Date: 19-04-24  Time: 11:41 am

Author Topic: Boxeye headlight question ?  (Read 1278 times)

Dinger1962

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • - 1987 tomos 50cc
    • View Profile
Boxeye headlight question ?
« on: 07 April 2017, 09:05:45 pm »
Recently bought an x reg boxeyed fazer 21k miles nice condition was gonna book mot until i checked the lights--when i switch on side lights the n/s bulb is on and the o/s has a little bulb lit up but main bulb is out when i switch to main beam the o/s lamp is lit up i changed the o/s bulb but still the same result --am a bit puzzled by this or is this just peculiar to this bike--woah just read that back now am really confused--if anyone can cast any light on the subject(no pun intended)it would be appreciated-stu
MY GRANDAD TOLD ME -WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU MAKES YOU STRONGER--EXCEPT FOR A BEAR THAT WILL DEFINATELY KILL YOU---

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Boxeye headlight question ?
« Reply #1 on: 07 April 2017, 09:16:38 pm »
That sounds correct to me  :rolleyes  if you press the pass switch on the left hand handle bar the n/s bulb should flash. There is a conversion you can do on the left bulb to have both headlights on at same time.

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 April 2017, 09:46:50 pm »
Here's the link for the conversion & can confirm no relay is required as for the M.O.T I have fitted a waterproof bullet connector behind the fairing in the cable which I disconnect just for the M.O.T. :)

GhostCat

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 April 2017, 11:24:02 pm »
Heres the link http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,181.0.html
I have some spare flag connectors to connect up the dipped bulb in the right hand headlight  - but easier to just buy an H4 connector as per the last post in that thread

GC

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 April 2017, 10:48:18 am »
Here's the link for the conversion & can confirm no relay is required as for the M.O.T I have fitted a waterproof bullet connector behind the fairing in the cable which I disconnect just for the M.O.T. :)
Yep me too exactly the same. Both full-dipped lights come on, the reason for the MOT fuse is that the far side for Europe use points into and at the oncoming traffic making it look almost like a full beam when compared to the other light - it would be pointing at the kerb more in a Europe setting. When you use full beam its that bulb that then uses its second filament.

Depending on your chosen place of MOT they may not even check the alignment pattern which would be wrong with both light s on - hence the whip out fuse that when removed converts back to standard.
« Last Edit: 08 April 2017, 10:50:37 am by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Adam2201

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 April 2017, 11:08:34 am »
In case it helps anyone doing the mod, I did it recently and these are the parts I bought:

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk

050205 (2.8 mm female spade - goes into the wiring loom instead of cutting wires)
050502 (90 degree h4 headlight connector - you only need one out of the pack)
100206 (waterproof fuse holder so you can take it out at MOT time to disable the mod)
100503 (glass fuse for the above, they only sell 10 packs)
010102 (cable)

Cost about £14.00 delivered, but I couldn't find it cheaper on ebay or anywhere else

2 solder joints and splice in the fuse and the job's done.

pointer2null

• Ye canna' change the laws of physics!
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - NC750X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 April 2017, 09:10:46 pm »
Save your money and time. The box eye headlights are total junk. I tried the wiring mod so was running both 55w filiment on dip and run new power cabled from battery (via relay) and even then the lights are so crap they failed to light the road ahead. The reflector is the issue - it's too small so most of the the liight stays inside the headlight case and isn't focused on the road.

If you really need decent light you'll need after market ones or HID's - but watch the generator - on the Mk1 it's underpowered and even the basic lightling mod takes it a little over it's limit so the battery won't charge properly. (you can fit a MK2 generator coil with a bit of rework on the connectors)