Date: 28-03-24  Time: 10:35 am

Author Topic: Tail tidy  (Read 2731 times)

SutherlandFZS600

• CBT Wobbler
  • Hi folks! Names Steven, new on here so go easy ha!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Tail tidy
« on: 10 March 2017, 01:27:46 pm »
Hi all!
Looking at fitting a tail tidy to the bike soon and just wondering who's got what and where from etc.. any help or info would be much appreciated cheers!!
« Last Edit: 10 March 2017, 01:28:21 pm by SutherlandFZS600 »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Tail tidy
« Reply #1 on: 10 March 2017, 01:41:22 pm »
Hi all!
Looking at fitting a tail tidy to the bike soon and just wondering who's got what and where from etc.. any help or info would be much appreciated cheers!!
I think I can say for everyone here that, no one has one for the FZS 600. Are you meaning and undertray ?, the best thing I think you can do - so long as you have a hugger is to move the numberplate up over the reflector right under the lights and cut off the mud guard flush, and then fit a reflector onto the numberplate, like in my picture - only this was before I fitted the reflector, I have also removed the grabrails and covered the holes. If you wanted to you could trim down the sides of the guard too but as you see in the picture I have left mine on the sides, but there is an ovious section begging to be cut off that you can see. Also if you were so inclined you could fit some tiny clear lens indicators but I am not a fan of small indicators.     
« Last Edit: 10 March 2017, 01:44:28 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

ben17484

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 March 2017, 02:26:58 pm »
Hi all!
I think I can say for everyone here that, no one has one for the FZS 600. Are you meaning and undertray ?, the best thing I think you can do - so long as you have a hugger is to move the numberplate up over the reflector right under the lights and cut off the mud guard flush, and then fit a reflector onto the numberplate, like in my picture - only this was before I fitted the reflector, I have also removed the grabrails and covered the holes. If you wanted to you could trim down the sides of the guard too but as you see in the picture I have left mine on the sides, but there is an ovious section begging to be cut off that you can see. Also if you were so inclined you could fit some tiny clear lens indicators but I am not a fan of small indicators.     

That looks nice.

SutherlandFZS600

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 March 2017, 03:23:35 pm »
Fazersharp your rear end looks lovely if you don't mind me saying so! :lol
Like what you have done with yours and has given me some ideas for mine!
Also doesn't cost a thing! Cheers for sharing the pic and what you have done fazersharp!
Really like the look of it! Top job fella!

SutherlandFZS600

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 March 2017, 03:26:44 pm »
Could even do away with reflector until MOT maybe? Just stick one on for test and take off again??

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 March 2017, 04:51:33 pm »
Could even do away with reflector until MOT maybe? Just stick one on for test and take off again??
Or I think you can even get away with a 10pence sized stick on one that fits on your plate. And yes free to do, or not quite because you will need  a new plate because of the hole position, I used the same holes in the guard but got a new plate and drilled new holes in that.

Although the picture doesnt show but where the holes were for the grabrail I have covered with an oblong shape piece of black sticky back plastic with rounded ends but you can only see it if you are close, on a red bike you may have difficulty finding the exact colour - black is easy   
« Last Edit: 10 March 2017, 04:52:33 pm by fazersharp »

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 October 2017, 11:25:39 am »

I have an (aftermarket) colour matched Undertray plus CNC Tail Tidy fitted on my FZS600.
Flush looks MUCH cleaner. :eek Plus Jacked up, the SportIER rear end of the bike is greatly accentuated. :)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 October 2017, 01:03:50 pm »

I have an (aftermarket) colour matched Undertray plus CNC Tail Tidy fitted on my FZS600.
Flush looks MUCH cleaner. :eek Plus Jacked up, the SportIER rear end of the bike is greatly accentuated. :)

:useless

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: 12 October 2017, 03:19:48 pm »
It may look good but removing the lower part of the existing tail will require a reflector to be put somewhere else.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #9 on: 12 October 2017, 03:34:28 pm »
i removed my reflector trimmed the excess off the numberplate (instead of buying a smaller plate)
and lifted the whole thing up as far as i could - mot time i will just get one of those stick on reflectors
might buy a new numberplate and stick it too that then put it on once a year at mot time

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 October 2017, 03:40:59 pm »
You buy ONE of those little round adhesive red reflectors (about the size of a 2p). Cost a pound or two off ebay, then stick it ON the numberplate.
If you were that bothered about cosmetics, you can always remove it for the other 364 days of the year.  ;)

It has to be exactly central too! A couple of years ago my bike (different bike) failed the MOT as, although I DID have a little stick-on reflector on the rear numberplate, it was positioned in the bottom corner, technically a fail.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: 12 October 2017, 03:43:09 pm »
You buy ONE of those little round adhesive red reflectors (about the size of a 2p). Cost a pound or two off ebay, then stick it ON the numberplate.
If you were that bothered about cosmetics, you can always remove it for the other 364 days of the year.  ;)

It has to be exactly central too! A couple of years ago my bike (different bike) failed the MOT as, although I DID have a little stick-on reflector on the rear numberplate, it was positioned in the bottom corner, technically a fail.

If you buy TWO, put one in each corner and it is then legal.

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 October 2017, 03:56:42 pm »
Not true. The official MOT Test states...

"Statutory reflectors

Mopeds and motor bicycles require one unobscured red reflector which is aligned to the vehicles longitudinal centre line and is positioned to reflect squarely to the rear. If the motorcycle is fitted with a side car the side car will also require a reflector fitted towards the nearside and positioned to reflect squarely to the rear.

Extra reflectors fitted to a motorcycle are not included in this inspection.
  "

One in each corner would still not meet the above requirement.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: 12 October 2017, 04:52:02 pm »
and positioned to reflect squarely to the rear.

OK, so following the rules, fitted to the number plate will fail too due to it not being absolutely vertical. :pokefun

I have had bikes pass with a single one on one side of the plate before. Just depends on your testers anal retentiveness.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 October 2017, 05:03:14 pm »
I have mine on a small bracket bolted in the centre of the mud guard about 1 inch up from the bottom edge which is cut flush with the lifted numberplate. On the bolt secured with a wing nut the bracket and reflector can swivel up behind the guard and when in the down potion is at the correct angle as the bracket is bent like that.
Because I am a good boy  :angel the  bracket and reflector stay in the down position but if you want to break the law you could leave it swiveled up out of sight all year round and pop it down for the mot
Carnt be arsed to go out and take a picture so here it is partly photoshopped you can see the bracket and butterfly nut. And the dodgy picture also shows it folded up

The reflector is like this https://www.mandp.co.uk/reflector-30x84mm-rectangular-bolt-on.html
So all you need is a strip of metal and a wing nut
« Last Edit: 12 October 2017, 05:21:02 pm by fazersharp »

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #15 on: 12 October 2017, 06:16:49 pm »
i think there are some anal retentive mot guys out there
on the chop i have a offside side mounted number plate and i had the reflector (the 2p sized ones shown above) on the offside of that
it couldnt be any further away from center and it still passed
-this was at a mainly car garage and i was giving one of his employees a hand getting his bikes rear wheel out so i may have got some leeway on that.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 October 2017, 08:12:51 am »

If you buy TWO, put one in each corner and it is then legal.

this is the exact route I've went down, never had a problem.
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.