Date: 18-04-24  Time: 01:22 am

Author Topic: Bike didn't start!  (Read 14074 times)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Bike didn't start!
« Reply #25 on: 30 March 2017, 07:52:00 pm »
Does it happen when it's parked on the center stand?

I tend not to put it on the centre stand because where i park it outside my work the ground is on a very slight uphill slope, so it can be a bit of an effort putting the bike back down.

I was wondering if the slope might have anything to do with things, but i've had the bike about 9 years and mainly parked in the same spot and this problem has been on and off only since last summer.

I can try it on the centre stand tomorrow though.

In the mornings i wheel it out of the garage, use the front brake to bounce the bike a couple of times and it starts better than when it's outside work for the day.
I thought the winter weather wasn't helping matters but today there were no excuses with that as it was nice and warm outside.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 30 March 2017, 09:37:56 pm »
darrsi,just thinking could it be a electrical fault,connection or broken wire somewhere near the front end linked to the starting circuit,ignition switch if it starts after pumping the forks making the loom move connecting & disconnecting,a mare to trace but worth a look me thinks.

JoeyMcEssex

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Guzzi Breva 1100
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 30 March 2017, 09:46:57 pm »
Darrsi  is the fuel pump giving the dah dah dah then stops before you try to start?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 30 March 2017, 09:58:12 pm »
darrsi,just thinking could it be a electrical fault,connection or broken wire somewhere near the front end linked to the starting circuit,ignition switch if it starts after pumping the forks making the loom move connecting & disconnecting,a mare to trace but worth a look me thinks.

I've considered that but i would've thought it would at least play up once or twice whilst on the journey home, or even cut out, but it's rock solid.once started.

ben17484

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 30 March 2017, 09:59:11 pm »
Got home tonight, wheeled my bike to the back of my car (battery in the boot), got the jump leads out and nearly had everything connected up when I thought I'd give it one last try on its own to start without the jump leads connected. No choke, started straight away (not sure where the power came from as the battery was left clicking after I drained it this morning). Not sure whether trying to start it for quite a while on full choke this morning flooded it or there was a problem with starting it on the side stand  (like darrrsi). Switched it off, ran and got my helmet, started up fine again and went on a fairly long ride. No problems at all.

I'll try starting tomorrow on the side stand but with no choke and see what happens.

Is there a quick way to 'un-flood' a bike once it's flooded?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 30 March 2017, 09:59:52 pm »
Darrsi  is the fuel pump giving the dah dah dah then stops before you try to start?

Yeah, the fuel pump is doing its job okay.
When i emptied the carbs the other day it went off like a rattlesnake when i turned the key.

ben17484

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 30 March 2017, 10:04:34 pm »

I've considered that but i would've thought it would at least play up once or twice whilst on the journey home, or even cut out, but it's rock solid.once started.

An intermittent issue like this that's resolved via rocking/jiggleing does sound like something's sticking or something's loose.
I guess taking it to a garage may be futile as it might work all the time you're there?

ben17484

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 30 March 2017, 10:05:31 pm »

An intermittent issue like this that's resolved via rocking/jiggleing does sound like something's sticking or something's loose.
I guess taking it to a garage may be futile as it might work all the time you're there?

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 30 March 2017, 10:16:22 pm »
ben17484, You defo flooded it this morning if you kept cranking it on full choke,if it don't start with choke on with first push of starter turn choke off before attempting to start again. The battery has gathered enough energy by sitting all day to start but you will need to go on a long run to recharge or put it on a charger suitable for bike batteries.Glad you got it sorted.  Smile
« Last Edit: 30 March 2017, 10:17:29 pm by bandit »

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 30 March 2017, 10:25:46 pm »
darrsi,if the fault is with the starting circuit then this would be redundant when once riding. 

greenman

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 31 March 2017, 01:13:40 am »
I have to use full choke when engine is cold all year round, unless it's a really hot day, it always sputters in to life then once it smooths out and the revs rise (about 20 seconds) I can turn the choke off and runs sweet as after that.

How clean are your carbs? Just a thought.
There ain't arf been some clever bastards

ben17484

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 31 March 2017, 09:26:09 am »
ben17484, You defo flooded it this morning if you kept cranking it on full choke,if it don't start with choke on with first push of starter turn choke off before attempting to start again. The battery has gathered enough energy by sitting all day to start but you will need to go on a long run to recharge or put it on a charger suitable for bike batteries.Glad you got it sorted.  Smile

Yeah, I think you're def right! I went for a 20 mile or so run last night to put some charge back in the battery. I was just relieved and happy it started ok!

Started on the button this morning with no choke at all.

ben17484

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 31 March 2017, 09:27:08 am »
I have to use full choke when engine is cold all year round, unless it's a really hot day, it always sputters in to life then once it smooths out and the revs rise (about 20 seconds) I can turn the choke off and runs sweet as after that.

How clean are your carbs? Just a thought.

Not sure about the carbs. I've only had the bike a month and never had them off. If I get the problem again I might start digging further, but whilst it's running ok I think I'll leave everything attached :)

crickleymal

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 31 March 2017, 09:41:29 am »
I had a similar problem with my bike not so long ago. If the engine didn't catch on the first or second press of the starter switch then it would flood and you'd have to wait half an hour for it to clear itself. Weirdly enough a new battery seems to have cured it although I only changed the battery after the bike failed to start at a petrol station (after me having ridden two miles to get to there).

For my bike the starting procedure for a cold engine seems to be Full Choke on, Press starter button and simultaneously wind open the throttle, the bike will rev up so then let go of the throttle, the engine revs up to about 3k rpm then drops down to 750 then bounces back up (to about 3k). Once it's bounced back up the choke can be shut now matter how cold a day it is.
Malc

Old enough to know better.

JoeyMcEssex

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Guzzi Breva 1100
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 31 March 2017, 10:12:18 am »
Choke full on for morning first starts for me,
but after work, been sitting 8-9 hrs, half choke usually: last few warmer days don't like choke at all works best with just a blip to get it started, if I try choke it dies.

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 31 March 2017, 10:32:01 am »
Full choke if it's below freezing and bike outside.  Half choke if bike been sitting out on windy day at work.  No choke or just a fraction of bike been in garage or after normal day at work. 

JoeyMcEssex

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Guzzi Breva 1100
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 31 March 2017, 10:53:09 am »
Cheers Jules only had mine since Feb so confirms that it seems normal-- but hopefully after a carb balance this weekend will idle a bit better and be cleaner through low revs.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 31 March 2017, 11:12:28 am »
Gently wheeled the bike out of the garage this morning, gave it one small plunge on the forks with the front brake, then it started first time no problems, on the side stand.
Couple of revs, no choke used at all, and it sat and purred no problem whatsoever?

I've put the bike on the centre stand outside work this morning, so i'll wait and see what happens when I go home later.

So annoying, because it's so unpredictable.  :\

ben17484

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 31 March 2017, 11:41:57 am »
Gently wheeled the bike out of the garage this morning, gave it one small plunge on the forks with the front brake, then it started first time no problems, on the side stand.
Couple of revs, no choke used at all, and it sat and purred no problem whatsoever?

I've put the bike on the centre stand outside work this morning, so i'll wait and see what happens when I go home later.

So annoying, because it's so unpredictable.  :\

Unpredictability in a car/bike you use daily is the most frustrating thing. Hope you can get it sorted.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 31 March 2017, 01:13:02 pm »
This is where i park the bike every day at work, as you can see there's a bit of an uphill gradient but I don't see why that should affect starting the bike.

mogster

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - no
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 31 March 2017, 04:48:38 pm »
 nice  :faz darsi  :thumbup black n unpredictable  :wall hope you solve the riddle mucker.

mogster

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - no
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 31 March 2017, 05:05:20 pm »
my bike mostly starts no choke. wont start on full someone said to me that the carbs wear quicker if used badly and the
bike runs richer than rich. so im wonderin if my bike has had the foc ridden of it

daviee

« Reply #47 on: 31 March 2017, 06:13:09 pm »
i would clean the carbs sounds like the floats are sticking and when you rock it , it lets some petrol through can you hear the pump prime the carbs when you switch it on ?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 31 March 2017, 06:21:19 pm »
i would clean the carbs sounds like the floats are sticking and when you rock it , it lets some petrol through can you hear the pump prime the carbs when you switch it on ?

Yep

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 31 March 2017, 06:29:14 pm »
So that's how i parked the bike in the photo this morning, up on the centre stand instead of the sidestand.

Put the key in, hit the start button with no choke.......and it started straight off, no problem at all.

I'm still thinking fuel related so what would cause it to not start being on the sidestand?

Sidestand switch has been bypassed, so it's nothing to do with that, plus the sidestand was down as well anyway when it started up.