Date: 29-03-24  Time: 02:08 am

Author Topic: Silent Sprockets, worth fitting?  (Read 1487 times)

AJM

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Silent Sprockets, worth fitting?
« on: 12 March 2017, 08:22:09 am »
Morning all, i'm about to replace my chain & sprockets and thinking about getting a silent set with cushioned sprockets. Has anybody fitted them to their machines and did it make a significant difference, thanks in advance for any info. Happy riding all  :thumbup
Red Fazers, making good roads great roads.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Silent Sprockets, worth fitting?
« Reply #1 on: 12 March 2017, 09:31:39 am »

I've only fitted the front with an OE sprocket once, I guess it was a bit quieter… but, then again, a new C&S is always quieter than a loose old set anyway.
I have even less idea of how much difference a "silent" rear sprocket might make to noise levels, but it looks as if it might interfere with the delivery of oil by the scottoiler so that puts me off.

daviee

« Reply #2 on: 12 March 2017, 09:37:10 am »
never found a decent chain and sprocket set to be noisy in the first place personally i wouldnt spend  extra on it

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #3 on: 13 March 2017, 01:46:05 am »
had never heard of these so off i went to have a look as i thought i must be misunderstanding
nope a sprocket that makes less noise - erm i cant hear mine anyhow except when pushing around the garage
its just one more fail point on something that takes a huge amount of force
it is no more than a gimmick - im not saying it doesnt work (nearly liable there) but i am saying it is pointless IMO

AJM

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 March 2017, 07:41:55 am »
Thanks for the replies chaps, i'd never come across them either but they popped up during an internet search. I agree a good set of well maintained standard C&S is quiet but i thought it would be worth a look.
Since i've owned my bike the chain has required regular fettling so i decided to change the lot to put my mind at ease, if i go with the cushioned sprockets i'll post some feedback, positive or negative.
Happy riding all  :thumbup   

AJM

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 March 2017, 02:45:13 pm »
So, after much waiting around for some sunshine to test the 'silent' sprocket set with new chain i eventually made it out for a blast over the weekend.
Now i know my old set on the bike were knackered so anything would have been an improvement, but these are great, no more whiney gear box caused by uneven pressure on the output shaft, smoother gear change and no more vibrations from the footpegs, great result. Happy riding all  :thumbup

Bimbam

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 March 2017, 04:21:24 pm »
Hi AJm. What and Where did you buy it?  :)
Dont try to be the best in town, just be the best, until the best come arround

AJM

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 March 2017, 08:35:13 am »
Hi Bimbam, i sourced them off ebay, just searched for C&S set and the silent set came up along with the normal sets, about £30 more. For the improvment it's made to my bike it was worth the extra, i'll try to post the link later.