Date: 26-04-24  Time: 19:58 pm

Author Topic: My Fazer is incontinent :(  (Read 4031 times)

Tiercel

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: My Fazer is incontinent :(
« Reply #25 on: 28 March 2017, 03:25:29 am »
Got the new sump on and fixed the leak 👌

Then tonight I wrote the fazer off :( low sided it when some idiot changed lanes on a roundabout and cut me up. Currently in A&E with a dislocated shoulder and broken arm. :'(

I'm more annoyed about the bike than anything else... the NHS is free, fixing/replacing the bike isn't.

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 28 March 2017, 09:02:23 am »
What an absolute mother foccer!  :(

Can I have my bits back?  :\

Only messing. Get well soon mate. When you're feeling better you'll have to post some pictures up.
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 28 March 2017, 09:01:00 pm »
And after all that !!!!!!!!

Is it salvageable.
The sump must be good.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 29 March 2017, 06:44:47 am »
Got the new sump on and fixed the leak 👌

Then tonight I wrote the fazer off :( low sided it when some idiot changed lanes on a roundabout and cut me up. Currently in A&E with a dislocated shoulder and broken arm. :'(

I'm more annoyed about the bike than anything else... the NHS is free, fixing/replacing the bike isn't.

Crikey Tiercel, that's terrible news  :eek
I hope you're not too bashed up, get well soon fella.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 29 March 2017, 07:53:09 am »
Bloody cagers! That's lousy news fella  :(  take it easy, you'll get back in saddle once you're better.
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

Tiercel

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 29 March 2017, 11:56:24 am »
And after all that !!!!!!!!

Is it salvageable.
The sump must be good.

Annoyingly now Ive got it home in my garage, its developed another oil leak from somewhere  :'( not had a chance to look properly, I dont fancy rolling around the floor with a knackered shoulder. But its bled out probably the entire oil capacity over my garage floor.

In the light of day it's not as badly wrecked as it could have been. It's still going to be an insurance write off, the fairings are shattered down the right side and they'll be silly money to replace for a 14 year old bike. Looks like the exhaust acted as a crumple zone and took almost all the damage. Pissed oil and brake fluid everywhere too. But mechanically its relatively intact. So I think I'm going to keep it, and in my spare time/money make it into a naked and have it as a second bike use it as a daily hack around London.

Tiercel

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 14 May 2017, 12:46:22 pm »

Reviving this thread, because guess what?

Insurers said I could keep it, they didnt even want it. So I thought Id take off all the damaged fairings, and naked it. Seeing as the headlights are crap anyway Id fit a single round HID or something.

So its been sat up in the garage for a month, once the insurance examiner came round and had a look at it, and declared it a write off I got to work. New bars, fairing etc all taken off so I could at least steer it, the old fairing was so bent that with new bars on I couldnt do full lock either direction. Started it up first time with no problem whatsoever, took it for a test ride around the block, 5 minutes max. Satisfied it was working ok. Put it back in the garage... thismorning... theres a puddle of oil underneath it.

From exactly the same place.

Theres a hairline crack in exactly the same place as the old sump

I cant for the life of me figure out why this is happening... I checked the new sump thoroughly, caked it in white spirit and scrubbed it til it was shining to make sure there was no cracks or other hidden surprises. Theres no moving parts inside the sump to be fouling it... I used a torque wrench to tighten the bolts to the correct torque in the manual... and a 5 minute ride has been enough to cause exactly the same crack to appear.

WHAT THE FOC?  :wall

What now? Do I try a 3rd sump? A friend has suggested taking the original sump to a garage and seeing if they can weld the crack, put it back on and see if it cracks again or if another fault develops. I think the sump is aluminium I didnt think that was weldable? Or perhaps some liquid metal weld stuff in the crack? But the heat expansion seems to make the crack worse over time, so I dont know if a repair would hold. Im quickly losing my rag with this bike. I love it and I want to keep it, plus the amount theve offered me is a mere pittance thats not enough to buy a replacement bike (£930, Im haggling in the hope for more... even the cheapest Fazers on eBay/Autotrader are around £12-1300)

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 14 May 2017, 01:01:47 pm »
Sorry to hear about the tangle with a cage.

I can really see from the pictures as they only really show where the oils ending up that's not necessarily where it's coming from,  I would take a look at the front sprocket oil seal.   
Later

Tiercel

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 14 May 2017, 01:14:02 pm »
I know where the leak is coming from, its from exactly the same place as the old one  :'(  Theres a hairline crack in the sump around one of the housing bolts. I just cant figure out why!

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 14 May 2017, 01:38:06 pm »
I know where the leak is coming from, its from exactly the same place as the old one  :'(  Theres a hairline crack in the sump around one of the housing bolts. I just cant figure out why!

That will do it possibly been over tightened at some point before you got it.  Easy fix take the sump off you should be good at that now  :D  you've got 2 main options get it welded (best) or do it yourself (can work really well but there's a chance it won't) clean the area inside and out with brake cleaner at the top of the crack drill a very small hole, this will prevent more cracking.  Plug the hole with aluminium rod the same diameter as the whole use bearing fit on the rod/hole, let it set.  Now ruff up (don't go mad 600 grit is fine) the areas either side of the crack to a depth of about 10mm and over the plugged hole. Mix up enough Araldite to cover the crack inside and out, let it cure over night so it's set.  That should do it.       
« Last Edit: 15 May 2017, 06:04:38 am by Gnasher »
Later

Tiercel

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 14 May 2017, 02:16:01 pm »
Out of the two, getting it welded sounds like the better option! DIY sounds like a faff waiting to go wrong  :lol

I'll see if I can get the old one welded up, put it back on and hope for the best. If it cracks again I dont even know what Ill do... probably put the bike in the bin. 

daviee

« Reply #36 on: 14 May 2017, 07:24:53 pm »
when you take it off take some pics see if we can figure it out