Date: 20-04-24  Time: 03:50 am

Author Topic: Motorist with 62 penalty points legally allowed to drive  (Read 1755 times)

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Motorist with 62 penalty points legally allowed to drive
« on: 23 February 2017, 09:50:25 am »

what a pi$$ take. Why isn't that person banged up as they are obviously ignoring the law.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39053658
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Motorist with 62 penalty points legally allowed to drive
« Reply #1 on: 23 February 2017, 12:29:31 pm »
I agree that this really is a piss take, although as an 18yr old youth who like many thought I was invincible on my 350Lc with micron pipes , I amassed 15 points and kept my licence, I used the job excuse ( not wholly true ) but then never got another point on my licence to this day.
On the flip side to that 10 years ago I got took out by a white van man on my 600 he had 16 points on his licence  for jumping red lights and speeding and quite clearly he didn't learn as he jumped a red light in front of me causing the accident. When he went to court he did the usual keep licence for work argument but got banned for 2 weeks and got 6 points so he could take the ban as holiday from work and kept all the points ( 22 after)

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: 23 February 2017, 12:34:44 pm »
People like that need to learn that there are consequences to their actions.

Complete ban no half arsed attempt to allow them to keep their job. They didn't learn the first couple of times, what makes the magistrate think they will change now?
And anyone caught driving whilst banned should be banged up as they obviously don't think laws apply to them.

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 February 2017, 01:05:44 pm »
People like that need to learn that there are consequences to their actions.

Complete ban no half arsed attempt to allow them to keep their job. They didn't learn the first couple of times, what makes the magistrate think they will change now?
And anyone caught driving whilst banned should be banged up as they obviously don't think laws apply to them.
I agree , I thought the van man got off too lightly if he got banned lost his job his house etc etc then it might teach him but then if he kills someone next time then they'll do something ... probably.    I actually think driving on a ban carries a prison sentence ( again in my youth a mate did that and got 6 months !!) but with overcrowded prisons now usually they just get another ban which they just ignore again which makes a mockery of it really

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 February 2017, 02:02:04 pm »
I don't know the facts of the guy with 62 points, but when I was summoned to Wakefield magistrates court the guy after me was due to receive 42 points due to legal issues with his fleet of taxis (mainly insurance related).

Now the guidelines say he has to receive all those points, but you could argue he has made only one 'none dangerous' mistake and doesn't deserve to lose his livelihood as a result.

I'm reformed now, but back when I was driving 70,000miles a year. I accrued 11pts over three years. I've been clean now for 9years! :-)
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: 23 February 2017, 02:08:54 pm »
The way that multiple offences are dealt with by the courts is you are done for every offence but only get points for the most severe.
I.e. 4 bald tyres, using the phone and doing 40 in a 30 could see you get 21 points in one go but you would only get 6 from the mobile phone element.

The article is about people who have been done time and time again and actually have many more than 12 points on their licence. The reason we have the 12 points/3 year rule is because we know that nobody is perfect but to amass that many points (40+ or 60+) means they have amassed them within 3 years. i.e. they have no intention of changing their ways.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 February 2017, 02:30:12 pm »
I've never understood how this happens either? I can see why you might get 12 points but then get a reprieve if you drive for a living or need a car for caring etc etc but once you've used your 1 chance then that should be it... end of.

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 February 2017, 05:41:50 pm »
Theres no mention who or why they have 62 points. Could well be the owner of a fleet taking the points who didn't commit an actual driving offence themselves.

Or it could be a proper c**t who threatened the magistrates!!!

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 February 2017, 07:16:00 pm »
Just read the headlines, don't question the facts!
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 February 2017, 07:21:38 pm »
Just seen it on telly , I think it was for speeding  :eek