Date: 20-04-24  Time: 05:50 am

Author Topic: Ignition Switch  (Read 922 times)

liamstears

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
Ignition Switch
« on: 22 February 2017, 07:36:20 pm »
Have the problem with my ignition switch where I have to pull the key to a certain angle before it will turn[/size]Want to get this fixed up without buying a new lock set and I know this can be done but need a donor ignitionMy question though is what other ignitions are identical to my bike?I have the 04 FZ6 with immobiliser but looking at the switch itself it looks as though older fazers and R6's use the exact same ignition just without the immobilizer partIs this right? Don't want to buy another ignition and the parts not be compatible (basically need the lock barrel itself from a donor unit)Thanks in advance[/color]

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Ignition Switch
« Reply #1 on: 22 February 2017, 09:18:14 pm »
Have the problem with my ignition switch where I have to pull the key to a certain angle before it will turnWant to get this fixed up without buying a new lock set and I know this can be done but need a donor ignitionMy question though is what other ignitions are identical to my bike?I have the 04 FZ6 with immobiliser but looking at the switch itself it looks as though older fazers and R6's use the exact same ignition just without the immobilizer partIs this right? Don't want to buy another ignition and the parts not be compatible (basically need the lock barrel itself from a donor unit)Thanks in advance

Hi Liam,
You might just find that any secondhand lock or just the barrel will have the same issue, I have a 2003 FZS 600 that has exactly the same issue, mine I need to pull the key slightly back towards me for the key to turn, I gave the lock a good clean out (Flooded) with electrical contact cleaner and then washed it out with copies amounts of IPA Solvent.
I purchased some graphite dust on EvilBay to lube the lock but listening to others decided not to use it as it can gunk up in the bottom of the lock if the bike is ridden or subjected to a lot rain, or, your a bit anal about cleaning the bike (I am one of these two)  :lol     I opted for dipping the key in clean/new engine oil and plunging in the lock and giving it a good wiggle I did this a couple of times to lube it and I now do it every month or so, and just have to remember to gently pull the key towards me when turning it and i have got into that habit i have no problems.

The complete lock unit is different between the Boxeyes and the 2002-2003 Foxeyes, the Foxeye has an extra wire in the flying lead/harness that comes from the switch, the 2002-2003 locks are like rocking horse poo, the earlier ones are available in abundance on EvilBay.
Good luck mate :thumbup
« Last Edit: 22 February 2017, 09:18:50 pm by tommyardin »

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Ignition Switch
« Reply #2 on: 28 February 2017, 06:10:25 pm »

The complete lock unit is different between the Boxeyes and the 2002-2003 Foxeyes, the Foxeye has an extra wire in the flying lead/harness that comes from the switch, the 2002-2003 locks are like rocking horse poo, the earlier ones are available in abundance on EvilBay.

But they are completely different to the FZ6 lock you need. :pokefun
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again