Date: 28-03-24  Time: 21:16 pm

Author Topic: Vfr800 pre vetch v Fazer 1000  (Read 3635 times)

samsfazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Vfr800 pre vetch v Fazer 1000
« on: 28 February 2017, 05:14:13 pm »
i am considering one of the above.  I realise the site is biased but has anyone owned both, if so, would you mind sharing pluses and minuses. Thanks

fatbloke62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Vfr800 pre vetch v Fazer 1000
« Reply #1 on: 28 February 2017, 05:48:25 pm »
I had the same dilemma that you have now ,I  had a vfr800 for 3 years in my opinion a great bike with good build quality but I did find it a bit heavy on the wrists in slow speed town riding which I didn't like and as i'd had two 600 fazers previously  it was the thou that I looked at next . In my opinion my now sorted gen 1 is a keeper as for me its so comfy I can ride it all day and the power is intoxicating but i'ts only my view you perhaps need to blag a couple of test ride's at your friendly stealer

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 February 2017, 06:46:15 pm »
Both brilliant bikes, though I too favour the fazer. Downside if it's a do all and you commute ( as I realised this afternoon checking my not long fitted tyres) is the big feller gets through rears pretty quick....

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 February 2017, 08:31:15 pm »

I had the VFR750 and if it wasn't for arthritis in my hands n wrist I'd have kept it.
Two similar bikes in that they are both real world do anything on.
Commuted on both, done a few 1000+ mile days on both, did a 5000 miles 5 day stint on the Fazer, VFR was easier to ride fast due to the wind protection.
If I really really had to choose I'd go Fazer, but it's a very very close one. 

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 February 2017, 08:41:41 pm »
I've had two VFRs and they are excellent machines, and a lot of character for a Honda. However, check out the servicing costs.... VFRs are more expensive if you're doing a lot of miles as the valves need checking more often. The single sided swingarm is a major twat if the adjuster seizes too.

Obviously, the Fazer is somewhat more powerful but the handling is not quite as good, the riding position is more upright but the VFR has a full fairing and the Fazer is better built even though it doesn't seem like it. It feels cheap compared to the VFR, but apart from the EXUP they go on for miles with oil and filter changes only. I just checked the valves on mine after 100,000 miles and they're all in spec. That's 100,000 miles without a single valve going out of spec. Discs go for that distance, as do the swingarm bushes if lubed. And the Fazer is a doddle to work on compared to a VFR.

If Honda had bumped the VFR up to 1000cc I'd have bought one in a blink of an eye, but it just got left behind as a weird middleweight whilst all us old fogeys got on with litre bikes. I test rode the Kawasaki 1000sx and Multistrada 1200 a couple of years ago... neither would make me get rid of the Fazer.

I dunno, it's a tough one, but as alway, ride both and one will stand out. I do love V4s though. I followed a red pre-VTEC 800 out of London this evening, loud pipe blaring away, and I was jealous...

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 February 2017, 08:46:23 pm »
Both brilliant bikes, though I too favour the fazer. Downside if it's a do all and you commute ( as I realised this afternoon checking my not long fitted tyres) is the big feller gets through rears pretty quick....

That's interesting... what kind of commuting, Ogri? I do 120 miles a day (70 motorway, 50 town and country) and get 8000ish out of the rear BT 023.
« Last Edit: 28 February 2017, 08:48:05 pm by AyJay »

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 February 2017, 09:42:31 pm »
I have the 1000 and have ridden the pre vtech VFR many times as it was owned by a friend .
It is a lovely bike, but I hated the linked brakes.
It was enjoyable to ride but the Fazer 1000 is easier to manhandle and when the handling sorted it is a better all rounder. I found the VFR a bit lazy handling wise.
Both bikes are reliable but the VFR with its gear driven cams a very noisy rustling engine.

Rear suspension on VFR is usually shot by 25000 miles and the 1000 shock is far to soft from new.

I would suggest you ride both on the same mixed route with a suspension sorted on both and make your decision then.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 March 2017, 06:08:23 am »

That's interesting... what kind of commuting, Ogri? I do 120 miles a day (70 motorway, 50 town and country) and get 8000ish out of the rear BT 023.
The only relevant fact would be how much quicker the tyres wear on the Fazer than on the VFR. You can't compare one person's mileage obtained from a tyre to another person's because there are so many variables, rider weight, luggage carried, pillion usage, road surfaces, riding style, suspension setup to name the factors that spring immediately to mind. As proof of this I get around 3000 miles from my rear tyres and yes that includes the BT023 which actually wore out quicker than the Avon Storms I much prefer.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 March 2017, 09:38:57 am »
Yes, PieEater, I take your point. I'm just kind of baffled how some can get so few miles out of the same tyre as me. I find it very interesting.

Most of my commuting is on the motorways where you're rolling on and off the throttle and not accelerating hard, but as an ex-despatch rider, I'm one of the fastest through traffic so it's not like I'm a dayglo Derek afraid of the throttle. I love nothing more than searching for the limit of grip coming out of corners but I rarely thrash in a straight line, so maybe I wear the shoulders of the tyre rather than the centre.

I also once got 9500 miles out of a set of Avon Storms on my ZZR1400, a big heavy bike with a big heavy bloke on it.

I also wear out the front at around the same time as the rear. Mind, I do take them down the last millimetre as well, so I guess all of these thing add up.

samsfazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 March 2017, 12:04:53 pm »
Thanks all.  I have owned a fazer6 and a couple of pre vtech 800.  What attracts to the vfr8 is that lovely burble and top end scream.  I am also not too keen to have too much of a sit up position due to back issues. The other option is the foxeye 600 which I also had.

Guess it depends what's available really and at what price.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 March 2017, 04:36:37 pm »

Yes, PieEater, I take your point. I'm just kind of baffled how some can get so few miles out of the same tyre as me. I find it very interesting.

Most of my commuting is on the motorways where you're rolling on and off the throttle and not accelerating hard, but as an ex-despatch rider, I'm one of the fastest through traffic so it's not like I'm a dayglo Derek afraid of the throttle. I love nothing more than searching for the limit of grip coming out of corners but I rarely thrash in a straight line, so maybe I wear the shoulders of the tyre rather than the centre.

I also once got 9500 miles out of a set of Avon Storms on my ZZR1400, a big heavy bike with a big heavy bloke on it.

I also wear out the front at around the same time as the rear. Mind, I do take them down the last millimetre as well, so I guess all of these thing add up.
I recon a lot of the difference is down to the fact that I use my bike solely for pleasure which consists primarily of hooning around minor twisty A roads at a 'progressive' pace. When I had my ZX12-R I was averaging 2000 miles from a rear Avon Storm at ~£200 a pop which was part of the reason I sold it. I recon if I was using the bike to commute I would probably get at least 50% more life out of the tyres, but fortunately I can walk to work.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 March 2017, 05:09:48 pm »
Ah gotcha. I thought you were also commuting. Hooning! Yes.

samsfazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 March 2017, 05:41:13 pm »
I have been thinking and I may just get a fix and scratch the itch. Just have to wait for the right bike at the right price.  Nordboy's deal was a belter!

Billy Balthorpe

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 2 X 1987 fzr1000's, VN800
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 March 2017, 11:22:30 pm »

Ive ridden a few pre Vtech VFRs, I could cope with the wrists, but I always felt as if the pegs are too high, my knees couldn't cope with that. Saying that, my Father in Law had a '95 VFR, 17,000 miles and it felt like new compared to my '98 Blade. He loved it but decided to go for a Pan Euro after about 18 months, and regretted it.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 March 2017, 11:09:52 am »

Tyres is a soft bt016r hyper sport, I think that's the problem. Astounding grip though, even in winter, once they have warmed up. Bloke who had the bike before me just wanted it for track days, hence he bought one with sorted suspension, had it a year, fitted the battlaxes, did two track days and I bought it prolly November time, tyres still looked really good aside from the inevitable track day side scuffling, my commit is only forty miles a day but it's fast B roads and motorways, think it's the Severn bridge m/ way dash that's taking its toll :-)

samsfazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02 March 2017, 02:10:29 pm »
Looks like I am out, a second bike is costing me over £150 more a year.

I thought it would around £50 more.  Bennetts quoted me £300 for a 125 and a fazer thousand. For what maybe only a few hundred miles a year, I may as well use the 125, till I really need a pillion bike.