Date: 28-03-24  Time: 20:26 pm

Author Topic: A return to Yamaha  (Read 2903 times)

ProdigalSon

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
A return to Yamaha
« on: 27 February 2017, 11:03:35 am »
Hi,
I've just returned to the Yamaha fold, I first had an SS50 (before it became the FS1-E) in 1974, followed by an YDS7 250, for some reason  then strayed away from Yamahas before having a 1991 RD350YPVS FII in 2004. Many bikes in between and since but when the need came raise some funds for my car I sold my Tuono V4 APRC I replaced it with a 2002 (51 plate) Fazer 1000.

I managed to get out and put 130 miles on it yesterday and I returned with mixed feelings, I bought it unseen or tried via the internet from Nightingales in Rugby. The bike was as clean as they said it was so no problem there, I had however forgotten how bland the engine is, it gets there but pretty soulless after the growling edgy V4 o the Tuono and the ballistic GSXR1000 that proceeded that. Of course it lacks the power of both but that isn't the issue it's just a bit too linear compared to what I'm used. The plus side was it was nice and comfortable and the suspension and handling wasn't anywhere near as bad as I'd been led to believe from reading this forum.

So heated grips, a slightly high screen some adjustable levers to be fitted and roll on the summer I think I'm going to learn to love the bike as the plusses definitely outweigh the minuses.  :)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: A return to Yamaha
« Reply #1 on: 28 February 2017, 06:08:39 pm »
A GSXR1000  and a V4 Tuono are always going to be a challenge to beat for any Fazer, when it comes to performance, as you say. My advice is, if you're going to keep it, get it Ivanised. Don't bother with the slip-on kit, just go Full Monty straight away. After the two bikes you've mentioned, you should be a bit happier then.

Why did you come to the Fazer? For many, it's for the better comfort and reliability. Add the Ivans kit, an R6 rear shock (and I would strongly recommend R1 forks) and you'll have a truly do-it-all bike that will give many others a run for their money, at a budget price.

Welcome to the fold  :)

ProdigalSon

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: A return to Yamaha
« Reply #2 on: 01 March 2017, 08:51:12 pm »
A GSXR1000  and a V4 Tuono are always going to be a challenge to beat for any Fazer, when it comes to performance, as you say. My advice is, if you're going to keep it, get it Ivanised. Don't bother with the slip-on kit, just go Full Monty straight away. After the two bikes you've mentioned, you should be a bit happier then.

Why did you come to the Fazer? For many, it's for the better comfort and reliability. Add the Ivans kit, an R6 rear shock (and I would strongly recommend R1 forks) and you'll have a truly do-it-all bike that will give many others a run for their money, at a budget price.

Welcome to the fold  :)

Thanks very much for the welcome, I came to the Fazer as I'd had a test ride on one about three years ago but ended up buying an Aprilia Falco. I traded that in for a BMW K1200S which gave way to the GSXR1000 as the BMW had plenty of power but was a bit long and heavy for the type of roads I ride on. I moved away from the Gixxer, which I absolutely loved, as it was doing my ageing knees in and went to the Tuono as it was a more comfortable riding position but plenty of power. Sadly for my sins my only car is a Mercedes R129 SL320 and it needs some money spending on it. Rather than borrow the money I let the Aprilia go and bought the Fazer as I remembered it being a pretty good all round bike.

I've bought a BMW S1000RR rear shock and Ohlins spring for the rear, I doubt I'll be able to afford a set of R1 forks so trying to decide whether to go progressive or linear springs on the front and maybe a change in weight of oil?

I'd read about the Ivans kit and was wondering which one I should go for when I have the pennies to d it but now I know, the Full Monty!

Graham.