title of your post Sharpie, well if he was gone when you got back to the spot he was also a racing snake.
 :lol       

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 April 2017, 09:32:46 pm »

If it was an indigenous snake and not a escaped pet one it would have been a grass snake, not poisonous but you still need to be careful with the buggers cos the spit foul smelling stuff to warn off would be attackers, and contrary to some peoples beliefs they will bite you. 

I worked on the building sites for many years and came across a number of snakes both Adders (Vipers) and Grass snakes, Adders rarely go more than 18 inches long the female is the bigger of the two. Grass snake can, but not often reach 6 foot in length, (Very Rare) the longest I have seen was about 3 foot 6 inches long and I would not have wanted that bugger to bite me, it did spit at me thankfully missed but the stench nearly made me puke, the infamous builder shovel put paid to that sod, again the female are the larger of the species.
Grass snake are not poisonous but neither is a rat but both would make you feel very poorly for a day or two and you might get a localised infection on the would site.

I feel you are talking about a relative when I saw the title of your post Sharpie, well if he was gone when you got back to the spot he was also a racing snake.
 :lol       
Yes I went ---- SH1T SNAKE - he ( or she ) went SH1T TWAT ON A MOTOR BIKE.

Wasn't scared about getting bit as I had all my leathers and gloves on and would of grabbed it by the neck --- errr just under the head 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 April 2017, 09:42:26 pm »
Seriously that Mother F would have had teeth 10mm or 12mm long your gloves would not of helped much. And everything behind it's head is foccing neck lol! :rolleyes 

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: 10 April 2017, 09:29:05 am »
We get these things in France. Unfortunately I hate snakes and didn't find out until after we bought the place

http://www.jasonsteelwildlifephotography.yolasite.com/aesculapian-snakes.php

We get Adders and grass snakes of various sizes too apparently. Fortunately I haven't seen any yet.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 April 2017, 05:46:18 pm »
I f**king hate snakes.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 April 2017, 06:52:18 pm »

What is it about snakes and spiders? The number of people who hate either or both is incredible. My wife is terrified of spiders but has a western hog nose snake as a pet, I've had various pet snakes over the years and have no problem with spiders and would never deliberately kill one but wouldn't really want a pet one. My big hate is wasps, evil nasty little bastards with a bad attitude that sting for fun.
« Last Edit: 10 April 2017, 07:41:09 pm by vinnyb »

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 April 2017, 07:10:07 pm »
evil nasty little bastards with a bad attitude that sting for fun.
I thought that when I received my renewal quote from Bennett's last Saturday.  :lol
I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.