Date: 28-03-24  Time: 12:12 pm

Author Topic: Chinese Brake and Clutch levers  (Read 6811 times)

Carlsv8

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Chinese Brake and Clutch levers
« on: 31 March 2017, 07:26:17 am »
Anyone bought a set of the short adjustable titax'ish levers from China , any good or a waste of £15 ?
It's easier to get more money than it is a day of your life back.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese Brake and Clutch levers
« Reply #1 on: 31 March 2017, 07:45:50 am »
I had a set and they were fine for the money, worked as expected and I had confidence in them not failing. I had them in black and after a while the anodizing had a bit of a purplish tinge but nothing you would notice without looking. I had to take out the bush from one of the leavers and use the one from the OEM lever as it wasn't the right size, but that was no big deal. I stupidly dropped my bike and snapped one of the levers and couldn't wait for another set to arrive from China so I have a set of Titax's now, they do look better but perform the same. If I could have had next day delivery of the Chinese one's I would have gone with them again.

Dustydes

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fzr1000 exup street fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 March 2017, 10:53:04 am »

Got some last year but cant open page on ebay any more. Short folding type.
When they arrived the feral that the bolt goes through was the wrong size, seller sent out another set of feral's again wrong size.
Found out originals fitted so used them and got refund from seller.

They look good and have lasted well so far. I would buy another set
Mine were listed Yamaha YZF R1 R6 FZ1 FAZER R6S  £17.48

1st ride out I had not checked bolt on folding hinge, went to brake and my fingers flicked the lever up and out of the way, few seconds of panic as I folded lever back and the braked for roundabout. For that reason I wouldn't get folding as there is no real need on a road bike.   

cl1ve2004

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - vstrom 650 al8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 March 2017, 10:59:10 am »
got 'em on mine no prob..look good and functional too :D

Freck

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph Daytona 955, BMW R9T
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 March 2017, 07:46:36 pm »
Have a search of the forums, there's been a few threads all about these cheap levers.  :)

Carlsv8

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 April 2017, 01:20:54 pm »
Thanks for the replies Fellas, £15 posted is worth the risk.

zed6

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 April 2017, 04:10:05 pm »
used the Chinese levers on my zrx1200-zzr1100 and my fazer,never an issue with them,just check any allen screws are tight when you get them and pit a little threadlock on them,never an issue with them one bit

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 April 2017, 07:27:20 am »
 I would reccomend you get the longest of the two varieties of chinese levers that are generally on offer. I can't help feeling that some of the riders who favour short levers are the same people who never practise emergency stops from speed, on a heavy old lump like the Fazer with 15 year old calipers it is so much more difficult using two fingers rather than four.
The brakes on the Gen 1 are good, but nothing like modern stuff where two fingered braking is pretty easy. I'm sure there are people here who do just fine (probably a lot younger than me!) with short levers on a Gen 1 but if you haven't tried a hard stop with the shorty levers i would give it a try just to make sure.

Carlsv8

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 April 2017, 07:37:04 am »
I would reccomend you get the longest of the two varieties of chinese levers that are generally on offer. I can't help feeling that some of the riders who favour short levers are the same people who never practise emergency stops from speed, on a heavy old lump like the Fazer with 15 year old calipers it is so much more difficult using two fingers rather than four.
The brakes on the Gen 1 are good, but nothing like modern stuff where two fingered braking is pretty easy. I'm sure there are people here who do just fine (probably a lot younger than me!) with short levers on a Gen 1 but if you haven't tried a hard stop with the shorty levers i would give it a try just to make sure.
I've ordered the long set, the oe levers feel natural with their length so have tried to stay as close to original as possible. All down to the Chinese post office now.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 April 2017, 08:27:47 am »

I tried some genuine Titax short levers on my FZ1s, could not get on with them at all, never felt comfortable under hard braking. Sold them on and bought cheap chinese standard length levers , feel a lot better :)

Dustydes

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fzr1000 exup street fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 April 2017, 04:34:03 pm »

Interesting

I use two fingers and can stop no problem. Blue spot calipers are still very good, maybe not like radials but very good. As long as your brakes are working as they should you will get the back in the air before you stop.
I also have XL hands and can get 4 fingers on the levers if I wanted

Kenbob

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 April 2017, 05:55:32 pm »
I didn't realise there was documented evidence that those who use short levers don't practice heavy braking as opposed to those with normal levers which do.

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 April 2017, 11:01:42 pm »
I didn't realise there was documented evidence that those who use short levers don't practice heavy braking as opposed to those with normal levers which do.
[/quote

What documented evidence? I didn't go that far.

ptolemyx

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Busa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 April 2017, 07:18:05 am »
Folding adjustable levers from China on all my bikes. No problems at all, though as others have said take care making sure everything is tightened and functioning properly when fitting. Yes I do feel 4 finger braking is occasionally warranted on the Fazer 1000 when the old brakes don't perform as well as the Brembo radials on the Busa with two fingers but it's no big deal, I have the length adjusted shortish but still easily able to 1,2,3,4 or even 5 finger (I'm from Devon , we also have webbed feet  :lol) braking.
when in doubt go flat out

Kenbob

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 April 2017, 08:03:39 am »
[/quote

What documented evidence? I didn't go that far.

I was being facetious, sorry you didn't get that.

Kenbob

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 04 April 2017, 08:15:08 am »
For your info, I have shorty levers on my thou and I stop perfectly well thank you,  mostly and hopefully not in an emergency but should the need arise then my levers would cope admirally as would I after 35 plus years of riding.
Incedentaly, where did you get that gem of information which suggests people with long levers practice emergency stops more than people with short levers, perhaps if I change back to long levers then I would be a better rider, is that what you're suggesting.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 April 2017, 09:27:48 am »
I am average build but have always found the reach to clutch lever a minor annoyance so last week ordered a pair of alloy adjustable levers from SG Racing via their ebay shop for my 2016 Tracer700. They arrived next day & were easy enough to fit. Rode on Sunday & what a transformation!- I can easily span the clutch lever now which makes gear changes smoother & easier. The front brake wasnt an issue since the standard Yamaha lever is adjustable but I prefer the shape & feel of the new one. I bought them in blue to complement the bikes colour. In fact I was so pleased with them that on Saturday I ordered a pair for the Fazer which came yesterday-fitted in 10 mins-again impressed with quality & feel of these. Cant test ride Fazer yet as my engineering friend is rebushing the gear lever which has worn slightly oval on its shaft introducing some lateral movement which is an inconvenience I dont want to put up with-bike is showing 53000 miles and gearbox/clutch both in good condition.
I went for long levers for both bikes which gives plenty of room for 2,3 or 4 finger braking.
In my experience the blue spots on both 600 & thou are excellent brakes provided they are maintained properly-dont want any nasty 17 year old rubber hoses to detract from braking performance.
I realise I could have ordered ultra cheap ones from China/Hong Kong etc but these were priced midway between the cheap & the very dear ones & delivery was by return of post. Very happy! :lol

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 April 2017, 11:20:34 am »
almost the exact same reason for me buying chinese levers Dave - the clutch was just too much of a reach. The chinese ones have been fine for me (long ones), but the anodising is tarnishing a bit as they age. for £20 its no major headache to buy another set if its a serious gripe.

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 April 2017, 09:38:36 am »
For your info, I have shorty levers on my thou and I stop perfectly well thank you,  mostly and hopefully not in an emergency but should the need arise then my levers would cope admirally as would I after 35 plus years of riding.
Incedentaly, where did you get that gem of information which suggests people with long levers practice emergency stops more than people with short levers, perhaps if I change back to long levers then I would be a better rider, is that what you're suggesting.

No it isn't. I was inferring from the start that it is likely that the first time you find shorty levers don't suit you is when you practice an emergency stop - and i should have gone on to say a stop that takes effort, say from 100mph. I think most would agree that four fingers is best from that sort of speed.
 I was only trying to contribute constructive discussion, not invite facicious comment.
Your first reaction to points you disagree with is to take it personally. Please try not to.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05 April 2017, 01:47:40 pm »
I am average build but have always found the reach to clutch lever a minor annoyance so last week ordered a pair of alloy adjustable levers from SG Racing via their ebay shop for my 2016 Tracer700.......I realise I could have ordered ultra cheap ones from China/Hong Kong etc but these were priced midway between the cheap & the very dear ones & delivery was by return of post. Very happy! :lol
What are the chances that these are made in China to the same standards as the cheap ones you can order direct and that the extra cost is down to a third parties markup and shipping costs?

Kenbob

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05 April 2017, 05:11:17 pm »

No it isn't. I was inferring from the start that it is likely that the first time you find shorty levers don't suit you is when you practice an emergency stop - and i should have gone on to say a stop that takes effort, say from 100mph. I think most would agree that four fingers is best from that sort of speed.
 I was only trying to contribute constructive discussion, not invite facicious comment.
Your first reaction to points you disagree with is to take it personally. Please try not to.

Sorry I found your comment quite funny and in some way your last comment too, how can you say that people will find  shorty levers unsuitable when they have to practice emergency stops, you do know that shorty levers are used on race bikes and on track almost all bends are an emergency stop of some degree.
Shorty levers are adjustable for span too so you can either have a long stretch or short stretch to the lever.
When I fitted mine it was instant comfort compared to the standard levers and also with that comfort comes a degree of extra confidence that I can get to the lever quicker, I hate having my hand outstretched to grab a brake or clutch lever.
I take your point that an emergency stop in not the best time to find out that your brake lever is at the bar but to be honest I don't think that would be a lever problem more a spongy brake problem which should've been sorted before the bike went near a road.
 My apologies to you if I offended you but to be honest some of your comments are quite humorous, I myself use two finger braking for general riding but 3 fingers for extra pressure when  close to shitting myself.
At the end of the day it's what people are comfortable with and with using.
My apologies again, no offence meant.

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 April 2017, 03:54:46 am »

Sorry I found your comment quite funny and in some way your last comment too, how can you say that people will find  shorty levers unsuitable when they have to practice emergency stops, you do know that shorty levers are used on race bikes and on track almost all bends are an emergency stop of some degree.
Shorty levers are adjustable for span too so you can either have a long stretch or short stretch to the lever.
When I fitted mine it was instant comfort compared to the standard levers and also with that comfort comes a degree of extra confidence that I can get to the lever quicker, I hate having my hand outstretched to grab a brake or clutch lever.
I take your point that an emergency stop in not the best time to find out that your brake lever is at the bar but to be honest I don't think that would be a lever problem more a spongy brake problem which should've been sorted before the bike went near a road.
 My apologies to you if I offended you but to be honest some of your comments are quite humorous, I myself use two finger braking for general riding but 3 fingers for extra pressure when  close to shitting myself.
At the end of the day it's what people are comfortable with and with using.
My apologies again, no offence meant.

I did not say a thng about brake levers coming back to the bar, where did you get that from? And if you hate outstretching your hand to use a front brake then i suggest you learn because it's the proper way to stop a motorcycle, no instructor will teach you any other method.
It's a question of leverage that concerned me and the fact that a short lever obviously requires more effort to pull in than a long one especially with less fingers, not all of us have strong enough fingers to use just two, but iits easy with four.
As for use on the track, Ive done a few years of proddy racing and your comment on almost all bends being an emergency stop is patent nonsense, God help other riders if you ever do a trackday.
 I'm not offended by your comments and dont want your ironic apology, i'm a bit too thick skinned for that.

Kenbob

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06 April 2017, 08:36:51 am »
Listen my friend, the fact that you've done track days is of no consequence to me and proves nothing yet you come on here telling people how many fingers they should be using and shorty levers aren't the best levers And blah blah blah.
Enough now.
Do it your way and I'll do it mine, it's kept me alive for 37 years of riding so I must be doing something right,it seems the only thing I've done wrong is to pull you up on a couple of points you made which quite frankly I saw as bullshit.
trust me I won't pull you up anymore because you're a trackday rider and obviously like the sound of your own opinion and frankly I'm not worthy.
Have a nice life and happy racing mr pieman.
Good day to you sir.

Kenbob

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 April 2017, 08:55:28 am »
Try reading this mr smartar I mean mr pieman.
Read it and absorb it.

There is a very good article on levers on a site called lifeatlean.com
Your task is to simply read it and keep an open mind, its all there for you and remember,it's all personal choice.
« Last Edit: 06 April 2017, 09:01:44 am by Kenbob »

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 06 April 2017, 09:23:33 am »
Listen my friend, the fact that you've done track days is of no consequence to me and proves nothing yet you come on here telling people how many fingers they should be using and shorty levers aren't the best levers And blah blah blah.
Enough now.
Do it your way and I'll do it mine, it's kept me alive for 37 years of riding so I must be doing something right,it seems the only thing I've done wrong is to pull you up on a couple of points you made which quite frankly I saw as bullshit.
trust me I won't pull you up anymore because you're a trackday rider and obviously like the sound of your own opinion and frankly I'm not worthy.
Have a nice life and happy racing mr pieman.
Good day to you sir.

Don't presume to tell me what to do. The one problem here is you making things up, namely stuff about documented evidence which you excused as facitiousness (it was actually sarcasm but never mind), levers coming back to the bar and now ive supposed to have done track days which i never have and now i'm supposed to be telling people how to brake, which again i havn't. All i said was 'I have a feeling' nothing more than that, i certainly didn't say anything that warranted you baiting me over things i never even said.
 One thing you were right on is that you are not worthy, you talk rubbish.