Date: 26-04-24  Time: 03:29 am

Author Topic: Air filter, strong fuel smell  (Read 1589 times)

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Air filter, strong fuel smell
« on: 27 March 2017, 02:22:51 pm »
ive just got back from a small break and good weather about so decided to give my bikes a bit of TLC, I decided to change the air filter on the 1000 and I've always suspected it was K&N by the induction noise( although yam stealer told me it was standard and didn't need changing until next service , lying foc wits ) anyway as soon as I took the cover off the smell of fuel hit me, and it's damp to touch on the filter but the bottom of the filter was visibly wet with fuel ( it didn't look clean but it's not minging) the inside of the airbox is oily at the front ( carb end) with some visible oil coating from what I assume is the crankcase breather pipe running down one side under the pipe which pulled of does have a slight fuel vapour smell...... (a) is this normal ??? (b) if not what's the cause ??? Is the fuel vapour coming up off the crankcase breather which I'm assuming could be part of its job and again is this normal, I've noticed that my oil level has gone up slightly ????? ( checked bike level with a spirit level ) which would lead me to think that fuel is the cause ( if so how is it getting in oil ) or that Yamaha dealer overfilled at service.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: Air filter, strong fuel smell
« Reply #1 on: 27 March 2017, 04:44:56 pm »
Another owner posted a similar question recently. :)

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,21993.msg254312.html#msg254312

Hope this helps.

ste131

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 March 2017, 05:01:45 pm »
I would be worried about the needle valves in the float chamber. Could be dumping fuel into the oil. If the oil level is going up then it's probably being diluted by petrol. Needs looking at properly.
« Last Edit: 27 March 2017, 08:53:53 pm by ste131 »

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 March 2017, 06:05:12 pm »
Thanks guys for the replies , it's actually booked in for a complete carb overhaul and clean at Sparklight on Monday 3rd, I thought I'd do oil and filters before it went so it's all fresh once it's done, interesting to see someone else had same question with K&N filter, I've cleaned it up and it's drying but I've put a standard air filter in for now I'll see about putting K&N back once carbs done, I've just drained oil out and considering it's 500 miles old it don't look good and don't smell "oily" more fueloily and not the same as my 600 ( neighbours think I'm a nutter now going round sniffing bike engines  :) )

ste131

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 March 2017, 08:58:31 pm »
At least its had an engine flush! Its a dangerous condition and if you put a bike away for the winter then always best to drain the fuel. When I used to have my shop I used to offer a " Hibernation Service". Drain fuel, look after the battery and service the brakes, then get bike up and running at the first day of biking weather!