Date: 16-04-24  Time: 05:21 am

Author Topic: Should I be able to start the bike in gear with the clutch pulled in?  (Read 1057 times)

slinky2000

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
I'm pretty sure I used to be able to do this but it's not working at the moment.

If I'm in first gear (side stand up) and stall the bike, If I pull in the clutch, should I be able to start the bike?

At the moment if I do, the lights on the dash dim but it doesn't start, I have to put it into neutral and then start.

This is a bit of a pain at light sometimes.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: 28 March 2017, 12:10:45 pm by slinky2000 »

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
I'm pretty sure I used to be able to do this but it's not working at the moment.

If I'm in first gear (side stand up) and stall the bike, If In pull in the clutch should I be able to start the bike?

At the moment if I do the lights on the dash dim but it doesn't start, I have to put it into neutral and then start.

This is a bit of a pain at light sometimes.

Thanks.

Sidestand switch?
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

slinky2000

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile

Sidestand switch?

Actually should I be able to start the bike when on the side stand and in neutral?  Because I can't do that either.

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile

Sidestand switch?

Actually should I be able to start the bike when on the side stand and in neutral?  Because I can't do that either.
Yes you should. Faulty sidestand switch you have there.
I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

slinky2000

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Perfect, I've already got one in the house. I'll fit it and see what happens.

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
The switch is a right **** to change.  I ended up cutting the old one to pieces to remove it.  Sometimes a good spray with wd40 or similar can get it working again

The lights shouldn't dim when you try and start it in gear since no power is going to the starter motor but from the other symptoms sounds like it is the sidestand switch. 

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
The switch is a right **** to change.  I ended up cutting the old one to pieces to remove it.  Sometimes a good spray with wd40 or similar can get it working again

The lights shouldn't dim when you try and start it in gear since no power is going to the starter motor but from the other symptoms sounds like it is the sidestand switch.

Bypass the focer, please remember to raise it before setting off
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile

Bypass the focer, please remember to raise it before setting off

That's what i ended up doing, it's in a ridiculously bad place to access.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.