Date: 19-04-24  Time: 01:25 am

Author Topic: Mike the Bike  (Read 2145 times)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Mike the Bike
« on: 10 March 2017, 06:37:54 pm »

Click the link below to read about Mike Hailwood, surly one of the best racers in history.

I watched him race up at Oulton Park years ago after his come back when he came out of retirement, Mike was up against Giacomo Agostina, Ago was on his MV Agusta, Mike was on an AJS, Ago had almost twice to power, but each time coming into the tight bends Mike was up on his tail but never had the power to get by. Mike was out braking him and out cornering him but just did not have the grunt. Agostini won the race but Mike pushed him hard. Ten years out of the saddle and came back in 1978 over weight and certainly not at his peak fitness and won the TT on the Island for the 12th time the man was and still is a Legend.

Bikes have come such a long way since then, the guys who ride the TT's now at the speeds they reach are all Heroes in my sight, Speeds back in the 60's & 70's & 80's are nothing like they are now, but the technology then was nothing like it is now and with all the safety features that bikes have now enables higher speeds more stability and reliability. But all the TT riders have massive Balls and I salute you all. :thumbup :woot
I have just notice I call Mike Hailwood 'MIKE' and Giacomo Agostini 'Ago' or 'Agostini' I think it shows were my allegiance lies.     

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/motor-racing/mike-the-bike-rides-again-the-tragic-story-of-mike-hailwood-told-in-new-documentary-9215572.html

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Re: Mike the Bike
« Reply #1 on: 14 March 2017, 09:27:45 pm »
This got me reading up more about him.

Undoubtedly one of the best. An incredible winning tally in GP's and TT's.

Just love the sound of those old bikes :)

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 March 2017, 12:21:36 am »

I saw him ride at the UGP a couple of times and yes he was a cracking rider with shed loads of talent. Just will toss this in though he did come from a wealthy family and as a privateer he always had a top bike, just saying.
Ago was no slouch on a bike either by the way. I remember him at the 1965? UGP on the 500 M/V the flag dropped and everyone was gone. The M/V stalled and the pit crew were on it in a flash. Knackered clutch. He lost nearly three laps on the leaders but still put on a show for the fans .
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 March 2017, 08:55:27 am »

He did have a good start to his racing career with his dad's money but all the money in the world can't buy natural born talent.

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 March 2017, 10:24:45 pm »
Very true he was some one special on a bike. Can you just imagine if you could get him and Joey Dunlop on the IOM today bet that would be some race.
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 March 2017, 10:52:56 pm »

Bet there are some awesome races going on up there. Not that I'm in any rush to watch them.

* Crash.Net racing newsfeeds

MotoGP

World Superbikes

British Superbikes

RSS to JavaScript