Date: 28-03-24  Time: 18:47 pm

Author Topic: rear sprocket run out  (Read 1132 times)

daviee

rear sprocket run out
« on: 23 March 2017, 07:29:04 pm »
how much run out in the rear sprocket is acceptable noticed that i have about 2-3 mm run out on mine cant see anything wrong  its a new sprocket no play in the sprocket carrier bearing or wheel bearings , i have ordered another carrier to try to see if it makes difference anyone any ideas ??

Koreanbaz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: rear sprocket run out
« Reply #1 on: 23 March 2017, 07:30:58 pm »
is the wheel definitely straight?

daviee

« Reply #2 on: 23 March 2017, 07:34:34 pm »
yeh the wheel is good its only the rear sprocket that looks buckled

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 March 2017, 10:23:18 pm »
What about the cush rubbers?
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

daviee

« Reply #4 on: 24 March 2017, 06:19:47 am »
Nothing wrong with the cush rubbers wouldn't think they would cause the sprocket to look buckled as i said no play in any of the bearings or cush drive so I'm stumped spindle looks strait aswell

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 March 2017, 06:43:35 am »
Have you laid the sprocket on a flat surface like a pane of glass or a mirror? If it's brand new it may have been hardened or tempered badly.

daviee

« Reply #6 on: 24 March 2017, 04:09:12 pm »
going to have another look  at it at the weekend cheers for the suggestions

daviee

« Reply #7 on: 24 March 2017, 07:32:34 pm »
can i as for some to check the run out on their own sprocket as in put the bike on the centre stand and run it in second gear and have a look at their rear sprocket to see if they have any side to side movement it would be appreciated   

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 March 2017, 10:19:07 pm »
By design, you'll always have a bit of run out due to the cush rubbers so my money is on "They all do that sir" with slight variations on degree of run out.
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

daviee

« Reply #9 on: 25 March 2017, 09:48:30 am »
update stripped it all apart checked and cleaned everything all the bearings seals spacers the lot all spotless , took sprocket off its as flat as a flat thing can be and is brand new jt make cleaned the hub carrier assembled  everything with a light coat of grease where needed , put the wheel back on tightened up everything one thing i did notice is the spindle torqued  up a lot easier none of the endless tightening you get i can only assume it was the old grease and crud getting squashed that made it feel this way i spun the back wheel by hand couldnt see any run out witch i could before spinning by hand so started it up put it into second let the wheel spin and the run out is now almost gone to the point i am happy with it so the only thing i can think of was the old grease and crud causing things not to sit strait

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 March 2017, 10:18:45 am »
Cool :thumbup

daviee

« Reply #11 on: 28 March 2017, 11:45:40 am »
Update took it out for a good run about 80 miles checked  it when i got it back and the run out is back still can't find any play in anything so i have a replacement sprocket carrier and new. Bearing on its way to see if that stops it the sprocket carrier turned up when you soon it their is absolutely no run out at all so here's hoping