Date: 18-04-24  Time: 08:19 am

Author Topic: new speed cam vans,  (Read 3063 times)

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
new speed cam vans,
« on: 21 March 2017, 08:50:55 pm »
as above have you seen the new colour speed vans,   they look like british gas :eek
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: new speed cam vans,
« Reply #1 on: 21 March 2017, 10:15:37 pm »
 :useless
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #2 on: 21 March 2017, 10:18:51 pm »
I've just seen a pic of these on Facebook, they look like they are selling Double Glazing!

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 March 2017, 08:02:13 am »
Give us a clue! In what county are these new magic coloured vans?
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 March 2017, 09:25:02 am »
They blend in so well I cant even see it sitting at my PC. No chance spotting one whilst speeding thats for sure!

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 March 2017, 09:29:20 am »
A number of police forces are just now taking possession of new cameras that have infrared light units (3 X times infrared panels) on the back of their vans coupled with infrared cameras so they can now get you in very very low light conditions.

Also one police force has disguised one of their speed camera vans by painting it scruffy blue sticking a tow-bar on the back of it and have what looks like cement or plaster smears or marks over the back doors to make it look like an old builders van. when quizzed about this the police said that they only use the van on roads that have speed camera signs on it.
Seems fair :'(

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-563951/Pictured-The-workmans-van-disguised-police-target-motorists-hidden-speed-camera.html

What I read somewhere is if anyone knows where the van is, Ie: where/what lay-by its parked in with the time and date get everyone you know to ring the police and report a scruffy blue van dumped in a lay-by and share the number plate with all.
« Last Edit: 22 March 2017, 09:38:51 am by tommyardin »

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 March 2017, 10:53:48 am »

“Police said that they only use the van on roads that have speed camera signs”
There are a roads near me  signed as having cameras which only have a trap set up for a shift and it might not return for 2 or 3 years. It’s easy to get complacent and caught… or paranoid (as I have become) and assume every vehicle parked on a country lane is stuffed with speed detection kit. Wasn’t there a similar story a couple of years ago where the police had used a tractor?
Meanwhile, the plague of average speed cameras continues to spread: there are some new ones appearing on the M4 east of Heston services. :(

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 March 2017, 11:18:02 am »

paranoid (as I have become) and assume every vehicle parked on a country lane is stuffed with speed detection kit. 
Yep me too. Never trust a parked van what ever the colour. 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 March 2017, 12:01:47 pm »

paranoid (as I have become) and assume every vehicle parked on a country lane is stuffed with speed detection kit. 
Yep me too. Never trust a parked van what ever the colour.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one then haha
Ruins the ride sometimes :-(

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 March 2017, 12:13:52 pm »
Just practice riding stood up on one leg...  the other leg stretched out behind you, foot covering the number plate.
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 March 2017, 12:55:58 pm »
I don't get the ones facing you as you approach - I don't have a numberplate on the front. 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

crickleymal

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 March 2017, 02:36:28 pm »
There are new ones appearing on the M5 on the new variable speed limit section between Worcester and the M42.  HADECS 3 I believe.
Will the new average ones catch you if you're doing more than 70 when the variable speed limit is off/national speed limit?
Malc

Old enough to know better.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 March 2017, 04:27:03 pm »
Just practice riding stood up on one leg...  the other leg stretched out behind you, foot covering the number plate.

To be fair for the amount of police I actually encounter I could risk not having a plate ato all. I could count on 1 hand the amount of times I've had a cop car behind me in the last 5 years, hell i could count on both hands the amount I've seen on the road in the same period

johnakay

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - tracer 700
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 March 2017, 07:33:08 pm »
nothing new. I've seen them a couple of times over the lakes district.

there was a blue one that was covered with splashes of paint and a ladder on top to make it look like a works van.
got closer yep a fooking speed cam. :eek
don't speed and you'll be fine but don't gover by 1 mph or ya fooked. no more 10% plus 1. :\
If I wanted to make a life-long career out of
working with the mentally retarded I would
have opened a Harley Davidson Dealership!

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 March 2017, 10:05:05 pm »
its just not cricket old boy! :eek

the problem we have is that there are no guidelines now, different forces apply different rules to suit eg. some say we'll let you have 10% + 1 while others are sticklers and will do you if you're 1 mph over. Then you have cops who can use a bit of common sense and let things go or the oppo and the over zealous cop who's writing the ticket before you've even pulled over. Don't get me started on the corrupt ones who blatantly lie that you were doing this that and the other

Its time we had the big motoring organisations taking the Police to book, either directly or through HMG, (but they won't as they're scared of being accused of condoning speeding) everyone knows its scamming for ££££ purposes only, road safety is an excuse.

I know good bike cops who will strictly adhere to speed limits but will speed were appropriate eg empty motorway at 0300 hours and I've ridden with such

30 in a 20 outside a working school and you're asking for trouble
80/90 on an empty motorway is acceptable?
your thoughts gents?

fire never sleeps

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 22 March 2017, 11:11:46 pm »
If people are going to be prosecuted for driving 1mph over the limit then car manufacturers need to ensure they comply with speed limits by fitting calibrated speedos, as opposed to lenient speedos, to new cars with a warranty matching the rest of the car. If I had say a new Ford and was prosecuted for driving according to the speedo then I would be looking to counter act Ford. 
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 March 2017, 11:55:42 pm »
If people are going to be prosecuted for driving 1mph over the limit then car manufacturers need to ensure they comply with speed limits by fitting calibrated speedos, as opposed to lenient speedos, to new cars with a warranty matching the rest of the car. If I had say a new Ford and was prosecuted for driving according to the speedo then I would be looking to counter act Ford.

Yeah but on the other hand Tiger if you bought new Ford you should be foccing prosecuted. :lol

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 March 2017, 08:10:50 pm »
I think authorities who place speed cameras on overtaking lanes should be prosecuted
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 March 2017, 09:47:41 pm »

I actually reckon they'd spin that back on you and say it was your job to make sure the speedo is accurate. After all your responsible for everything on your car. It would just end up being another rip off service that we'd have to pay for or something else to fail an M.O.T on 😣