Date: 27-04-24  Time: 01:11 am

Author Topic: FZS600 Electrical Fault- please help!  (Read 857 times)

simonnamos

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - norton commando
    • View Profile
FZS600 Electrical Fault- please help!
« on: 29 March 2017, 10:36:04 am »
Hi

I am new to the club - joined today. I ride a 2003 Fazer FSZ600, now on 65k miles, mostly in my ownership. The bike runs great- always has, but an electrical fault has developed over the last few weeks. At first the clock starting re-setting itself. Then the speedo and tacho dials intermittently went to zero, but then started working again. Now if I turn on either the lights or the indicators all the console lights go out and the dials stop working. The engine still runs fine. I have re-newed the battery which was only two years old, but this wasn't the cause of the problem.

Any suggestions greatly received!

Thanks
Simon

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: FZS600 Electrical Fault- please help!
« Reply #1 on: 29 March 2017, 11:10:55 am »

With any luck it’ll just be a poor connection in the bundle of plugs and sockets that live in the box under the tank.
It’s worth doing them all if you’ve not looked at them before, but I’d start by tracing the one from the instrument panel.
Pull the  connectors apart, spray with electrical contact cleaner and push and pull them together and apart a couple of times. If there’s visible corrosion in there I unlatch the contacts from the plastic body, give them a more thorough clean and give the female ones a pinch with some pliers to tighten their grip. Do them one at a time or take a photo to avoid getting them muddled.

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 March 2017, 12:18:17 pm »
There's a large multiplug of wires under the left fairing infill panel.  These are known to get corroded and cause problems.

Which reminds me, I really ought to look and mine and do some preventative maintenance!

simonnamos

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - norton commando
    • View Profile
Re: FZS600 Electrical Fault- FIXED! Thanks for yr replies!
« Reply #3 on: 29 March 2017, 02:00:10 pm »
Great tip, thanks.

I took of the left side fairing infill. Squirted the two connector blocks with WD40 and all is well again. Bloody excellent!

(I had previously taken apart & cleaned all the connectors blocks under the tank and the ones at the back of the clocks -but it made no difference to the problem).

It was the left side fairing connector that was causing the fault.

Thanks again !

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 March 2017, 08:38:30 pm »
use proper electrical spray, wd40 won't last as it evaporates.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!