Date: 29-03-24  Time: 08:58 am

Author Topic: Most memorable moment on a bike  (Read 5034 times)

Carlsv8

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Most memorable moment on a bike
« on: 12 March 2017, 07:30:13 am »
Mine was riding across the Millau Bridge (English architect ) on a tour of France.  Any better ?
It's easier to get more money than it is a day of your life back.

scoobiemandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Most memorable moment on a bike
« Reply #1 on: 12 March 2017, 08:00:51 am »
Nope.....you win ;)

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 March 2017, 08:12:57 am »
Do crashes count? They may not be scenic but they're certainly memorable  :lol
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 March 2017, 08:21:47 am »
Was going to post the same CELTICDOG   :o ...thought better of it.....most memorable for me.......years ago on L plates , went from a honda xl 100 s to a brand new suzuki gt 250 x7 , spent the first 1000 miles carefully running it in probs not exceeding 3000 ish rpm until the day came when the trip turned 1000 and i opened it up for the first time    :eek :eek :eek .....happy days   :lol
One, is never going to be enough.....

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 March 2017, 10:08:17 am »

Probably an area well known to many in the South East: the bends at Mickleham on the A24 northbound used to be on my regular commute to work. For some reason most of the traffic used slow down and pull over to the left hand lane on the approach to that fantastic right-hander, leaving a lane clear for me to sweep past at twice their speed with my elbow getting brushed by the long grass on the verge. A clear run with a dry road would put a grin on my face that lasted all day.
That was in the mid 1980's, it's now policed by Gatsoes of course. :z

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 March 2017, 10:48:27 am »
Third gear two up wheelie on my LC, falling over on the Donnington campsite and laughing so hard my friend and I couldn't lift the bike off of us, being thrown off my mates GS750 when we decided to tow it behind his car (very funny moment) Following a Fazer1000 that was all locked up going into a roundabout when he stamped on the rear brake in panic at about 140, flying by a patch club on Harleys on the top Loch Ness road, going under them, round the outside etc in about four corners, having to fight my way to my Kat at Matlock after finishing rebuilding it................

If you think about it, there are just to many moments to list

Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 March 2017, 12:25:16 pm »
Getting into a mutha of a tank slapper on my Kwak 750 turbo. Hadn't even passed my test, snuck the bike out late at night. Scared the living bejaysus out of me, and taught me to respect the power of such bikes. Somehow, even with my lack of experience at the time, I instinctively knew not to touch the brakes, just gently ease off the throttle and pray it would sort itself out, which thankfully, it did. Only tank slapper I've ever experienced, which is just fine by me  :eek

Joe, I think you're right though, there are quite a few when I stop to think about it. I too have one of a two-up wheelie on an LC - not mine though, my brother's. Throttle stuck as I gave it some beans from the lights. Dragged his arse along the ground for a few yards before toppling over. He couldn't sit down in the taxi we had to get home  :lol  The number plate got pride of place hanging from the bike club hut ceiling, as no one had ever scraped the letters off the face of one like that before  :lol

Carlsv8

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 March 2017, 01:45:41 pm »
Should've named this 'Near death experiences ' I think  :D
It's easier to get more money than it is a day of your life back.

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 March 2017, 01:56:21 pm »
Getting into a mutha of a tank slapper on my Kwak 750 turbo. Hadn't even passed my test, snuck the bike out late at night. Scared the living bejaysus out of me, and taught me to respect the power of such bikes. Somehow, even with my lack of experience at the time, I instinctively knew not to touch the brakes, just gently ease off the throttle and pray it would sort itself out, which thankfully, it did. Only tank slapper I've ever experienced, which is just fine by me  :eek

Joe, I think you're right though, there are quite a few when I stop to think about it. I too have one of a two-up wheelie on an LC - not mine though, my brother's. Throttle stuck as I gave it some beans from the lights. Dragged his arse along the ground for a few yards before toppling over. He couldn't sit down in the taxi we had to get home  :lol  The number plate got pride of place hanging from the bike club hut ceiling, as no one had ever scraped the letters off the face of one like that before  :lol

I've had numerous tank slappers over the years, three pant fillers were, VF500 with slow puncture in the rain mid s bend, on coming tragic and I'm heading straight for them out of control, same bike over three drain covers cranked over, first two were ok but needed to lean further for the last, tyre broke traction then gripped, was thrown straight up, knee caught my handlebar stopping me from being completely ejected, landed back on the seat, feet on the floor then the bars went lock to lock. Last was in a straight line, talking to a friend with one hand on my bars my front wheel dropped into a sharp dip in the road caused by subsidence, all my weight pushed on my right bar, think ultimate counter steer, bike dropped like a stone to the right but somehow I stabbed at the road with my foot and stood the bike back up. The tankslapper was so violent it broke the cap of the valve for the air forks. My mate couldn't believe I stayed on, the front wheel was off the road when it flipped sideways.
The joy's of motorcycles
Notice that both bikes had 16 " front wheels

JoeyMcEssex

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Guzzi Breva 1100
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 March 2017, 02:14:06 pm »
In my younger days had a yam US custom, missus was on back, when I took my eyes off the road to ogle a brand new cbx at roadside, turned round just in time to see the Lada estate in front had stopped. Hit the back of it, missus landed in front of it I hit the tailgate.

But when I stood up the bike was sitting perfectly upside down with the front wheel spinning, Forks were fubarred but it was unreal, no phones with cameras in those days.

What made it worse was that I walked towards the bike first, she has never forgiven me for it and rags me to this day.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 March 2017, 04:28:45 pm »
Riding side by side with my brother he on his bike each with our arms stretched out and with a hand each on (some ) of my Mums ashes as we road along a particular lane and sprinkled them out as we road.
She always loved it on the back and so we took a small amount of her ashes out for one last ride. Its nice sometimes to go out for a ride and I would find myself riding down that lane, much better than any grave yard.   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 March 2017, 08:47:45 pm »
There's just too many, seriously too many - mostly 350YPVS based,
Like the time my wife was riding (I'm pillion) and she is paying absolutely no attention to the traffic in front. Its all come to a halt, except for us - we ended up side ways!
Then there was another time she took the wrong exit of a roundabout - once again I was pillion. All was well until she went for the sweeping turn around on a peaky  2 stroke on the loose gravel which lies on the lead into many junctions...

And then there's the moment - still pillion, following a caravan etc along the A40, I suggested that following the roundabout she needed to give it the beans to get past.....
Thats when she learnt what the PVS meant!!!

Or when I exited a roundabout on a GSX1100FL, going round the outside of a VFR750.
35 years, where do you start/finish?  :lol :lol :lol

Billy Balthorpe

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 2 X 1987 fzr1000's, VN800
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 March 2017, 11:23:50 pm »

A few that spring to mind.

2006 riding a £600 FJ1100 through the Atlas mountains one crisp, sunny, traffic free, April morning with no helmet, cool wind in the hair, beautiful scenery.
2000 Blasting past all the supercars riding into Monaco when the F1 was on.
1988 350YPVS N, riding 300 miles down to St Ives on my own to my mates, and getting into a race with a guy on a Harley over Bodmin Moor, after about 20 miles of madness we stopped for a dodgy roll up and a laugh.
1989 350YPVS N, arriving at St Ives and sitting outside the Ginsters shop next to The Sloop on the front with a pastie and a pint and watching my mate wheelie his 350LC down the front past a PC and WPC walking along holding hands, they never said a word.
2012. Parking up in Tossa De Mar and watching the Brit bikers walking past on holiday with their families pointing at our bikes and giving us the thumbs up.
2000. Being on the oldest bike by 11 years at a Donington track day and only getting past by two bikes.
2004. Teaching myself how to powerslide a CBR600 at a Ron Haslam race school. Well, it wasn't my bike was it!
1989 350YPVS N, beating my mate riding his 500YPVS on a lap of the Longton GP.
Cant remember the year, Bulldog Bash when the burger van went up and the propane cylinders went off.
1996(?) Performance bikes frenzy when thousands of people turned up at Cadwell and burnt down the beer tent when they ran out of beer, Whitham had to come on stage and appeal for calm, with some guy sitting on the superstructure about 12 feet above his head, mayhem!

Ill add more as they surface from the murk of my memory.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 March 2017, 12:22:06 am »
1992 was the year the burger van caught alight at the Bulldog Bash.Scary old night that was.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 March 2017, 05:46:47 am »

A few that spring to mind.

2006 riding a £600 FJ1100 through the Atlas mountains one crisp, sunny, traffic free, April morning with no helmet, cool wind in the hair, beautiful scenery.
2000 Blasting past all the supercars riding into Monaco when the F1 was on.
1988 350YPVS N, riding 300 miles down to St Ives on my own to my mates, and getting into a race with a guy on a Harley over Bodmin Moor, after about 20 miles of madness we stopped for a dodgy roll up and a laugh.
1989 350YPVS N, arriving at St Ives and sitting outside the Ginsters shop next to The Sloop on the front with a pastie and a pint and watching my mate wheelie his 350LC down the front past a PC and WPC walking along holding hands, they never said a word.
2012. Parking up in Tossa De Mar and watching the Brit bikers walking past on holiday with their families pointing at our bikes and giving us the thumbs up.
2000. Being on the oldest bike by 11 years at a Donington track day and only getting past by two bikes.
2004. Teaching myself how to powerslide a CBR600 at a Ron Haslam race school. Well, it wasn't my bike was it!
1989 350YPVS N, beating my mate riding his 500YPVS on a lap of the Longton GP.
Cant remember the year, Bulldog Bash when the burger van went up and the propane cylinders went off.
1996(?) Performance bikes frenzy when thousands of people turned up at Cadwell and burnt down the beer tent when they ran out of beer, Whitham had to come on stage and appeal for calm, with some guy sitting on the superstructure about 12 feet above his head, mayhem!

Ill add more as they surface from the murk of my memory.

I was at cadwell for the frenzy, brilliant weekend.

Nearly died of exhaustion in the mosh pit. Trying to get out, I'd just reach the edge when my mate would push me straight back into the centre lol
« Last Edit: 16 March 2017, 05:48:41 am by joebloggs »

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 16 March 2017, 08:55:11 am »
Probably 2 laps of Monaco F1 circuit the day before practice when it was still open to traffic. (this was between breakfast in Nice and lunch in Pisa (followed by dinner in Florence). Happy days! The same week I did all of the south coast of France, then Italy including the lakes and alps, Switzerland, Austria and the German autobahn.
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16 March 2017, 09:19:49 am »
1992 was the year the burger van caught alight at the Bulldog Bash.Scary old night that was.

I bet it smelt great though :lol

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 March 2017, 10:25:31 am »
Not for the bloke who was on fire and died.

Billy Balthorpe

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 March 2017, 05:42:10 pm »

Jesus, i didnt think it was that long ago! Wasn't there fireworks setting peoples tents on fire too?

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 March 2017, 06:48:55 pm »
Seeing 100 MPH on the speedo of my KH250 then looking up to see I had gone across 2 lanes and was heading in to the barrier  :eek which I managed to miss  :rollin

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 16 March 2017, 07:38:52 pm »
Anyone else at Donnington Park for the Grand Prix when they were firing rockets at the police helicopter?

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 16 March 2017, 07:56:14 pm »
This is gonna sound pretty lame next to you all but here goes...

Six months after doing my CBT i went back to the school and did an "Introduction To Big Bikes" session, where I rode round a private car park for three hours.
Six months on an XV125 hadn't prepared me for the explosive power of a Kawasaki ER5!  :rollin
I was so used to gunning it on my XV when pulling away  (they're slow even for a 125) that when I did the same on the ER I damn near slid off the back. I remember bollocking towards this brick wall thinking "SHITSHITSHITI'MNOTGONNASTOP!!", but then slammed the brake on and planted my stomach on the fuel tank. Then dropped the bike when it came to a halt.

It made me realise that, like the instructor said, bikes are Ferrari performance for Fiesta money.  :lol
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 16 March 2017, 08:17:29 pm »

Jesus, i didnt think it was that long ago! Wasn't there fireworks setting peoples tents on fire too?
The flames from the van, jumped the gap to the trade stall area. A lot of the stalls had linked their roofs together with plastic sheeting to form a "covered market". I remember the stallholders ripping down the plastic in an attempt to isolate themselves from the fire. There was a big boxvan parked alongside the chip van that was on fire and had loads of gas cylinders in it. The fortunate (hardly the right word really)thing about that night was the wind direction didn't fan the flames in the direction of the campsite, which you no doubt remember was crammed with tents and bikes. Doesn't bear thinking about.
Did you ever go to the other popular HA run weekend called Kent Custom at Dymchurch.

Billy Balthorpe

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 16 March 2017, 08:24:08 pm »
Anyone else at Donnington Park for the Grand Prix when they were firing rockets at the police helicopter?

I'm sure I was there for that, wasn't it back in the days when you didn't have to have tickets to the GP to use the campsite? We used to go every year, party all night then go home in the morning to watch the racing on the telly. Until one year we turned up, No Tickets, No Camping, 3 out of 4 cars were being turned away.

Billy Balthorpe

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 16 March 2017, 08:28:32 pm »

[/quote]The flames from the van, jumped the gap to the trade stall area. A lot of the stalls had linked their roofs together with plastic sheeting to form a "covered market". I remember the stallholders ripping down the plastic in an attempt to isolate themselves from the fire. There was a big boxvan parked alongside the chip van that was on fire and had loads of gas cylinders in it. The fortunate (hardly the right word really)thing about that night was the wind direction didn't fan the flames in the direction of the campsite, which you no doubt remember was crammed with tents and bikes. Doesn't bear thinking about.
Did you ever go to the other popular HA run weekend called Kent Custom at Dymchurch.
[/quote]

One year there was definitely fireworks on the campsite setting tents on fire.

I never went to the Kent Custom show, I did do the South West Custom Show in about 92 or 93 two up with camping gear on a GSXR750J.