Date: 28-03-24  Time: 08:17 am

Author Topic: EXUP error issue  (Read 1599 times)

JD-LincsUK

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
EXUP error issue
« on: 29 March 2017, 10:13:47 am »
Hullo chaps and chapesses,

Having locked my baby away for the winter - too much salt around these parts - on my second ride after the thaw, the rev counter started doing the EXUP dance. I didn't notice any issues, so I took it to my very experienced mechanic friend, who gave it a good once over and lubed it up. The fault indication disappeared. Even though nothing was visibly wrong in the first place.

Yesterday I took it for its MOT (just 2-3 miles away) and on the way home, the rev counter started doing the 7,000 thing again. Bike still feels just fine, though.

Any ideas?

TiA

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: EXUP error issue
« Reply #1 on: 29 March 2017, 10:40:04 am »
It's possible that the cables need adjustment rather than the valve needing lubrication check out the link to Pat's guide in the FAQ at the top of this section.
« Last Edit: 29 March 2017, 10:41:01 am by PieEater »

JD-LincsUK

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 March 2017, 09:34:17 am »
Thanks - I'd actually saved all that info when I first signed up here, but I had forgotten about it.

Reckon I'll do a complete overhaul of the EXUP. It could probably do with it.

Nellog

• CBT Wobbler
  • Getting there is the best bit
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2017, 09:10:35 pm »
Hi JD. I had similar EXUP fault indicator problems. I cleaned and lubed the damned thing til I was blue in the face and still it reared it's ugly head. I threw caution to the wind and tightened the cables to what I thought was too tight (no measuring, just went by feel on the spanner!). The cables were tight, with no discernible movement. I then loosened off 1/4 turn and hey presto! No 7000 dance  :) As you noted, I, too, noticed no change when it started but just wanted to stop it happening! Either way, I keeping up a regular service on it.

Dustydes

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fzr1000 exup street fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2017, 07:10:00 am »

The cable can go tight inside the inner, drip some 3in1 onto top of cable and let it run through.

Just rebuilt mine.
One tight cable, needed oil. Could hardly move, now moves perfectly. 
One frayed cable rusted onto cam.Replaced inner cable
Cam wheel rotted/replaced
All new stainless bolts
valve cleaned and greased

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2017, 10:04:10 pm »
i had the same problem and it turned out to be the exup motor. unusual, but it happens. If you whip the motor out you should be able to turn it by hand, though its pretty firm. my old one needed grips to turn it