Date: 18-04-24  Time: 20:45 pm

Author Topic: Finally getting a Fazer  (Read 2256 times)

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Finally getting a Fazer
« on: 26 February 2017, 10:39:23 pm »

hi all,
   I first rode a boxeye about 6 years ago when I took one out from a local dealer for an hour or so. I loved it but my wife...err...didn't. So I kept my bmw which I eventually sold back in September. I wanted something lighter and more fun with an upright riding position and a decent pillion perch without stupid power, I looked at the 2016 er6f or Versys but because of a big DIY project in the house at the moment I won't get the chance to ride much this year so it would be a heavily depreciating ornament. So I sat the other half on the back of a foxeye and while it's no armchair it's apparently much better than the earlier model. So now I've got a deposit on a 9,000 mile, 2 owner 'Deep Purplish Blue' ? (I see no purple) 2003 fzs600 which I should be picking up in a week or so. It's had more paint than I would have expected for such a low mileage bike but the bodywork is mint, it gives me a project when...if the house is finished :lol  and it'll not lose much value when...if I come to sell it for a new bike. I'll post some pics when I've got it. Apologies for the rambling intro, I'm going now.

Townhill

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • - KTM
    • View Profile
Re: Finally getting a Fazer
« Reply #1 on: 27 February 2017, 08:30:31 am »

Welcome to the forum and a happy new to you bike.
                                                              Steve

Your only here once! GET A LIFE GET A BIKE in it.

ProdigalSon

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 February 2017, 11:12:36 am »
Enjoy your new bike, I moved my BMW K1200S on when it started heading towards being a money pit, three bikes later and I've just bought Fazer 1000 and I'm enjoying it so far.  :)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 February 2017, 12:21:03 pm »

hi all,
   I first rode a boxeye about 6 years ago when I took one out from a local dealer for an hour or so. I loved it but my wife...err...didn't. So I kept my bmw which I eventually sold back in September. I wanted something lighter and more fun with an upright riding position and a decent pillion perch without stupid power, I looked at the 2016 er6f or Versys but because of a big DIY project in the house at the moment I won't get the chance to ride much this year so it would be a heavily depreciating ornament. So I sat the other half on the back of a foxeye and while it's no armchair it's apparently much better than the earlier model. So now I've got a deposit on a 9,000 mile, 2 owner 'Deep Purplish Blue' ? (I see no purple) 2003 fzs600 which I should be picking up in a week or so. It's had more paint than I would have expected for such a low mileage bike but the bodywork is mint, it gives me a project when...if the house is finished :lol  and it'll not lose much value when...if I come to sell it for a new bike. I'll post some pics when I've got it. Apologies for the rambling intro, I'm going now.

Did not know about seating improvements for the pillion on the Foxeye over the Boxeye, thanks for the info.
There are other improvements with the Fox, the headlights being one of the most significant & fuel tank larger capacity, pre-load adjustment on the top of front fork stanchions.
I believe there are a few other mods, whether they are improvements or not is up for grabs.

Not wishing to be an ogre check that the front sprocket nut has been changed from the 9mm for the 12mm upgraded nut, this has caused a lot of problems on some, not all of the FZS 600's suffered from this I believe , but it's still a good move, cos you dont know if yours is going to suffer until it might be to late.

The Genuine Yamaha upgrade nut and washer are available on eBay for about 7 quid, I believe its well worth the effort and expense of changing it just for the peace of mind as it can sh-g the gearbox out put shaft if the nut comes off. Lots about it on FOC-U, have a read up.

It can be a real bugger to get the old one off, but, again plenty of info on here about doing it.
The official Yamaha torque setting for the new nut is 90 Nm, and they also recommend using Loctite 620 thread lock. this is expensive for what it is (£10) and the chances are that the next time you come around to needing it it will be passed its usable date, you only need a tiny drop couple of drips is plenty. If you decide to do the upgrade drop me a message with your address and I will post you my bottle (about 3 weeks old) as long as you post it back to me when you have used it, as it can also go to others who need some.

When doing it work really, really clean and make sure the threads on the gearbox output shaft are completely oil/grease free (Brake cleaner on a rag work well)     

See link below for the upgraded nut and washer set.

Pic below of the new nut and washer in place done again 3 weeks ago.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-YAMAHA-FZS600-FAZER-FRONT-SPROCKET-NUT-AND-WASHER-KIT-/141276105948?hash=item20e4b64cdc:g:naQAAOSwq7JT4V3x
« Last Edit: 27 February 2017, 12:24:20 pm by tommyardin »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 February 2017, 12:32:12 pm »

Hi Again,
Just noticed that the link above for the FZS 600 Upgrade nut and washer says only one left, but it's ok as the Thundercat one is the same thing and there seems to be plenty of them see see link below. :thumbup

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-YAMAHA-YZF600R-THUNDERCAT-FRONT-SPROCKET-NUT-AND-WASHER-KIT-/131182167337?hash=item1e8b110529:g:r8UAAOSwRLZT4V5i

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 February 2017, 01:07:19 pm »
Just been on evilBay to the link above and ordered a spare 12mm nut and washer set to put in store.

I am going to try a different sprocket set up in summer, as my FZS 600 has a 16 tooth front sprocket on it at the moment and when I purchased a new Renthal sprocket for the bike it was a 15 tooth.
I have been led to believe that 15 tooth is standard, so might just try see what difference it makes.
Not that I am dissatisfied in any way bike goes very well but curious to see what change if any are noticeable. 

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 February 2017, 05:52:12 pm »

hi all... again,
   thanks for the warm welcome and the advice re the sprocket nut. This certainly seems to be a friendly and active forum. I look forward to getting to know you all. There is an awful lot of knowledge on here so I'd better get my learning hat on. I hadn't realised what enthusiasm a 'budget commuter' could generate. though it left an impression on me when I first rode one.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 February 2017, 06:54:54 pm »
Uuuuhhh! 'A BUDGET COMMUTER' he says, Ban him FFS someone. LOL
Saying it left an impression will not gain you any kudos after a comment like that.

Foc sake being hit in the head with a base ball will not be very pleasant, but that also leaves an impression.
LOL
Welcome to the loony Bin mate  :thumbup

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 February 2017, 07:03:10 pm »

Oops... how to lose friends and alienate people. :rolleyes   2 posts in and I'm upsetting folks already. please don't demand my expulsion, I promise I'll play nicely from now on.

GH600

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 February 2017, 08:21:18 pm »
Let him carry on thinking it's a "budget commuter" He'll get a nice big surprise when he gets it  :lol 

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 February 2017, 08:54:30 pm »
  But that's what the experts at motorcycle news called it and they're always right aren't they? Seriously though I know they're way better than that, which is why I decided to go for one. Hoping to take it to northern Ireland later in the year with the missis, she got family over there, we rode the A2 Causeway Coast road from Larne to Portstewart on the r1150r last year... awesome road but the bike was a bit big and clumsy on it, it should be more fun on the Fazer.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 February 2017, 09:51:56 pm »
"Fazer experts on MCN" ....  OH NO.........there all on here  ;)

Welcome to the forum  VINNYB  and yes....it is more fun on a fazer   :)
One, is never going to be enough.....

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 February 2017, 05:19:27 pm »

Hi Red98,
  Thanks for the welcome, I may put that on my number plate 'It's more fun on a Fazer' you haven't copyrighted it have you? :)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 February 2017, 06:38:06 pm »
 :lol   I shoud of done  :lol ...no, Its your's buddy , look great on the bottom of your plate , better still use it as your signature In your profile , it will then appear on every post  :thumbup
One, is never going to be enough.....

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 February 2017, 10:08:57 pm »

Thanks mate.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 10 March 2017, 10:28:49 pm »

Finally GOT a Fazer !!! :rollin
   It seems like an age since I put my deposit down. Well today I went to pick it up. Oh my god aren't they FUN to ride. I need to get used to doing the miles again though, my arse was feeling it after the 70 mile ride home but I'm smitten. I'll post some pics when I've cleaned it properly if anyone's interested.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 March 2017, 07:51:12 pm »

Hi Red98,
  Thanks for the welcome, I may put that on my number plate 'It's more fun on a Fazer' you haven't copyrighted it have you? :)

I like it.
See the pic below of my tax disk holder on my FZS600. :lol
Ok! So the writers of Star Trek did not know how to spell when they use to say Phasers set to stun'
sorry about the dark piture but it is almost 8pm and my battery on the phone will not allow to use flash as its out of charge 3% :'(
« Last Edit: 13 March 2017, 07:53:20 pm by tommyardin »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 March 2017, 07:57:44 pm »
  But that's what the experts at motorcycle news called it and they're always right aren't they? Seriously though I know they're way better than that, which is why I decided to go for one. Hoping to take it to northern Ireland later in the year with the missis, she got family over there, we rode the A2 Causeway Coast road from Larne to Portstewart on the r1150r last year... awesome road but the bike was a bit big and clumsy on it, it should be more fun on the Fazer.

I was once told the definition of an expert is:
A Ex is a has been and a Spurt is a drip under pressure, sounds about right if we are talking MCN, bunch of wankers  :eek :rollin :rollin :rollin
lol!
« Last Edit: 13 March 2017, 07:58:54 pm by tommyardin »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 March 2017, 08:00:34 pm »
If I remember rightly MCN gave the magic FZS 600 only 7 out of 10 all round.
I re-state my case BUNCH OF WANKERS.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14 March 2017, 09:56:47 pm »
 They also called it a bit 'star wars 1978',  'kinda 80's disco' an 'ideal 1st time proper bike' and 'greedy on fuel' Like you said 'A bunch of wankers' :)