Date: 25-04-24  Time: 14:47 pm

Author Topic: single headlight conversion  (Read 4381 times)

drnick1983

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
single headlight conversion
« on: 18 March 2017, 08:57:10 pm »
Put this in the wrong bit so re-posted here  :rolleyes

Hi All,new member, registered today in the hope that another fazer owner could point me in the right direction. I am taking my tatty fairing off my 98 Fazer 600 and hoping to do a street fighter mod on it. I have got to the headlight and have a problem.Ill post the pictures to explain better.My existing wiring for the headlights are:

and this one

and this one

but I only have this on the new headlight:

Have i got any hope in hell in connecting this up?

Any pointers would be much appreciated

Thanks

Ben
« Last Edit: 18 March 2017, 08:59:57 pm by drnick1983 »

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
Re: single headlight conversion
« Reply #1 on: 19 March 2017, 12:01:27 am »
god knows what that new connector is but forget it for now
you need a male h4 connector from your local auto supplier (few quid)
use a multimeter to check this as cant be arsed going down garage to check (in warmth with beer)
pic 1 -lower(left) = earth /// upper (right) = high beam (or vise versa)
pic 2 - as before but top is your low beam
pic 3 - your side light - you have to figure which is + / -

easiest way to determin the correct setup is to use more wire than you need to make sure then shorten once you know it is correct
advise -buy shrink wrap and lift your tank to see where you can make things tidier
h4 plugs are ugly but help in early setup stages

i am doing similar over next few weeks as i run dominators but in an untidy way untill i get my speedo sorted

as your going streetfighter aswell you might want to add my youtube as i will be vloggin most of the build (check signature )
! No longer available
« Last Edit: 19 March 2017, 12:03:08 am by Disorderlypunk »

drnick1983

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 March 2017, 10:33:26 pm »
Hey Thanks for the post.

Had another go today and wired it up ok in the end.

For reference about the wires, I had a search and found the following:

- Black wires are earth
- Black and blue is main beam
- Black and yellow is high beam
- blue and brown (i think, its on the 2 pin plug) is the side lights.

Bought the connector from Halfrauds and check it against the wiring diagram for the new headlight and all ok :-)

Just got to figure out what to do with the clocks now. Ended up doing a temporary fix by getting a hacksaw to the fairing bracket but while everything else moves, the clocks dont and it looks wierd as hell!

Cant seem to find any aftermarket brackets for the clocks and they sit right out over the headlight so getting a flyscreen to hide all the shite wires etc will be difficult

Ill check out your youtube channel thanks
« Last Edit: 19 March 2017, 10:36:22 pm by drnick1983 »

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #3 on: 19 March 2017, 11:34:26 pm »
that is exactly what i did on mine and it still sits like that until i get a jigsaw to do my new bracket for the koso style speedo

drnick1983

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 March 2017, 08:03:38 pm »
Thought id reply to this to give a few people ideas.

Mounted my clocks from the handlebars in the end. I got a set of 22mm wing mirror (10mm) brackets and then made a spacer to attach to the bottom of the clocks, they are a little wobbly but they do the job.

Liked the look of it like this, but the wires were untidy

I then got a universal fly screen and after some mucking about got it bolted into the headlight bolts. Ended up turning the fittings upside down to get the angle right. Just need to pull the screen etc up a bit more to hide the bottom of the clock and all done.

Not a bad job considering I have never done something like that!

« Last Edit: 31 March 2017, 08:18:48 pm by drnick1983 »

Tiercel

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 April 2017, 11:04:38 pm »
Having just thrown my Fazer sideays down the road, Ill be doing something very similar to this and watching this thread with great interest!

Hows that single lamp doing? I mean not that it can be much worse than the absolutely bloody awful original boxeye headlights. Im having trouble finding something online thats not a cheap £10 "universal round headlight" eBay special, I want something that actually puts out a good amount of light. Any recommendations?

Reilly1989

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 April 2017, 08:42:49 am »
Ive just done this to mine. I cut off the two plugs and messed about with the wires to see what done what with ignition on as i never had a wiring diagram. Struggling to mount the clocks though. I like the look of drnick1983s handlebar mount. Where did you get the brackets?

drnick1983

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 April 2017, 09:17:24 am »

Hows that single lamp doing? I mean not that it can be much worse than the absolutely bloody awful original boxeye headlights. Im having trouble finding something online thats not a cheap £10 "universal round headlight" eBay special, I want something that actually puts out a good amount of light. Any recommendations?

It's ok, but not great. I'd say you get the same amount of light on full beam out of the standard lights. I have been adjusting the tilt of the lamp after rides so it may be better. It may also be down to the quality of the lamp. You may be able to get HID or whatever they are called

drnick1983

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 April 2017, 09:30:04 am »
Ive just done this to mine. I cut off the two plugs and messed about with the wires to see what done what with ignition on as i never had a wiring diagram. Struggling to mount the clocks though. I like the look of drnick1983s handlebar mount. Where did you get the brackets?

Got the brackets on eBay

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/330939492883?_mwBanner=1

Made up a couple of extentions as the handle bars weren't quite wide enough, you only need them about 5-10cm long to give you the ability to position them
« Last Edit: 02 April 2017, 09:34:42 am by drnick1983 »