Date: 29-03-24  Time: 11:17 am

Author Topic: Most memorable moment on a bike  (Read 5040 times)

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Most memorable moment on a bike
« Reply #25 on: 17 March 2017, 11:42:46 am »
This is gonna sound pretty lame next to you all but here goes...

Six months after doing my CBT i went back to the school and did an "Introduction To Big Bikes" session, where I rode round a private car park for three hours.
Six months on an XV125 hadn't prepared me for the explosive power of a Kawasaki ER5!  :rollin
I was so used to gunning it on my XV when pulling away  (they're slow even for a 125) that when I did the same on the ER I damn near slid off the back. I remember bollocking towards this brick wall thinking "SHITSHITSHITI'MNOTGONNASTOP!!", but then slammed the brake on and planted my stomach on the fuel tank. Then dropped the bike when it came to a halt.

It made me realise that, like the instructor said, bikes are Ferrari performance for Fiesta money.  :lol
I had a similar moment with my first “big” bike (only a GPZ305, but with a light rider they’re quite quick off the line). I’d bought it brand new and the dealership was on a busy roundabout in Horsham. I should have taken the easy option and ridden south to get used to the feel of the bike, but decided to head for home which meant I needed to get across to the inside lane of the roundabout. A small gap in the traffic appeared and I went for it… shot across two lanes in about a quarter of the time I’d anticipated and only narrowly avoided smashing into the brick wall on the inside. Writing the bike off after 40 metres use would have been an embarrassingly short life… but in the end it lasted 78,000 miles.

johnakay

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - tracer 700
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 17 March 2017, 09:40:26 pm »
pushing a Suzuki 350 rebel 3 miles home in sweltering heat thought I'd run out of petrol..
only to be told when I got home by one of my mates did you turn the fuel tap onto reserve :'(
If I wanted to make a life-long career out of
working with the mentally retarded I would
have opened a Harley Davidson Dealership!

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 17 March 2017, 10:02:18 pm »
A few pop to mind...

One when I was 16, me and my mate thought we were mechanics and tried to 'tune' his 125cc moped.
After pissing about with the carbs and throttle I decided to take it for a quick test ride. I managed to get about 5 metres out of his garage when the throttle stuck on which propelled me into a knee high wall in front of a bush. Luckily it wasn't going fast enough to crash but still enough to throw me forward.
So my mate comes running out to see what's happened and is greeted by me with my head and shoulders stuck in a bush with my arse sticking out, legs still on the moped, the throttle still fully open making a horrendous racket
We still chuckle about it to this day

the cueball

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - zx12r, H2, RC51, MT09, Pan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 17 March 2017, 10:07:34 pm »
I took 3 months out to ride my 25 year old Pan European around Europe a few years ago.

every day, just riding to different places, finding great roads, chilling out.. it was amazing.

The old bus took me from sea level, through to mountain peaks and everything in between... sunny days and snowing...

It was an awesome trip....

I'm lucky enough to do the same with the USA in 2 weeks... going to be pretty cool too....

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 17 March 2017, 11:31:18 pm »
Every single second spent riding this:

As every one I thought would be my last  :eek   :lol

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 18 March 2017, 05:33:34 am »
Watching my mate crash behind me when he thought we couldn't make this corner, he grabbed a handful of front brake thinking I was going down and I saw him disappear off the road in my mirrors
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 20 March 2017, 11:19:53 pm »

Breaking my ankle on my Triumph Bonnie 40 years ago last week. Only time I have ever broken any bones on a motorbike.
I was shagging my bird who was up front with her back to the petrol tank. Just as I was getting to the vinegar strokes the fecking bike fell off the centre stand and over we went. You try picking up a Bonnie with a, as it turned out broken ankle. Better still try kick starting it as well and riding it home.My Dad had to cut my boot off my ankle was so swollen.
Next day my girl friends Dad is round kicking off about her arms and knees being skinned and how I was never to take her on the bike again. If he only had known the truth about how his daughter was being taken lol.
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 20 March 2017, 11:36:38 pm »

Breaking my ankle on my Triumph Bonnie 40 years ago last week. Only time I have ever broken any bones on a motorbike.
I was shagging my bird who was up front with her back to the petrol tank. Just as I was getting to the vinegar strokes the fecking bike fell off the centre stand and over we went. You try picking up a Bonnie with a, as it turned out broken ankle. Better still try kick starting it as well and riding it home.My Dad had to cut my boot off my ankle was so swollen.
Next day my girl friends Dad is round kicking off about her arms and knees being skinned and how I was never to take her on the bike again. If he only had known the truth about how his daughter was being taken lol.

Class :rollin :rollin :rollin
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!