Date: 28-03-24  Time: 08:57 am

Author Topic: Header refurb questions  (Read 4397 times)

GhostCat

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Header refurb questions
« Reply #25 on: 25 April 2017, 11:33:33 pm »

Why? What happens if you spray over the old paint?
If you spray that primer on old paint, it dissolves and puckers up off the metal. Try it yourself on a small area. I would be inclined to just do your deoxidising and spray the PJ1 - its designed to be used without primer.
I hope I wont need the engine out any time soon... happy to live with it at the moment.

GC

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 26 April 2017, 04:33:09 pm »

I was wondering if I could use standard gloss black paint on my radiator or if it would be unable to tolerate the heat.

The radiator never gets much hotter than a house heating radiator so an ordinary gloss should be ok. But you should be using matt to maximise the efficiency of the radiator but in practice it doesn't make much diference

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 28 April 2017, 11:20:57 pm »
Thanks to everyone for the replies, I only do 2 to 3,000 mile a year and do winter at all anymore. I like my bike to be as immaculate as possible and the Fazer's pretty good generally with just a few bits letting it down. The front of the engine, the radiator and the exhaust are the main issues so I want to sort them first but I'm not dropping the engine out, so if the etch primer is going to cause me problems I'll not use it, thanks for the head up Ghost Cat. The deoxidiser is phosphoric acid based so that may give the PJ1 a pretty good key anyway. I've used Sperex Flameproof VHT with good results in the past so I'll use that on the pipes. If standard rattle can paint will cope with the temperatures the radiator reaches I'll take advantage of the 4 for 3 offer on Halfords paints and get gloss for the radiator and the centre and side stand and some satin for the wheels. Hopefully that'll be about it but your never really finished are you? I bought a Fazer just to ride and not worry too much about it's condition, though my wife and a couple of my mates (and my tame mechanic) told me it would become a project, but that's half the fun isn't it? I don't mind how much time I spend on it, I just don't want it to cost a fortune.

yemisiblake

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 30 April 2017, 06:49:55 am »
Let us know how you get on. With pictures please!

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 30 April 2017, 10:57:28 am »

I won't be starting it for a little while but I will post a couple of pics soon cos I haven't posted any yet.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 30 April 2017, 04:15:14 pm »
Trying to download a couple of pics but it won't let me. Don't know what I'm doing wrong :'(

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 08 May 2017, 01:01:24 pm »
Playing with my nuts at the moment  ;)   and notice they also can be undone using allen key.
With the engine running to warm the studs  iI sprayed wd40 in to said holes  and it appears capillary action comes in to play.  I could be wrong but then I could be right, give it a try
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)