Date: 28-03-24  Time: 14:10 pm

Author Topic: Another TPS question  (Read 1371 times)

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Another TPS question
« on: 07 March 2017, 04:09:45 pm »
finally the sun is out and a little checking/ maintainance took place but on checking the TPS it was showing 10k....then 8 then 9 then 7 then 9 etc then the engine fan cut in ( engine NOT running ) it was all over the place , so I adjusted to 5k then started up , seemed better so checked that was still ok but now it's showing 4800rpm so I adjusted again to exactly 5k but once I'd tightened it all up the needle was fluttering 5-6 k ??? Then I loosened and tightened and it stayed at 5 It starts bettter the engine is quieter ( clutch not as rattly) but my worry is does the fluttering needle indicate the TPS is faulty or on its way or is this normal and why would the engine fan cut in when the engine not running.

topgun44

• Weekend Warrior
  • ride hard a fast
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Another TPS question
« Reply #1 on: 07 March 2017, 09:47:17 pm »
funny old world my did same thing fan kick in it shit me up !

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 March 2017, 09:01:46 pm »
The fluttering as you call it appears to be normal and only seems to happen on the 1000 type Kehin TPS, I have never seen it happen on the Mikuni type TPS

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 March 2017, 01:53:46 pm »
Thanks unfazed , i think thats why I was thinking there must be something wrong with the TPS as I've adjusted my 600 many times and the needle never flutters so I'd never seen that before.
I'm hoping to get out on it today and really hoping that it was the cause of the rough running I've been having lately  :)

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 March 2017, 09:40:05 pm »
My TPS wore out, Graham.

The symptoms were that I'd be riding along at usual motorway pace and there'd be this hesitation almost like it was running out of petrol, but not quite. It drove me nuts for a couple of weeks as I tried to work out what was wrong. It didn't show up on acceleration or cruising at 50mph, just 80mph which is my usual cruising pace.

Eventually, I bought a multimeter and you could see the voltage drop as the throttle went over what was presumably the worn out part of the trace that corresponded to around 5500rpm or 80 in top. It was quite easy to do the check, so grab your multimeter and crack open the service manual.

Having said all that, my bike is very high mileage. I think it went around 120k miles.

Top tip, the Yamaha T-Max TPS sensor is the same as the Fazer 1000. And it's a lot cheaper to get a second hand set of T-Max carbs than Fazer carbs.