Date: 25-04-24  Time: 10:02 am

Author Topic: What are the benefits if any of removing the AIS system?  (Read 2938 times)

ProdigalSon

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
What are the benefits if any of removing the AIS system?
« on: 27 February 2017, 04:12:30 pm »
Apologies as I know there have been threads on this before but it suggested I started a new one as they are all so old, so the question is what if any are the benefits of removing the AIS system other than easing access to the spark plugs? :)
« Last Edit: 27 February 2017, 04:13:07 pm by ProdigalSon »

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: What are the benefits if any of removing the AIS system?
« Reply #1 on: 27 February 2017, 04:29:06 pm »
Stops the popping on decel with an after market pipe. If you don't get that or you have a standard pipe and arent looking to tune your bike at all then probably not worth worrying about

ProdigalSon

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 February 2017, 04:32:08 pm »
Stops the popping on decel with an after market pipe. If you don't get that or you have a standard pipe and arent looking to tune your bike at all then probably not worth worrying about

Thanks for that the bike has  Leo Vince exhaust but it's a completely road legal one , no removable baffles etc. and I haven't noticed any popping on the over run. I'd like something a little louder but not too obtrusive but that's for later down the road. :)

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 February 2017, 04:48:31 pm »
The benefit is more for maintenance work. With the AIS is place the spark plugs and that area of the engine is very cramped, if you remove this will free up space and make servicing easier, there is no performance gain, weill apart from less weight  ;)

This is from Pats site[size=78%]http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/airinductionsystemremoval.html[/size]

[size=-1]The Air Induction System is an emissions control mechanism designed to introduce additional air in with the exhaust gases on closed throttle to complete the burning of those gases. This is a complex system that introduces additional weight, complexity, and is an obstacle to accessing other engine areas such as the spark plugs for maintenance.[/size]

Four Wheels Moves The Body... Two Wheels Moves The Soul

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 February 2017, 05:59:48 pm »
As well as reducing servicing time (and costs if you're not a DIYer) the engine area also looks a lot better with it removed as there's much less clutter.