Date: 28-03-24  Time: 21:48 pm

Author Topic: Yer Maun  (Read 3152 times)

King Orry

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 650 Vstrom
    • View Profile
Yer Maun
« on: 26 February 2017, 10:58:01 am »
Yer Maun, Joey Dunlop would have been 65 on Saturday.
His Road Racing genius surpassed only by his humanity.
A guy who in his spare time would load up a van with aid, and drive across Europe to deliver it.
Top bloke. RIP Joey.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Re: Yer Maun
« Reply #1 on: 26 February 2017, 11:53:54 am »
 :thumbup

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 February 2017, 12:24:35 am »
Agreed Top man, shame his nephew Michael is such an ignorant so and so
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 February 2017, 08:19:23 am »
Can't believe it will be seventeen years ago this year that we lost Joey.Time just seems to fly by.
RIP Joey.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 February 2017, 08:39:26 am »

:agree Chalk and cheese

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 February 2017, 01:24:45 pm »

Agreed +1 but have you seen the film Road ? It shows a different side to him and an insight to why he's like that although I think he even smiles  :eek  it's a shame because at the moment Mc Pint has the popularity but seems to be slowing ( sadly ) and Dunlop is extremely quick but when Mc pints calls it a day the public won't warm to Michael Dunlop like they did Joey or Mc Pint because of the perceived arrogance, which is one of the reasons why Joey was so loved because he was such a nice unassuming humble guy who Just happened to be the greatest road racer ever

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 February 2017, 07:03:05 pm »
Unfortunately perception is key and at present public perception is, that he is a Arrogant TWAT.

I followed him for years, especially since I saw him manhandle an old CBR600 around Kells and take on guys with much newer machinery and was impressed with his ability. He was not as arrogant and did not realise how good he was.
I watched him race and win two days after his father death and it was one of the most heart felt victories I had seen for a long time.
The big thing is that with that talent he has he does not need to be arrogant, let his talent do the talking
His comments on camera a few years ago when William beat him fair and square were totally stupid and unnecessary.
Nobody is bigger than the sport and even Rossi knows that.

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 February 2017, 01:58:16 pm »
Not talking ill of the dead here but there is a lot of Robert in Michael, Robert could be tetchy at times. Having said that though I remember a lot of years ago I travelled across from the UK for UGP bike week and on the boat I met up with a group off Germans. They were amazing as not one of them was under 70 years old. Anyway one of them had a £5.00 note with Joey's autograph on it. We were in the paddock (Thursday) so it was the Dundrod 150 meet, (still takes place as part of the UGP week event.) The 125cc race had just finished which Robert had won. We were in the paddock  and I was talking to Robert, he was obviously in a good mood having just won. Anyway I says to the German give me your £5.00 and I got Robert to sign it he then called the two boys over and they signed it as well, the whole family signed it by the time we left Sam as well. You would have thought the German had won the lottery.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 March 2017, 11:01:32 pm »
 If your talking arrogant twats Carl Fogarty seems to be the gold medal holder. I've spoken to several people who've met him and they all say what an ignorant, arrogant bloke he is. Anyone else had any dealings with him?

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 March 2017, 08:51:53 am »
Believe Guy Martin is a bit on the un-approachable side, which is a shame as he comes across well on telly.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 March 2017, 09:55:16 am »
Maybe having a brusque nature goes hand in hand with being so focussed at competing in a dangerous sport. Forgarty came over as being very rude/blunt in his tv interviews when competing but years later ended up winning the celebrity jungle programme showing a more mellow side to his nature although still a serious competitor. I suppose any sportsman of any discipline can be caught on the wrong day and come over as a complete twat.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 March 2017, 10:39:54 pm »

If you want to meet a twat try talking to Michael Dunlop, Guy Martin can be strange sometimes, but does he not suffer from a form  of Autism, I have heard that explains why at times he gets a bit animated.
Best rider on the roads for being a nice man is John McGuinness. I bumped into him and his Mrs once in IKEA in Warrington. He was just in front of me and the wife. It was actually my Mrs spotted him. We were standing looking at the same kitchens and my Mrs said to him , I have had my photo taken with you !!! at the UGP. He looked at her and smiled. The next thing she says was a cracker, I never forget a face,, especially when you had your hand on me arse. Fair play to him he just burst out laughing as did Becky. Ended up in the café with him having a brew and left the two women to it. Had a great yarn with him about the racing scene and me being from N Ireland he opened up a bit about Joey Dunlop and how he still misses him.
Seemed to be a genuinely nice man, tight as fuck though as I paid for the coffees lol.

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 July 2017, 01:05:33 pm »
If your talking arrogant twats Carl Fogarty seems to be the gold medal holder. I've spoken to several people who've met him and they all say what an ignorant, arrogant bloke he is. Anyone else had any dealings with him?

Met him twice, once at a dealer open day in Durham many years ago - where my missus told him that he looked much taller on the telly - and once at Brands Hatch after a WSB round. Both times he was genuinely nice and pleasant to talk to, even if it was only for a few minutes, happy to have a laugh and really down to earth. But, I can understand why people think him arrogant if they just watch the snapshots of him when he's competing and animated.

I must say that the only time I've ever watched any of the Celebrity reality programs was when Foggy was in one and I wanted to see how he was - and I wasn't surprised at all that he won - totally matter of fact, fearless and not afraid to have the piss taken out of him, just as you'd expect from a bike racer.
« Last Edit: 27 July 2017, 01:07:20 pm by Millietant »

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 August 2017, 09:39:41 pm »

Would like to have been a fly on the wall in Michael Dunlops house last night UGP  hahaha won feck all.
This is the guy taht stated a couple of months ago I can winon anything.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 August 2017, 12:44:23 am »

Would like to have been a fly on the wall in Michael Dunlops house last night UGP  hahaha won feck all.
This is the guy taht stated a couple of months ago I can winon anything.
:lol :lol :lol

5LV

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 16 August 2017, 04:23:40 pm »
i used to hang around the TT pits a bit back in the day.
Joey was a genuine hands on racer who loved getting his hands dirty fettling his little 'uns. once our team needed to borrow some lockwire pliers so i trotted off and stopped at the first van that was open to ask to borrow some. sat in the back with an rs125 in bits all around him and a fag perched on his lips was yer maun. so after a little chat i borrowed said pliers and have a fond memory to boot.
had dinner with Robert before his accident and he was a  corporate toy, saying all the right things and sadly without opinion. was stood in pitlane a few years later when it was micheals debut at the TT and was stood next to Robert, i asked him which side of the wall he'd rather be on today and he said it was pretty crap waiting for the light to come on at signpost.
Met Guy Martin at Cadwell and he came across a bit like Joey, just keen on bikes and fettling them himself.

* Crash.Net racing newsfeeds

MotoGP

World Superbikes

British Superbikes

RSS to JavaScript