Date: 28-03-24  Time: 08:58 am

Author Topic: Exup bolts sheared  (Read 1753 times)

Carlsv8

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Exup bolts sheared
« on: 08 April 2017, 11:50:46 am »
Having a good look  round my newly acquired Gen 1 and one of the bolts holding the Exup cover is sheared  :'( .  Can anyone tell me the depth of the hole and the bolt size. I'm a bit reticent to take out the other 2 as it is working fine, though will have to at some point. Is there a standard way of bolt removal, ie heating up the casing and regular applications of WD 40, or is down to luck, I know this has been covered a few times but there may be a standard way now.
Cheers
Carl
It's easier to get more money than it is a day of your life back.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: Exup bolts sheared
« Reply #1 on: 08 April 2017, 12:25:26 pm »
Hiya,
The exup cover screws are M6x10mm the ones for the valve itself are M6x16mm.The pulley centre one is M5x12 and the small ones on the other end(r/hand side of the bike) areM5x12.
Good luck.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

cl1ve2004

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - vstrom 650 al8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 April 2017, 12:42:46 pm »
most of us who have bought "pre loved"Fazer 1000's have had differing degrees of exup issues..unfortunately they all

vary but be prepared for shearing bolts even after heating up the area around each one.

Very rare to have an easy fix but it is well covered in this forum :D

Dustydes

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fzr1000 exup street fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 April 2017, 01:08:34 pm »

Good luck

Mines in bits at moment broken header bolts and rusted (valve bolts, not yet got to yet but will be trouble.

If I was you I would sort out now before summer, replace all bolts with stainless and copper slip.

You don't want to be doing the job when it's sunny. Like today :-( 

If your taking headers off might as well do the AIS at same time.
I'm tapping mine M8 and stainless grub screws with high temp thread lock.
Or you can go the cap route.

Carlsv8

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 April 2017, 08:01:21 am »
Thanks for the info. fellas, as luck would have it it's the easiest bolt so hopefully I can get it in situ, assuming that the others come out, just need some quality cobalt drills, if I remember from my sheet metal days jobber make good stuff so will get a few of them. Does the Gen. 1 1000 have the same nut shearing problems as the 600 when taking off the downpipes ? Mine are in lovely nick as the bike has had a sheltered life so don't foresee any problems.
Cheers
Carl

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 April 2017, 12:13:07 pm »
Thanks for the info. fellas, as luck would have it it's the easiest bolt so hopefully I can get it in situ, assuming that the others come out, just need some quality cobalt drills, if I remember from my sheet metal days jobber make good stuff so will get a few of them. Does the Gen. 1 1000 have the same nut shearing problems as the 600 when taking off the downpipes ? Mine are in lovely nick as the bike has had a sheltered life so don't foresee any problems.
Cheers
Carl

I've taken three sets of downpipes to my local Yam dealer and they use the method of welding a nut onto the snapped bolt. Poor buggers, the amount of snapped fasteners I keep giving them.

As for the downpipes, the latest bike I had, three of the exhaust manifold studs sheered off, so it was engine out and down to the shop. They galled really badly with the aluminium.

Carlsv8

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 April 2017, 11:18:43 pm »
This bolt is sheared flush unfortunately, going to have to use some drilling 'expertise' I reckon.