Date: 20-04-24  Time: 00:54 am

Author Topic: 2006 FZ1 rear brake issue  (Read 1337 times)

DalesFZ1

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
2006 FZ1 rear brake issue
« on: 05 March 2017, 01:24:53 pm »
Hi All,[/size]I have just changed my rear brake pads on my FZ1 and bled the system afterwards. The issue I now have is there is no feel at all in the pedal. When bleeding there was no bubbles in the line at all but after spending a hour on it, it is no better. I have noticed when operating the pedal the caliper moves/rocks from the piston side, is this normal ? as I've only just noticed it after trying to troubleshoot my issue. Both caliper mounting bolts are in and torqued up correctly and I have fitted the shims off the old pads but also tried the pads without them either way doesn't make a difference. Any advice would be a great help.[/color]

FZ1obp

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Husaberg TE300
    • View Profile
Re: 2006 FZ1 rear brake issue
« Reply #1 on: 05 March 2017, 01:36:53 pm »
Check the disc isn't bent- if so the pistons will be in one position on the caliper and then have to move to another to take up the distortion

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 March 2017, 02:21:22 pm »
Sometimes they can be a pain in the arse to bleed, does the pedal get any firmer if you pump it quickly with your hand?
If all else fails try fastening the brake pedal down overnight, this can sometimes force air in system out.

DalesFZ1

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 March 2017, 02:34:50 pm »
Thanks both of you for your quick replies. Ill give them both a go as soon as I can.

FZ1obp

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Husaberg TE300
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 March 2017, 04:44:55 pm »
Agree with Slappy they are a 'mare to bleed:
Also
Try using a syringe and tube to reverse bleed - ie attach the tube to the nipple (no air in syringe?), open and bleed back
OR
Detach the slave cylinder/caliper and hold it above the master cylinder and bleed as normal - sometime air gets trapped on the high point of the circuit above the slave

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 March 2017, 05:25:16 pm »

Detach the slave cylinder/caliper and hold it above the master cylinder and bleed as normal - sometime air gets trapped on the high point of the circuit above the slave.
That's how I bled mine successfully, but don't end up putting a scratch in your hugger, if you've got one, like I did. :'(
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

DalesFZ1

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 March 2017, 05:02:33 pm »
Update.

I opted to go for the reverse bleed method using the syringe from the caliper back to the reservoir. A few air bubbles came through nothing massive. Then bled it back in the conventional way, pumping the pedal 5-10 times, cracking the bleed nipple and so on. Got a few extra bubbles that way then once it ran clear nipped everything back up and still no joy.

Then I removed the caliper mounting bolts and gave it a pump and it was solid feedback....... I replaced the rear mounting bolt (12mm) still good. Then I go to re fit the front caliper mounting bolt (14mm) and it all goes soft again. From this I can gather that the system is air free but not sure what would cause this. The front mounting bolt doesn't spin in by hand like the rear one but requires next to no effort with a ratchet so I do not think it has cross threaded.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 March 2017, 06:55:35 pm »
Bleed it with the pads pushed back full.  :thumbup