Date: 26-04-24  Time: 15:39 pm

Author Topic: time to give it up?  (Read 5921 times)

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
Re: time to give it up?
« Reply #25 on: 10 March 2017, 09:11:57 am »
Granted our bodies& faculties wear out/decline at different rates-sometimes we are just "lucky" in our genetic inheritance but most experts(hate that word!) agree that we have to maintain that feel good factor & have a reason to get up in the morning. A generation or two back most men were totally worn out by 60-indeed a lot never got to benefit from their pension. The idea that you get your mantelpiece clock as your retirement present & put your carpet slippers on no longer applies
since all us post-war types had the benefit of the NHS etc-if we are sensible we can live happily for longer.
When my mum died last year age 86 my sister asked me when i was going to stop riding bikes. I said that I would know when the time was right. Since that conversation I have invested in a further 2 bikes-the Tracer & a Honda C90 Cub. This week I have ridden both the Fazer & Tracer & the feel good factor has been amazing. Bikes have been part of my life since I was 14 & I will be 70 next year.
No my physical health is not too wonderful (cant run or walk uphill too long due to COPD) but the mental component of well being is just as important as eating,resting, gentle exercise etc. In any case I am sure my sons will tell me if I become a danger to myself/others but meantime remember age is just a number :lol

Kenbob

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 10 March 2017, 11:11:24 am »
I've given up giving up because when I give up I realise that I miss what I have given up so I un-give up. So the answer is don't give up.
Or give up giving up.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 10 March 2017, 11:30:22 am »
his short term memory is now shot and he has to have someone with him when he is driving, otherwise he forgets where he is going or what he went out for.
Its funny but sometimes that's the exact reason I do go out, - I don't know where I am going and I also have no reason to go there, im just riding.

No my physical health is not too wonderful (cant run or walk uphill too long due to COPD) but the mental component of well being is just as important as eating,resting, gentle exercise etc. I
Actually riding is a form of exercise, mental and physical, I use all my strength just to hang on.   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

JoeyMcEssex

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Guzzi Breva 1100
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 10 March 2017, 12:37:17 pm »
60 last August and just decided to get back on after a time out:

You will know when its time!!
 but in your case thats a long way off.

Can you really see yourself sitting indoors or in a car when the spring/summer sun arrives? Guess I mean about now  :lol

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 10 March 2017, 02:41:17 pm »
I am passing another significant birthday this year, but am wondering at what age would you consider giving up biking - or when does it become too difficult?

In this week's MCN, there a dealer that mentions an older customer who returned a Ninja H2R. So by that guideline, once you hit 70 stick to less than 300bhp.  ;)
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

samsfazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 11 March 2017, 10:55:09 am »
cheers all.

Dave 48 I salute you and hope that I have your vigour and energy when I get to where you are now!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 11 March 2017, 11:12:20 am »
cheers all.
Come on then tell us when you are getting your Fazer.
As you are getting back into it you had best start with a slow one and work up to the fastest one, below for you is the order of speed starting with the slowest Fazer.

BLUE
RED

SILVER
RED/SILVER/BLACK SCHEME
AND BLACK THE FASTEST - best to get this one last - once you have got used to the other slower ones
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Kenbob

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 11 March 2017, 11:28:58 am »
Ah the old tortoise and the hare.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 11 March 2017, 06:09:15 pm »
Thing is, whilst a lot of the time I'm all aches and pains (I've smashed myself up pretty badly over the years), there are only two scenarios when I don't feel it all, both when I am completely focussed on what I am doing. Playing guitar is one, when the mood is right, and riding bikes is the other. I might suffer some extra aches when I stop either one, but while actually engaged in those activities, I don't have, or I'm not aware of, those aches at all. It's a bugger when I try to explain to others why I can't do this or that, but I'm fine riding all day on the Fazer  :\

Not ready to give up either yet though, although I suppose the day will come.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 11 March 2017, 07:46:05 pm »
61 next July  and no intention of stopping, I might as well be dead if I couldn't take the bike out :)

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 11 March 2017, 09:01:01 pm »
 I went to my best friend's funeral on Tuesday, he was only 68 and for the last 10 years or so he had a Ducati obsession but I never held it against him. He always used to say you don't give up motorcycling because you get old , you get old because you get old because you give up motorcycling.

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 11 March 2017, 09:06:59 pm »
My Dad was diagnosed with cancer just before his 72nd birthday - went straight out and bought himself a GSX 600 and joined my brother, myself and our mates onmany a Sunday ride, leaving some of our younger friends on race-reps in his dust.

He rode until he couldn't hold the bike up at a standstill (half a dozen standstill tip-overs was his limit) in 2006 and passed away in 2008 at 79 yrs old.

I also have a good friend who is 79, who still rides his mountain bike every week, does plenty of +50 mile a day rides and shows a clean pair of heels to lots of our riding friends in their 40's & 50's. He doesn't have a motorbike, but is more than capable of manhandling one even at his age.

Me, I'm 57 and expect to be riding for at least another 25 years - or, like my old man, until I can't physically cope with on (maybe a Can Am Spyder could give me a couple of more years of fun once I couldn't ride a proper bike.
« Last Edit: 11 March 2017, 09:11:09 pm by Millietant »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 11 March 2017, 10:56:43 pm »
I will be 50. I wanted to get a thou as a sort of b'day present, but that's on hold now, given the insurance premiums etc till at least June.

I was curious about the age as I wondered when do you give up?

50! 50!50! FFS man your just a Foccing Nipper, or a babe in arms.
I hit the magic 70 years young on the 10th of this month and just got the FZS 600 insurance renewed and the bike re-MOTed
I just upgraded Front and Rear suspension so I can slowly work at reducing them 3/4" chicken strips, have halved them in the last 4 or 5 ride outs.
I plan on riding until I can no longer throw my leg over the seat and I hoping to still be riding at 80 years young.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 12 March 2017, 01:48:56 am »
I will be 50. I wanted to get a thou as a sort of b'day present, but that's on hold now, given the insurance premiums etc till at least June.

I was curious about the age as I wondered when do you give up?

50! 50!50! FFS man your just a Foccing Nipper, or a babe in arms.
I hit the magic 70 years young on the 10th of this month and just got the FZS 600 insurance renewed and the bike re-MOTed
I just upgraded Front and Rear suspension so I can slowly work at reducing them 3/4" chicken strips, have halved them in the last 4 or 5 ride outs.
I plan on riding until I can no longer throw my leg over the seat and I hoping to still be riding at 80 years young.

You tell 'em Tomski  :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

ptolemyx

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Busa
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 12 March 2017, 06:22:46 am »
61 here and I'll never stop riding. It's what keeps me sane(ish). Just had a series of op's on wrists and knees and hips now hurting every time I get off the bike, but the pain and discomfort is still very much worth it. Determined not to go down in size; still riding Busa and Fazer 1000 on road and drag racing a brutal B-King :)
when in doubt go flat out

scoobiemandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 12 March 2017, 08:03:43 am »
Still,if in doubt,hold back :)

Amen to that brother  :thumbup

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 12 March 2017, 11:00:34 am »
I'm going to stop when I get to 110 :D
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 12 March 2017, 02:02:39 pm »

Well, I once saw 180 on the clock of my FZR1000, so I guess it'll have to be when I get to 190  :lol

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 12 March 2017, 02:30:36 pm »

Well, I once saw 180 on the clock of my FZR1000, so I guess it'll have to be when I get to 190  :lol

:lol :rollin :rollin :lol

Townhill

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • - KTM
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 13 March 2017, 07:46:52 am »

I am passing another significant birthday this year, but am wondering at what age would you consider giving up biking - or when does it become too difficult?

I am the big 60 (December just gone) last March I bought a KTM 1290 superduke and have also just recently bought the Fazer 600 and have just stuck 500 mile on the fazer in the last week and half.

Give up riding never there is no re-run in life once today has gone you ain't getting it back to have another go. I have a lot of riding to do I do not want any regrets when I peg out regarding riding my bikes.
Your only here once! GET A LIFE GET A BIKE in it.

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 13 March 2017, 08:59:52 am »
I tried to give up after breaking my hip, the thought of an off with three screws in my right hip worried me. I went through several so called sporty cars eventually ending up with the Eunos which although fun really doesn't scratch my itch.

So back to bikes.

Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 13 March 2017, 09:26:14 am »
I tried to give up after breaking my hip, the thought of an off with three screws in my right hip worried me. I went through several so called sporty cars eventually ending up with the Eunos which although fun really doesn't scratch my itch.

So back to bikes.

The Mazda Enos should help with the itch but as you remark will not get rid of it. I had a similar itch and got myself an mid engined MR2, it gives me a lot of pleasure as it is rear wheel drive limited slip diff and mid lumped so it makes for great donuts and handles a dream through the twisties, lots of fresh air with the soft top down. BUT it's not a bike and does not deliver the same as a bike does, the top speed is not a lot different, Fazer is a bit faster but the way it gets there is completely different, in fact I feel doubly blessed having the choice.  :sun
And as the sun is shining daughter and I are off for a cuppa at Loomies in Hants later this morn or early pm today :sun :sun :sun  on the  :faz  that is
« Last Edit: 13 March 2017, 09:29:44 am by tommyardin »

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 13 March 2017, 10:47:43 pm »
Errrrrr

A Eunos is as cool as penguin piss....an MR2 is as gay as a tap dancing Hyena. #just saying  :lol
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Kenbob

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 14 March 2017, 08:26:38 am »
Errrrrr

A Eunos is as cool as penguin piss....an MR2 is as gay as a tap dancing Hyena. #just saying  :lol

:rollin :rollin :rollin  Priceless.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 14 March 2017, 10:25:36 am »

So back to bikes.

I was told after my shoulder was rebuilt that another heavy fall on it could mean losing my arm. I have since fallen heavily on it twice, and not injured it further. I can only praise the work of the surgeon! It never for one minute put me off riding though, once I found I still could actually ride. Now, I am more concerned about aggravating my back injury, but oh well...maybe I'm just stupid...well, not maybe  :lol