Date: 19-04-24  Time: 21:37 pm

Author Topic: Pillion verdict.  (Read 2336 times)

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Pillion verdict.
« on: 25 March 2017, 09:18:27 pm »
 I took the OH on the back of the 600 today. We only did about 50 miles but she's happy and if she happy, I'm happy. The suspension coped better than I'd expected but it wasn't loaded with a weeks worth of female accoutrements + 2 clean tee-shirts and a spare pair of  boxers  :lol  The seats big enough and comfy, the footrests are in the right place and on the whole it's apparently a nice place to sit. All good so far :thumbup

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Pillion verdict.
« Reply #1 on: 25 March 2017, 09:24:10 pm »
Kick her off and ditch the grab rails like this

I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

daviee

« Reply #2 on: 26 March 2017, 08:22:50 am »
what engine bars are they mate

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 March 2017, 10:40:32 am »

Here you are, with code I got them from ebay years ago and also here is a link to a thread about them http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,1655.msg95874.html#msg95874

A few times they have touched the ground on a bend or roundabout - mainly due to a steep road camber, you can see the scrape from that in this picture.
They dont offer as much protection as the big ugly 3 point ones but I think are a good compromise and blen in quite well.

I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 March 2017, 07:09:23 am »

Kick her off and ditch the grab rails like this
I did half of what you said and ditched the grab rail, I've fitted a Renntec sports rack now :D

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #5 on: 29 March 2017, 11:43:38 pm »
i ditched the rail just need to find some 1 inch grommets till i get out fiberglass again
personly i prefer the wench to have her hands around me for 2 reasons
1- she moves around less
2- if arms are around me i might get a hand job lol

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 March 2017, 10:08:06 am »
I've never encouraged my pillions to put their arms around me or hold my jacket, especially the male ones :D  I like to be able to fidget and move around and find it claustrophobic if they're hanging all over me.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 March 2017, 10:45:06 am »
i dont take guys on sports bikes its just a no no to me  - two men close proximity in leathers - brokeback much
on my customs they tend to have a grabrail or sissy bar os they can lean back and enjoy the ride

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 March 2017, 11:13:03 am »

In the 30 odd years I've been riding, I think I've had a male pillion about half a dozen or so times and ridden pillion a similar number, like you said a bit brokeback mounting, but sometimes one has no options, although I quite enjoyed the journey on the back of a 1300 pan European.

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 March 2017, 08:44:36 pm »
i dont take guys on sports bikes its just a no no to me  - two men close proximity
lean back and enjoy the ride........ Hmmmmm in leathers - brokeback much
on my customs they tend to have a grabrail or sissy bar os they can lean back and enjoy the ride
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 March 2017, 09:01:26 pm »
I don't do pillion riding, unless they are bareback ;)
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 March 2017, 11:56:02 pm »
I don't do pillion riding, unless they are bareback ;)

and thats why i will refuse to give you a lift anywhere lol

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 April 2017, 02:08:18 am »
 :lol  that's not fai!

Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 April 2017, 07:08:46 am »
Even the most experienced pillion cannot deal with sudden braking if they're holding on to the rider, it will end in full body weight going forward then a swift headbutt and most likely a chip in the back of your crash helmet.
Years ago i used to take people for a spin, or girlfriends that used to love going out on the bike whenever the weather was half decent, but i would never let anyone on unless they used the grab rail, because it locks their body into place whether accelerating or braking.
Add to that i have one of those rubber mesh rear seat covers which are absolutely excellent at stopping them from sliding about at all, well worth the money for such a simple bit of kit.
Worst thing i found with some pillions is that they seemed to have watched too much bike racing on tv, 'cos i'd slightly lean to go into a corner and they would lean as well like a pillion on a sidecar in the TT, but when i was ready to straighten up they were still leaning. It makes the bike go straight instead, to the point of being uncontrollable. This would normally result in a panicked stop and a quick roadside lesson of "Never do that again."   
I now explain to people that if you think about the little gadgets lorry drivers have to stop their drinks from tipping over on their dashboard that swivel to keep the drink upright when the vehicle turns, that's similar to how a pillion should ride. As long as their body is in a similar position to the rider, most of any movement will be done around the hip area. It works and gives any new (and probably frightened) pillions half a chance of getting things right first time.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 April 2017, 08:40:50 am »
Blokes get the grab rail.
Chicks hold on to me.
I tell the missus to keep her body against me, shoulders in line, so if I'm leaning she is leaning. I also get her to rest her helmet/chin on my shoulder so under braking she doesn't head-butt me.

The only issue I do have with her,  especially on big willowy bikes, is she has a tendency to fall asleep!!!!  :eek :eek :eek
« Last Edit: 07 April 2017, 03:54:11 pm by Bretty »
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 07 April 2017, 12:47:42 pm »
One of the main reasons I permanently fixed my top box on to the bike using metal plates was so it could be slightly further back, giving a pillion more room, but to also avoid them leaning on it as well.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07 April 2017, 12:58:11 pm »
 Agree with Darrsi, safer all round for the pillion to use the grab rail than to hang on to the rider. my OH prefers the grab rail behind her than the side mounted ones cos she can brace herself against acceleration and deceleration, we don't do top boxes, we use an oxford tail pack on the rear carrier which she doesn't lean on.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 07 April 2017, 08:07:23 pm »
I have never understood side mounted grab rails for a pillion, they slaughter the forearms and don't feel comfortable whatsoever.