Date: 19-04-24  Time: 06:15 am

Author Topic: Louder exhaust can for FZS600  (Read 5007 times)

feral kid

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Louder exhaust can for FZS600
« on: 31 March 2017, 01:53:29 pm »

Hello All,
I would like to buy a louder exhaust can for my FZS600 and I have couple of questions.
1. Is it possible to buy universal exhaust can that will fit different type of bikes, in case I would like to use it on my next bike?
2. Will my bike use more petrol with a custom can? If yes how much more can it be? Currently it does around 43mpg (6.6l\100km)
3. Will it increase it's power?
4. Someone recommended me Delkovic cans. Is the brand any good?
5. Can anyone recommend something decent for around £100? I'm looking for something with a removable baffle. And I don't want it to be too loud. And probably made of steel, not a carbon fibre. Can be aftermarket.

JoeyMcEssex

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Guzzi Breva 1100
    • View Profile
Re: Louder exhaust can for FZS600
« Reply #1 on: 31 March 2017, 02:05:50 pm »
Have you thought about second hand?

I picked up a Scorpion end can with link pipe for £50

Not sure about universal but don't expect any real change in fuel consumption or power

feral kid

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 March 2017, 02:42:32 pm »

Considering my budget I am leaning towards getting a second hand one. How can I find one that will fit to my FZS600? What do I need to look for? Is it the fitment type, sleeve length or what?
« Last Edit: 31 March 2017, 02:48:21 pm by feral kid »

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: 31 March 2017, 02:48:50 pm »
Fuel economy wont realy change unless your riding habits change to make the most of the new music.

All cans can be made to fit other bikes. The issue is the link pipe. This is the bit that is specific to your bike and links the end can to the down pipes.

If you look on fleabay you will find people selling second hand cans (with the pipe) for Fazers. Alternatively, get any can and ask a local fabricator to make you a new link pipe though this will probably cost a lot more.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 March 2017, 03:20:23 pm »
Blueflame do a nice pipe for an FZS600, several of us have one, not too expensive, nice sound.
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

drnick1983

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 March 2017, 08:12:52 pm »
Love my scorpion exhaust, sounds like a proper racer with it  :lol

JoeyMcEssex

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Guzzi Breva 1100
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 March 2017, 10:37:25 pm »
Yep I know my Scorpion sounds right because the missus hates it. hehe

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 March 2017, 10:39:13 pm »
Have a butchers on YouTube for "darrsi Quill" and "darrsi SP Engineering".
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

feral kid

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 April 2017, 12:14:21 am »

Not sure about universal but don't expect any real change in fuel consumption or power

If I find a good deal on eBay, how can I check if the can is compatible with FZS600 2002;
For example how can I check if this one will be compatible:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SV-650-BLUE-FLAME-EXHAUST-DUEL-PORT-51MM-INLET-DIAMETER-WILL-FIT-OTHER-BIKES-/152492392224?hash=item2381413f20:g:zrIAAOSwLEtYjxa9
is it just a link pipe that need to have a right diameter? If yes; what is it for FZS600 2002?

« Last Edit: 01 April 2017, 12:15:34 am by feral kid »

JoeyMcEssex

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Guzzi Breva 1100
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 April 2017, 08:46:03 am »
Yes you need the link pipe to be Fazer down pipe diameter one end and the other end needs to be the can entry diameter.

I had to buy 2 new clams so will look at it today for sizes and post them, if the new end can diameter is too big you can add a sleeve to match the link can, in my youth we used to cut them out of tin cans!!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 April 2017, 09:22:10 am »

If I find a good deal on eBay, how can I check if the can is compatible with FZS600 2002;
For example how can I check if this one will be compatible:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SV-650-BLUE-FLAME-EXHAUST-DUEL-PORT-51MM-INLET-DIAMETER-WILL-FIT-OTHER-BIKES-/152492392224?hash=item2381413f20:g:zrIAAOSwLEtYjxa9
is it just a link pipe that need to have a right diameter? If yes; what is it for FZS600 2002?

Depends if you already have aftermarket downpipes or OEM ones or not, as link pipes can differ in size.

feral kid

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 April 2017, 12:30:32 pm »
Yes you need the link pipe to be Fazer down pipe diameter one end and the other end needs to be the can entry diameter.

I had to buy 2 new clams so will look at it today for sizes and post them, if the new end can diameter is too big you can add a sleeve to match the link can, in my youth we used to cut them out of tin cans!!
That would be helpful, thanks.

Depends if you already have aftermarket downpipes or OEM ones or not, as link pipes can differ in size.
I have original downpipes, nothing modified.

So I guess the best option is to look for a can that is designed for FZS600 or at least can that comes with a link pipe which has a right diameter. What would it be; few mm larger than the exhaust pipe?

Is it possible to find an exhaust can with a right opening diameter which will be possible to install without a link pipe?

If I find a can without a link pipe, where can I get one? Is it possible to get it from the manufacturer (like Delkevic or Black Widow)?

If the can is road legal with a baffle on; does it mean that if I will be riding a bike without; I'm running a risk of being stopped by police and getting a ticket?

« Last Edit: 02 April 2017, 01:30:38 pm by feral kid »

Tubz1983

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 April 2017, 10:23:12 pm »
Ive run a baffleless shorty can for a couple of years now, very noisey but thats the point i guess, sometimes i consider changing it for a slightly longer to dull the sound a little but it hasent happened yet

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 April 2017, 01:09:26 pm »
The stock exhaust is a single piece, can and link pipe permantently joined together.  When you go after market the can and link pipe are separate.  The can will be straight and fit pretty much any bike with the matching diameter pipe at the bottom.  The link pipe will be specific to the bike, it needs to be the right diameter and shape to join the downpipes to the end can in the right place.

You can either look for a kit that has the can and FZS600 link pipe together, or look to buy the link pipe first and then get any can you want to go with it.

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 April 2017, 01:10:28 pm »
One more thing, if you go 2nd hand, make sure you get the baffle to go in the can for MOT time, even if you plan to take it out for the rest of the time.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 07 April 2017, 01:29:50 pm »
 I must be getting old. The standard can's loud enough for me.

tangoflash

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09 April 2017, 11:09:52 pm »
I must be getting old. The standard can's loud enough for me.

Same for me, but the big question is: Is it loud enough for all the dickheads in their cars to hear you, as they certainly don't see you?

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 April 2017, 05:22:41 am »
It don't think it matters how loud it is, they won't hear it if you're behind them or travelling towards them cos the noise comes out the back of the bike. Besides which they're likely to have their windows closed and the radio on. Dozy pedestrians may do but nowadays most of them have earphones in. I have  to admit it kind of amuses me the way motorcyclist talk about car drivers as a the enemy when 95% of us are also car drivers. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of bad drivers about but there are also plenty of idiot motorcyclists and most motorcycle accidents outside of built up areas involve no other vehicles.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10 April 2017, 12:07:28 pm »
Never been a fan of louder pipes myself - dont see the point. How often do we comment on twat boyracer car drivers with baked bean size noisy exhausts, -----------stones and glass houses.

The excuse about car drivers hearing us is just a smoke screen and pointless. Unless you do what I have done here

« Last Edit: 10 April 2017, 12:09:17 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 April 2017, 03:03:11 pm »
Hmmm.... I think it's lost something aesthetically, i.e. It looks foccin' awful :lol   and as you're hurtling along at full racing snake speed, the noise is still going out behind you Not to mention what it's doing to your back pressures, added to the 180° bend in the pipe you may end up with running issues.

Kenbob

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10 April 2017, 05:24:20 pm »
Whilst I'm filtering along traffic I do like to blip the throttle and you can see faces in the wing mirrors of cars suddenly become aware that you are there.
I have a motad venom on my 600 with the baffle still in, it's not loud but has a nice deep resonance, just enough to gain attention from cagers who might be unaware that you're there.
Other than that the benefits are purely cosmetic  in my view.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11 April 2017, 07:36:21 am »
Whilst I'm filtering along traffic I do like to blip the throttle and you can see faces in the wing mirrors of cars suddenly become aware that you are there.
I have a motad venom on my 600 with the baffle still in, it's not loud but has a nice deep resonance, just enough to gain attention from cagers who might be unaware that you're there.
Other than that the benefits are purely cosmetic  in my view.

You will probably see them mutter words of complete disrespect as well.
I cannot stand it when bikers give it large with the throttle for their own fun and intimidation.
A bloke did it to me a few years ago whilst i was filtering through traffic on the North Circ. and i was very close to just stopping and screwing his crash helmet into his jacket.
Absolutely no need for it, and nobody appreciates it whatsoever. I've chatted about this to car driving workmates and as soon as this action is mentioned they suddenly think ALL bikers are wankers.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11 April 2017, 09:58:44 am »
I use it sometimes instead of the horn in situations where I think I have not been seen and to use the horn would sound a bit over the top.
For instance on Sunday a girl was trying to reverse park  :rolleyes and was looking over her left shoulder, her window was down and I could see that her next action was likely to be yanking straight back out so as I slowly trundled up I gave a little blib to get her attention. 
Also going around buses that have just dropped off passengers ( as well as giving a wide birth )
« Last Edit: 11 April 2017, 09:59:46 am by fazersharp »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 11 April 2017, 11:30:40 am »
I use it sometimes instead of the horn in situations where I think I have not been seen and to use the horn would sound a bit over the top.
For instance on Sunday a girl was trying to reverse park  :rolleyes and was looking over her left shoulder, her window was down and I could see that her next action was likely to be yanking straight back out so as I slowly trundled up I gave a little blib to get her attention. 
Also going around buses that have just dropped off passengers ( as well as giving a wide birth )

But you're on about avoiding potential accidents, whereas just revving the nuts off the engine just to say "Here I come, get out of my way" comes across as rather arrogant.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 11 April 2017, 01:04:38 pm »

But you're on about avoiding potential accidents, whereas just revving the nuts off the engine just to say "Here I come, get out of my way" comes across as rather arrogant.
There is some twat round my way who rides around going burrp burrp burrp burrrp short sharp blasts instead of a steady - or fast if you like, acceleration then a gear change and you can hear the Foc for miles