Date: 23-04-24  Time: 17:03 pm

Author Topic: Bennets online quote Grrrrrr  (Read 2822 times)

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
Bennets online quote Grrrrrr
« on: 28 February 2017, 09:22:16 pm »
Typed my details into one of the online 'get an instant quote' sites and had quotes from about £100 to £150 which I was quite pleased with considering I have no ncd. Well the 1st (cheapest) doesn't accept grey imports (I had stated that it was an import so why quote me grrr) and the 2nd was Bennets, at just over the hundred mark I thought I'd take it, proceded to fill out all the online forms, inc bank details etc etc, then towards the end it asked for any modifications........ Road legal replacement exhaust system.......enter........£180. How the foc can they almost double the quote for an exhaust that will probably rob you of a few horses, what a waste of my bloody time.

Rant over 
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
Re: Bennets online quote Grrrrrr
« Reply #1 on: 28 February 2017, 09:40:51 pm »
Why on earth would you mention a replacement exhaust?   Car insurance isn't invalidated once it's been to Kwikfit
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 February 2017, 09:42:08 pm »
Why on earth would you mention a replacement exhaust?   Car insurance isn't invalidated once it's been to Kwikfit

I was just thinking that.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 February 2017, 10:02:35 pm »

Cos it's not an OE or pattern part?

Kenbob

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 February 2017, 10:39:54 pm »
What's the price of an oe Yamaha exhaust, a dam sight more than a pattern part I imagine.
Insurance is bollox.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #5 on: 28 February 2017, 11:54:08 pm »
only had my fazer 2 weeks - on phone to insurance saying all standard while cleaning the brackets for streetfighter headlights lol

my insurance think my gsx1100 chop is completly standard - in reality the engine casing and lower half of cradle came from the factory lol
tell them nothing - most of the time they dont look at it
but do not use an email connected to an open facebook cause they occasionly look which cost me 30 to have it refused lol

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 February 2017, 11:58:02 pm »
A standard Yamaha silencer for a FZS 600 is over £650 and the front down pipes and collector over £1,200.
so why is the insurance dearer with a £200 silencer and £250 front down pipes and collector. As some one else commented Bollox

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 March 2017, 09:56:19 pm »
What's the price of an oe Yamaha exhaust, a dam sight more than a pattern part I imagine.

Anyway don't think you can get a pattern silencer, if anybody made it nobody would buy it.
But aftermarket exhausts are associated with increased performance - that's the issue.

my insurance think my gsx1100 chop is completly standard - in reality the engine casing and lower half of cradle came from the factory lol
tell them nothing - most of the time they dont look at it

Problem is if you are involved in a serious accident they will have a look.  And in the case of your chop my guess is that they would walk away stating that your bike is not the bike they insured.  Which leaves you with potentially unlimited liabilities.

If it's a minor modifcation then there is the arguement as to whether the modification contrubuted to the incident/accident.

But one of the problems is that many of the insurance companies do not understand the market.  One company I called told me I had to list all nonstandard parts.  So I did, I mentioned my CE marked can, my hard luggage, heated grips and K-Tech shock.  They told me (after lots of questions) they'd have to take advice on the shock and get back to me.  I told them they were clueless idiots and not to bother getting back to me.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 March 2017, 11:13:40 pm »
Good comment above about car 'non oem parts'. Do people list replacement - wiper blades, exhaust systems, other brand tyres, air filters, batteries, roof racks etc etc? Of course not. So why the big deal about bike parts? I can understand anything that increases bhp like some exhausts, but why suspension, heated grips, luggage racks etc? Most of them are put on to increase safety.

It's just an excuse to up the premium. Always retain the original parts and swap back in the event of an accident.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: 02 March 2017, 11:15:24 am »
:agree

And increase the desirability of the bike to thieves
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 March 2017, 11:21:02 am »
I told bennetts all about my exhaust, panniers, engine bars, k&n filter etc. And my quote was low, around £100 fully comp. But then I'm a mature 36yr old with 7yrs NCB.

It's not so much the cost of the mods they consider.. but it tells them something about the type of person you are. If you're the type of person that makes their bike flash, sportier, louder and faster.. you're probably quite an enthusiastic rider and more likely to have an accident and/or get your bike stolen.

I prefer being honest, then I know when I do have an accident they have no excuse to avoid paying out. I'll probably need to cover my lost earnings at least! :D
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-