Date: 28-03-24  Time: 15:27 pm

Author Topic: Bike didn't start!  (Read 13985 times)

greenman

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Bike didn't start!
« Reply #50 on: 31 March 2017, 06:35:34 pm »
I have to use full choke when engine is cold all year round, unless it's a really hot day, it always sputters in to life then once it smooths out and the revs rise (about 20 seconds) I can turn the choke off and runs sweet as after that.

How clean are your carbs? Just a thought.

Not sure about the carbs. I've only had the bike a month and never had them off. If I get the problem again I might start digging further, but whilst it's running ok I think I'll leave everything attached :)
Glad you're back up and running again, so annoying when your bike won't start for no apparent reason.
There ain't arf been some clever bastards

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 31 March 2017, 08:46:03 pm »
So that's how i parked the bike in the photo this morning, up on the centre stand instead of the sidestand.

Put the key in, hit the start button with no choke.......and it started straight off, no problem at all.

I'm still thinking fuel related so what would cause it to not start being on the sidestand?

Sidestand switch has been bypassed, so it's nothing to do with that, plus the sidestand was down as well anyway when it started up.

You said rocking the bike back and forth seems to make it start so I was thinking your floats or float valves might be sticking and rocking it frees them up so the carbs can fill and the bike starts. Parking it an angle on the side stand would be putting a small bit of sideways pressure on the float and float valves and making them stick worse whereas if the bike's parked upright then there's no sideways pressure on them they're less likely to stick. It's a long shot but I can't think of any other reason rocking it would make it start.

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 31 March 2017, 09:06:36 pm »
darrsi maybe it's time to break out that STP again. :)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 31 March 2017, 09:12:15 pm »
darrsi maybe it's time to break out that STP again. :)

Certainly won't hurt to try!
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 03 April 2017, 06:40:56 pm »
Damn thing wouldn't start again this evening, and it was on the centre stand all day.

It starts for a few seconds then properly stops dead like the kill switch has been hit.

After about 5 attempts and shaking and bouncing the bike about like a madman it catches then runs perfectly.

I have no idea what to do next?

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 03 April 2017, 08:14:39 pm »
Electrical if it stops that suddenly.  Check all connections and wires around steering head  for possible breaks and check connections on back of ignition switch

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 03 April 2017, 08:28:21 pm »
Electrical if it stops that suddenly.  Check all connections and wires around steering head  for possible breaks and check connections on back of ignition switch

I'm starting to think the same now.
Me and electrics don't mix too well though, but i'll have a rummage when i get a chance and see if there's anything visual, but most of the wiring near the steering is all loomed up so it's not gonna be easy.
« Last Edit: 04 April 2017, 06:46:14 am by darrsi »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 04 April 2017, 01:33:04 pm »
i would clean the carbs sounds like the floats are sticking and when you rock it , it lets some petrol through can you hear the pump prime the carbs when you switch it on ?

Was looking at the photo of my bike and realised that with the bike on the centre stand it is leaning back even more than when it's parked on the side stand on the uphill slope.
So i've parked the bike on the centre stand but on level ground so the bike is now leaning "down hill" rather than uphill.
I'm wondering (aimlessly) if something is drying out and sticking in the carbs as suggested when the bike is parked uphill during the day?
I'm clutching at straws a bit here, but it could be feasible.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 04 April 2017, 01:41:46 pm »
So that's how i parked the bike in the photo this morning, up on the centre stand instead of the sidestand.

Put the key in, hit the start button with no choke.......and it started straight off, no problem at all.

I'm still thinking fuel related so what would cause it to not start being on the sidestand?

Sidestand switch has been bypassed, so it's nothing to do with that, plus the sidestand was down as well anyway when it started up.

You said rocking the bike back and forth seems to make it start so I was thinking your floats or float valves might be sticking and rocking it frees them up so the carbs can fill and the bike starts. Parking it an angle on the side stand would be putting a small bit of sideways pressure on the float and float valves and making them stick worse whereas if the bike's parked upright then there's no sideways pressure on them they're less likely to stick. It's a long shot but I can't think of any other reason rocking it would make it start.

Sorry Dude, just read this again.
Okay we're thinking along the same lines here now which is good.

When i gave the bike a quick bounce on the front brake this morning all the wires around the headstock never budged at all. I will have a good look but i don't think it's gonna be a chafed wire, not there anyway.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 04 April 2017, 02:45:44 pm »
Could be the ignition switch, try bypassing it

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 04 April 2017, 07:23:05 pm »

Bypassing the ignition switch?
Isn't that hot wiring?

Bike never started on the centre stand this evening, but as soon as i pushed it off the stand then it started straight away.

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 04 April 2017, 10:31:57 pm »
Recheck your side stand bypass,clutch switch & wiring connectors to the starter cut off relay under the seat.Does the bike start as normal when left for a short length of time.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 04 April 2017, 10:57:21 pm »
Recheck your side stand bypass,clutch switch & wiring connectors to the starter cut off relay under the seat.Does the bike start as normal when left for a short length of time.

Wouldn't start on the centre stand though?
Started fine after getting fuel on the way home earlier.

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 04 April 2017, 11:14:50 pm »
Next time it don't start take a plug lead off a plug & make sure you got a spark from the cap.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 04 April 2017, 11:53:06 pm »

Bypassing the ignition switch?
Isn't that hot wiring?

Bike never started on the centre stand this evening, but as soon as i pushed it off the stand then it started straight away.

In you case it would be cold wiring  :)

Let me know if you wan to try it and I will email you how, if anything it would rule out the ignition switch if the problems remains

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 05 April 2017, 11:50:33 am »
Bloody thing started fine again this morning, as it has done the last few mornings, but I always have issues after work?
I don't see why it's okay after being in the garage (not heated at all) after sitting 14hrs overnight, yet plays games with me after 9hrs sitting outside work?

I've started using 99 RON fuel in the tank and a bottle of STP Fuel System Cleaner has just turned up, so I wanna run that through it for a few days and see if it helps at all with any possible sticking parts in the carbs.

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 05 April 2017, 02:43:39 pm »
May be it's work shy. :lol

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 05 April 2017, 04:32:31 pm »
May be it's work shy. :lol

I which case it would be only too happy to start to get away home.  Maybe it's a workaholic?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 05 April 2017, 06:23:58 pm »
Started this morning, lunch time and this evening straight off today.
No shaking the bike or even taking it off the centre stand was needed at all.

I'm happy that it's done that, but i'd really rather know what the problem actually is as well?
"Maybe" the higher grade fuel is doing something?
I've lobbed a whole bottle of STP in this afternoon so fingers crossed anything sticking might get a bit of a clean up with the two liquids combined.

We shall see.......

JoeyMcEssex

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Guzzi Breva 1100
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 06 April 2017, 06:44:56 pm »
Does anyone know what would happen with an intermittent TPS?

I have had similar issues on cars and it has been either Cam or Crank sensors!!

pointer2null

• Ye canna' change the laws of physics!
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - NC750X
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 16 April 2017, 09:13:25 pm »
Thread is a little old now - but often found on my fazer the battery was a little weak so turning the headlight off would often get it to start. If that fails don't sit they cranking it and flooding it - bump start it if you can.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 16 April 2017, 09:49:57 pm »
Thread is a little old now - but often found on my fazer the battery was a little weak so turning the headlight off would often get it to start. If that fails don't sit they cranking it and flooding it - bump start it if you can.

All lights are always off when i start, and have a new battery.
It cranks fine, just doesn't catch.
In the process of trying something so will report back soon, but off work for now so not using the bike.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 16 April 2017, 09:52:45 pm »
Does anyone know what would happen with an intermittent TPS?

I have had similar issues on cars and it has been either Cam or Crank sensors!!

Bike just runs like shit on an iffy TPS, on my 4th now, but it's a new one now, rather than used.
And the RPM needle will either mess about by moving, or simply refuse to budge, staying on either 0rpm or 10,000rpm.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 02 December 2017, 12:37:05 pm »
Was just reading through this post again looking for something, and the problem did turn out to be sticking parts in the carbs which was TOTALLY  sorted out by using this stuff.
I know it's a funny name but it's been around since 1923 so just allow it.  :lol

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marvel-Mystery-Oil-Fuel-Oil-Additive-US-Quart-946-ml/111872395196?hash=item1a0c1d47bc:g:mCcAAOSwJoNZyGSr

I worked out that a quick and easy measurement for around a 20 litre tank was a half a lid full, from a 500ml aerosol can lid, per full tank of fuel.

I used it for the first 3 full tanks, and now i use it once every 4 fill ups as a top up.

Not only does it lubricate the fuel system, but it makes the bike run as smooth as fook.  :thumbup