Date: 26-04-24  Time: 04:24 am

Author Topic: Fuel pump clicking  (Read 2642 times)

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Fuel pump clicking
« on: 27 March 2017, 11:15:38 pm »
as I'm sure you are aware I'm having some fuel issues, sorry for yet another post
After fitting air filter and changing oil , I put the tank back on and switch on ignition, the fuel pump clicks away priming the carbs, so after a stab of the starter it splutters to life and dies, fuel pump clicks away again 5 or so seconds roughly and stops , it does this every time either I stop pressing the starter or switch on the ignition, there's fuel in tank and no pipes are kinked, from that I'm guessing it's not a fuel into pump problem
I'm assuming that if there's fuel to the pump then it's not detecting pressure to stop itself and in effects thinks the carb bowls need fuel, i can't think its the solenoid and I've checked all connections and cleaned them , it's got  a datatool red alarm but I don't think it would cause this ?? I can't go back to it until tomorrow but It's off for a carb refurb next week if that's the cause of the problems but that's 40 miles from me, should I just put it back together and get it transported or would it do harm to try and start it

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel pump clicking
« Reply #1 on: 27 March 2017, 11:48:56 pm »
Hi Graham,
As you took the tank off to change the airfilter you would have had to turn the fuel tap off.Is it still off by any chance.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Dustydes

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fzr1000 exup street fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 March 2017, 02:05:45 pm »

If mine doesn't start first time and I turn ignition off when I turn back on pump clicks again for a few seconds. Trying to start has caused loss of pressure.
Have you got a vacuum in tank, try opening filler and starting.

Is the pump filling the bowls, remove pipe from carbs (or from pump and use another pipe) and see if it pumps into a bottle, you could also try pinching pipe to see if it still pumps under pressure.

Float stuck ?   

fuel-spark-bang be careful

Des

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 March 2017, 02:20:40 pm »
Thanks Robbo and des , to be honest Robbo that's what I was hoping I'd done but alas it was not the case , tap deffo on, further to which now upon going back to it this morning after changing the oil yesterday, which when I left yesterday was just above the middle of the sight glass ( it's a cheap oil I was going to run through for a bit in case there was some fuel contamination then change again before taking it to Sparklight ) which has now completely covered the sight glass so some extra fluid has got in there somehow and using the sniff test my nose tells me that it's deffo fuel. So I'm not going to attempt to start it and now try and arrange for it to get to Sparklight for Monday and fingers crossed it's not done any damage.

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 March 2017, 02:27:12 pm »
My moneys on a float bowl shut off valve getting stuck open. Good call on not continuing to try and start it, you could have a cyclinder full of fuel there.

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 March 2017, 02:38:49 pm »
Any ideas on a remedy that I can do in my limited workspace and lack of experience or confidence/ability in pulling carbs or is it as I suspected and recovery to a garage

ste131

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 March 2017, 03:08:52 pm »
Their not the easiest carbs to remove. Let the garage sort them because if you don't fix them correctly you are back to square one and oil ain't cheap to keep replacing.

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 March 2017, 03:13:15 pm »
Thanks ste, all I've got to do now is somehow get the bike 40 miles to burnham on sea now

ste131

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 March 2017, 06:26:50 pm »
Try this website. Used it when my car buggered up to get it to garage. https://www.shiply.com/