Date: 29-03-24  Time: 04:52 am

Author Topic: Handlebar grip length  (Read 1852 times)

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Handlebar grip length
« on: 02 March 2017, 05:55:36 pm »
Apologies if this topic has already been covered but I'm buying s pair of oxford heated grips for my yet to be picked up 2003 600. I don't know which type to get. The touring type are 120mm long and the sorts type are 124mm long. I know I can trim them down if I need to but I would rather not. I would be very grateful if some kind soul could tell me what the standard grip length is. I'm not due to pick mine up 'til the 10th and it's 70 miles away so it's more convenient to ask on here than nip up there with a tape measure and I would like to have them here ready to fit when I get eventually get it. Thanks.
« Last Edit: 02 March 2017, 06:35:47 pm by vinnyb »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Handlebar grip length
« Reply #1 on: 02 March 2017, 06:44:47 pm »
From having a look around, i keep seeing 119/120mm.

To be honest i've never in many years of riding ever even thought about the length of grips, i've always found them to be of a standard size.

As an alternative, these are the grips i have at the moment, which are by far the hottest i have ever used and have been brilliant in extremely cold weather.
They are supposedly rebranded Oxford grips at a fraction of the price, plus they're guaranteed to fit.

I highly recommend them, just make sure you wire them into the ignition so they get switched off with the key, rather than wiring direct to the battery.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DR-BIKE-HEATED-GRIPS-MOTORCYCLE-MOTORBIKE-KEEP-WARM-UNIVERSAL-22MM-FIT-/141881650983?hash=item2108ce2f27:m:miyfM2IjN6ISfB-iIQ9whcw
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 March 2017, 07:36:12 pm »
  Thanks for that Darssi, Me neither. I've been riding for 35 years and had God knows how many bikes and can't remember ever taking a tape measure to my handlebar grips. Thanks for the link to the Dr Bike grips, I'll have a look at them, are there many using them on this forum? I've got a pair of oxford Touring grips amongst other things, reserved at sportsbike shop, I'm going over to have a look tomorrow. They're £46 so a bit pricier than the others though. They've just moved to a bigger shop and it's apparently really impressive, I can feel a spending spree coming on. Thanks again mate.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 March 2017, 07:41:53 pm »
  Thanks for that Darssi, Me neither. I've been riding for 35 years and had God knows how many bikes and can't remember ever taking a tape measure to my handlebar grips. Thanks for the link to the Dr Bike grips, I'll have a look at them, are there many using them on this forum? I've got a pair of oxford Touring grips amongst other things, reserved at sportsbike shop, I'm going over to have a look tomorrow. They're £46 so a bit pricier than the others though. They've just moved to a bigger shop and it's apparently really impressive, I can feel a spending spree coming on. Thanks again mate.

I've had many pairs of heated grips over the years but these get silly hot, you can only use the highest setting in below zero weather or you will literally burn your hands through your gloves, in comparison to other grips that would only be luke warm.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 March 2017, 11:36:22 pm »
Have the Oxford Touring heated grips fitted to mine - no problems.

Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 March 2017, 05:30:00 am »
 I have to admit, I'm no label snob but I am being tempted by the oxfords, as much for ease of fitting and not having to splice into the wiring harness, as any other reason. I don't need them to get super hot, cos I ride in the super cold. I'll have a look at them today and let you know what I decide. Thanks for all the input.

JoeyMcEssex

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Guzzi Breva 1100
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 March 2017, 12:35:57 pm »
Just bought a set of DR Bike grips, not fitted em yet but reviews were good. Lots of disgruntled peeps moaning about Oxford quality now so left them alone!!

Will report back when fitted.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 March 2017, 02:33:14 pm »
Just bought a set of DR Bike grips, not fitted em yet but reviews were good. Lots of disgruntled peeps moaning about Oxford quality now so left them alone!!

Will report back when fitted.

They're made by Oxford, just rebranded.  :lol

But they are good anyway. When you've fitted them maybe you can back me up on how damn hot they get.  :thumbup

MMCMME

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 March 2017, 02:49:18 pm »
They look identical to the R&G heated grips which I use.

Cheap, nice and hot, no problems yet. Can also buy spares direct from their website too should there be any issues.

I wired mine to rear light via relay just to be safe.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 March 2017, 03:54:47 pm »
They look identical to the R&G heated grips which I use.

Cheap, nice and hot, no problems yet. Can also buy spares direct from their website too should there be any issues.

I wired mine to rear light via relay just to be safe.

Yeah, you're right, they do look the same.
I've read in a few places they were the same as Oxford?

JoeyMcEssex

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Guzzi Breva 1100
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 March 2017, 04:31:27 pm »
Just realised my sons bought a pair of the "best" grips i.e. R&G so looked at them and they are identical his were £40 mine £25!!
The youth of today easily kidded eh?

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 March 2017, 08:10:56 pm »
 Hi all, I bought the oxford touring grips in the end, as I said earlier, I like the idea of wiring them directly to the battery rather than splicing into a switched live. I'm hoping they'll be warm enough for me, I don't ride in the depths of winter anymore, been there, done that, don't like it. Also bought a pair of  'Forcefield limb tubes' knee armour to wear under my Hood Kevlar jeans, I was using Knox flexlite before but they kept slipping down my bamboo cane legs when I was walking. Just waiting for the bike now. Anyone fitted stainless engine bolts by the way? There's a 48 piece kit from Stig fasteners on Ebay for £13.80 I'm thinking of buying, it even has a diagram to show where to stick 'em in. What do you think?

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 March 2017, 08:39:07 pm »
I have  oxford sports on mine no problems
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 March 2017, 10:44:41 pm »

That's good to hear Midden, my oem bmw grips got moderately warm at best. I'm hoping for better from these on my Fazer (when I get it)
  Soddit I'm going to go for the stainless engine bolts at 14 quid what's the worst that can happen? PLEASE don't answer that :'(

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 March 2017, 11:02:34 pm »

That's good to hear Midden, my oem bmw grips got moderately warm at best. I'm hoping for better from these on my Fazer (when I get it)
  Soddit I'm going to go for the stainless engine bolts at 14 quid what's the worst that can happen? PLEASE don't answer that :'(

I'm sorry sir but that 3 letter word is banned on this forum  :lol
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 03 March 2017, 11:14:00 pm »
 Terribly sorry I'm new here  :rolleyes  From now on if I ever refer to it I'll be sure to call it my German motorcycle, is that ok? :thumbup