Date: 18-04-24  Time: 15:06 pm

Author Topic: Double bubble or taller touring screen  (Read 1858 times)

Carlsv8

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Double bubble or taller touring screen
« on: 01 March 2017, 09:02:07 pm »
Which should I buy ? 5ft 10 ins tall (me not the screen), more of a cruising around than knee down God type of rider . All info. and opinions welcome.
Cheers Fellas.
It's easier to get more money than it is a day of your life back.

ProdigalSon

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Double bubble or taller touring screen
« Reply #1 on: 01 March 2017, 10:45:08 pm »
I'd like a bit more wind protection on my Fazer so I'm trying to find a taller screen as well, mine currently has an MRA screen fitted to it, I think possibly a double bubble so I'm going to try and find out what difference there is with their Touring one. I did think about one of their Vario Touring screens but I've read several comments on forums about the nose the additional blade generates. Post on here if you find anything suitable and I shall do likewise if I find something I think will be an improvement on what I have. :)

Carlsv8

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 March 2017, 10:04:38 am »
Just noticed a post a bit further down the page, might get a few decent replies on there hopefully.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 March 2017, 11:01:10 am »
I was after similar info when I first got my Fazer and found the posts by T-mation most helpful. He's tried and rejected quite a few screens and to my knowledge settled on the Puig double bubble with the clamp on MRA vario. The Fabbri is popular but I couldn't find a supplier in Europe. In the end after trying the Zero Gravity I went for the Puig(34 cms high) but had to import from Spain. It's always going to be a compromise as factors such as your height, helmet style, riding style, physical ability to withstand any buffeting if the wind gets up. One thing to bear in mind with the Zero Gravity is its suitability depends on what style and position of handlebars you intend using. I have 758's on a low mount and it was fine , but if you prefer these bars rotated away from you (more elbows up), then there will be clearance issues.Happy screen hunting :) .
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 March 2017, 11:01:56 am »
I've got a vario, love it. How's the bike feller, all good I hope?  :)

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 March 2017, 11:05:24 am »
 :)

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 March 2017, 11:32:48 am »
I've got an Ermax double bubble and I'm 5'10 it certainly reduced buffeting over the standard especially when sat at normal riding position on motorways although I still think there are higher bubbles than the ermax as to which ones I'm unsure as stupidly no manufacturer publishes the dimensions of the screens.
On a separate note for Ogri if he reads this what are the headlight bulbs you've got on yours ??? They look bright

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 March 2017, 11:57:11 am »
Damned if I've ever known what screen has been on any of my Fazers. I've had all sorts, and none of them seemed to make much difference. What made a huge difference was the helmet I wore. Since buying my first HJC RPHA10, never had a problem from wind blast. I can now wind it up to an indicated 160, sitting bolt-upright, and not get battered to foc  :)

Carlsv8

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 March 2017, 07:02:22 pm »
I've got a vario, love it. How's the bike feller, all good I hope?  :)
Hello Ogri, you've got a grey one, my favourite colour scheme. Still waiting for it at the moment, Owen has a lot of work on so I won't be able to get it until the back end of next week, quite refreshing to deal with a shop that won't rush something through to get a bike out of the door. I'm in no rush because it's still cold up here so whatever suits Owen and the delivery company is good with me.  It's hard work not buying stuff for it 'cos I don't want to tempt fate, a few wanted adverts hitting the forum soon hopefully.

Carlsv8

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 March 2017, 07:10:01 pm »
:)
I had a vario on my Varadero and it was pretty good but had one on my new model Crosssrunner (expensive mistake that bike was) and it was a complete waste of money.

Johnnylad123

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 March 2017, 01:21:43 pm »
I had a tall touring screen (make unknown) one mine when I got it, I'm 6'2" and that buffeted my head quite bad at owt over 60mph so got a secondhand Powerbronze which is more like standard, just slightly higher and that cures the head buffet but can feel more pressure on my shoulders now. Not sure if it helps decision making for anyone else but thought I'd throw it out there anyway!
« Last Edit: 03 March 2017, 06:43:28 pm by Johnnylad123 »

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 March 2017, 01:48:08 pm »
Just a thought,  when the weather  gets better  why don't people  meet in there local  area and try each others screens and give them a try, that way we can each try different  screens and find which works best for them, may be even swop.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 March 2017, 05:24:07 pm »
I've got an Ermax double bubble and I'm 5'10 it certainly reduced buffeting over the standard especially when sat at normal riding position on motorways although I still think there are higher bubbles than the ermax as to which ones I'm unsure as stupidly no manufacturer publishes the dimensions of the screens.
On a separate note for Ogri if he reads this what are the headlight bulbs you've got on yours ??? They look bright
Gra they are the LED ones off amazon there's a post on it somewhere mate