Date: 26-04-24  Time: 23:28 pm

Author Topic: The realisation that I'm too old and arthritic for superbikes  (Read 4989 times)

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Took myself to Excel today , much fun had until I reach the Yamaha stand and there I spy the new R1 , now I've never really desired a superbike but I like the new R1 or did until I tried to try it for size and 10 seconds later my hips and knees cried enough  :'( and I realised I'm old and arthritic and it's only downhill from here
That said though I did manage to slip my old fat arse onto the MT 10 admittedly kitted out with the £250 comfort seat extra and decided I want one.
Maybe being old and arthritic isn't as bad as I first thought especially if could get my hands on an MT10SP

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
Re: The realisation that I'm too old and arthritic for superbikes
« Reply #1 on: 19 February 2017, 11:58:30 pm »
I gave up on sports bikes on the road years ago and I'm still nowhere near arthritic or old! Sports bikes are brilliant on track and I have a 2006 CBR600RR for track duties, but my road bike has been a 2001 ZRX1200R since 2002 and I love it. So comfortable.

MT10 a bit fuggly for my liking, but very capable bike. Go for it I say!  :evil
Feel the Fear and do it anyway!

Read about my Project Ruby Racer - FZS 600 Custom build Click this link > > > http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,10613.0.html

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 February 2017, 12:37:55 am »
Fuggly ??? WTF is fuggly  :lol
I was however also tempted by the new Triumph 765 Striple , can't believe for the first time ever I said that I like a Triumph

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 February 2017, 06:26:42 am »
Doesn't really matter what bike you sit on or ride, if it's different to what you're used to then different muscles come into play for a few months which can cause leg cramps, aches & pains, etc, for a few months if you're not generally physically fit.

Thing that put me off the sports bike riding position was the restriction of head movement once you look up ahead of you. The crash helmet would just sit on the collar of my jacket making it very difficult to look around properly, which is even more undesirable when it's pissing down with rain.
Add to that the extra strain on the wrists and i found myself looking for something in a more upright position.

More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 February 2017, 11:11:22 am »
I haven't been able to ride sports bikes since 1991, when I smashed myself up good and proper riding the last one that I owned; an FZR1000 EXUP. Smashed my shoulder and elbow really badly, and I haven't been able to comfortably reach for sports bike bars since, so I missed out on R1s, Blades etc. But I don't really miss them, as upright style bikes have improved so much in the intervening years. It also seems to me that sports bikes have become too focussed for Britain's potholed roads, so I wouldn't be interested in going back to them again now anyway.

DILLIGAFF

• Muppet

Plucking foccer
    Official FOC-U Saga Lout
    Kock Leeper
  • GP Hero
  • Leeper of cocks
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 February 2017, 11:38:50 am »
Graham

FUGGLY = foccin ugly
I used to not give a foc, then I discovered Red Bull and now I don't give a flying foc !!!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 February 2017, 12:00:34 pm »
Never had one but I have ridden one and did not like it suspension was rock hard - great for a track but not on our roads, I felt that the bike was trying to bounce me off 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 February 2017, 12:07:51 pm »
Never had one but I have ridden one and did not like it suspension was rock hard - great for a track but not on our roads, I felt that the bike was trying to bounce me off

:agree  and the fact that you have to crane your neck up to see the lights change, weight on wrists etc. As said. uprights are way more practical and there are lots of blokes on here who've destroyed Plastic Fantastics on Fazers around twisties.
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Fazer99

• Club Racer
  • Private sign do not read
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 February 2017, 12:30:53 pm »
When I first started riding properly I was always into Sports bikes, I absolutly loved them and found them so much easier and more comfortable to ride, but it can all depend on the bike as my FZR600 just felt so nice and I had no problems with viewing my surroundings but when I had a blast on my mates GSXR600 it just felt horrible (on the road but I'm sure on a track it's different).

Having said all that, since giving uprighters a proper go I can't say I will be going back to a sports bike, plus since having metal pins in my shoulder I can't ride a sports bike for long any way.

I'm looking at getting an MT-10 for my next bike either that or a Fazer Thousand, leaning more towards the MT-10 as I love the FUGGLY Decepticon look but I'm a bit put off with all the electronics.
RIP my beautiful red beast 1999 to 2017 😭🏍😭

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 February 2017, 03:08:31 pm »
Graham

FUGGLY = foccin ugly

Yup , laid in bed last night and it came to me  :rolleyes  it appears it's not just my bones are worn out the mind is going too  :lol
The MT10 that was at the show had a touring screen on and it didn't have that fuggly look about it , unlike the new Striple 765 which from looks a great bike apart from that afterthought of a headlight/ fairing thingy , I agree the MT has similar but it's not as bad as the trumpet

rainbow-walker

« Reply #10 on: 20 February 2017, 09:43:10 pm »
Agree with all the above, but sportsbikes are awesome  :rollin

Im 47 and rapidly going downhill, but there is something about having a sportsbike under you with firm suspension kicking over poor roadsurfaces, and then rewarding you when you pin it and get 'on it' feeling exactly what the front and rear tyre are doing.

I went from a gen1 fazer thou, to a R6, to a GSXR1000, to the pinnacle for me (although not the fastest), a Ducati 899 Panigale.

Just dont mention the valve clearance costs  :o .

Bikes rock  :)

RBW.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 February 2017, 10:01:59 pm »
I'm still in love with sport bikes, I do find comfort varies between brands. I tend to find kawak zx-- very cramped but gsxrs very comfy.
My fz1 is the first upright bike I've had and it took some getting used to but I do enjoy it. I bought it over a fireblade (I'm still not 100% sure I chose correctly) down to the fact it was more comfortable with the high bars etc for everyday riding.
The only thing I do find is that an upright bike is not as fun to ride faster as a tucked in bike. There's just something about being laid on the top of the tank that makes you feel like your flying (inner child lol)
Being upright just improves your grip, arm and neck strength haha

There also seems to be a certain stigma with riding a crotch rocket. You can almost feel people staring at you and just thinking 'dickhead'.
People seem to assume that just because your on a sportbike that your an idiot that speeds everywhere and has to overtake everything. Where as on my naked bike I've found people are more willing to move over etc and I don't seem to get as many shitty looks (even though I still ride like a dick and overtake everything 😆)

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 February 2017, 11:04:59 pm »
I was at the Excel on Sunday too. Found myself hovering around the Yamaha stand staring at the MT10's and wishing I was at home getting ready to go out on mine.
Riding an MT 10 will take you to a whole new level of riding like a dick.............Apparently  :D

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 February 2017, 11:12:18 pm »
To be honest I think the manufacturers are missing a trick in not making an comfortable R1 esque bike that's more upright than sportsbike as well as the R1 sportsbike , I'm sure there are lots of bikers around the globe who've reached a certain point in their life (me) where their arthritic hips /back / wrists just won't allow that foetal riding position for more than 20 seconds, who may have the capital/ means to buy an R1 or similar but feel like we are now past it and second best and have to accept a bike with a "detuned " for increased torque motor. What if I don't want that , what if I want the sphincter clenching ripsnorting full fat version of that motor, it's depressing I think it's ageist and wrong  :'(  my human rights have been violated Yamaha ,it's time to stop making me feel old and give me an R1 upright and while you're at it bring back 2 strokes. :)

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 February 2017, 12:06:17 am »
my human rights have been violated Yamaha ,it's time to stop making me feel old and give me an R1 upright and while you're at it bring back 2 strokes. :)

Er, I think that's what you have in the MT-10!  ;)

Read about my Project Ruby Racer - FZS 600 Custom build Click this link > > > http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,10613.0.html

Fazer99

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21 February 2017, 07:28:51 am »
my human rights have been violated Yamaha ,it's time to stop making me feel old and give me an R1 upright and while you're at it bring back 2 strokes. :)

Yes the MT-10 is basically an upright R1 but it's 'detuned'

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 February 2017, 08:03:49 am »

Yeah and it produces a lot less power (about 140 rwbhp)
You've got to think that it's basically a modern fazer1000.
Just like when our bikes came out they were touted as naked R1s but we all know that if you actually raced an R1 (stock vs stock) it would demolish you in speed and power terms anyway.
I agree with what Graham says, why can't they either stick straight bars on a superbike or stick the proper engine in an upright chassis without 'detuning' it? I don't understand why they think it's fine as it is with clip ons but the moment you sit up yoy automatically want more torque and less power? If I wanted that I'd buy a twin haha

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 February 2017, 09:55:03 am »

I know, however from the tests it appears to be less detuned than most and very close in performance to the Tuono, which is the least castrated of the nakeds.

Try one, I'm sure you won't find it lacking.

Fazer99

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 February 2017, 11:37:05 am »

I know, however from the tests it appears to be less detuned than most and very close in performance to the Tuono, which is the least castrated of the nakeds.

Try one, I'm sure you won't find it lacking.

I would try one, but I know that I will have to buy it there and then and I don't have the funds to do that  :lol yet!  :lol

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 February 2017, 03:16:57 pm »
Yamaha are doing the MT 10 in an SP version why not do that with the full beans R1 engine ?? It looks like Triumph are getting the idea with the new 765 striple 3 versions of the same bike with 3 states of engine tune with the full fat version RS putting out 128bhp and ohlins suspension and brembo brakes, it's not cheap at 12.5K.
But I'm sure it'll sell even though it fugglier than the MT so come on Yamaha get the idea and do the same with the MT 10, I might be advancing in years and my bones as strong and as porous as Andrex bog roll but there is still a young man in there somewhere begging to be unleashed next time an R1/GSXR/ZX/etc pulls alongside me who would love to show the cocky sod riding it ( not all R1 owners are BTW just the odd few ) that just because I'm riding a Fazer/MT/ whatever that I'm not past it and had to settle for second best, trouble is as it stands to my knowledge there isn't a standard bike that will do that

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21 February 2017, 11:21:50 pm »
Yamaha are doing the MT 10 in an SP version why not do that with the full beans R1 engine ?? It looks like Triumph are getting the idea with the new 765 striple 3 versions of the same bike with 3 states of engine tune with the full fat version RS putting out 128bhp and ohlins suspension and brembo brakes, it's not cheap at 12.5K.

But then the new Triple is not a detuned Daytona, it's a model in it's own right. Or is it?  ;) 

What's the betting a Daytona 765 is on the cards?

You could always do what I did and build your own full fat naked. Behold my Daytona Street:

« Last Edit: 21 February 2017, 11:22:54 pm by Ruby Racing »

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21 February 2017, 11:51:37 pm »
I would love to build one , however I lack workshop , probable large sums of ££ but most of all the mechanical knowledge/talent/confidence in my own abilities not to foc it up and it fall apart at warp speed  :rolleyes
However I'm impressed at yours and prefer it to the RS looks wise due to its fuggly afterthought of a headlight/ fairing thingy...... behold £12500 128bhp trumpet that I think is a new bike but the Daytona will be exactly the same but with fairing and clip ons , which begs the question if sales are better than the Daytona how long before there's a sit up Version of all sports bikes which after all is where this thread started.
« Last Edit: 21 February 2017, 11:57:19 pm by Graham53 »

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22 February 2017, 08:30:02 am »

However I'm impressed at yours and prefer it to the RS looks wise

Thank you.  :D

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 22 February 2017, 08:40:50 am »
Makes you wonder how large the "sports" bike sector is nowadays. So many of us have become older(or prone to the afflictions of ageing), many migrated to the "adventure" experience in the years following Charlie & Ewans much publicised trips. The younger element in motorcycling is much smaller than a few years ago & there is a distinct "fashion" aspect to such as the "yard built" creations-Im not knocking it but as a community we are getting older & there are many obstacles for new riders to overcome on their way to a full licence-many simply dont bother.
Sat in a bikers cafe on Saturday morning I was looking at some "old fella"(possibly younger than me!) as he struggled to dismount & then later mount his Fireblade-frankly he looked very uncomfortable.

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22 February 2017, 09:00:14 am »
Makes you wonder how large the "sports" bike sector is nowadays.

It's going down hill, but more nakeds are selling.

The 600 sports bikes sales have dropped through the floor. Honda have stopped selling the CBR600RR in Europe as it's not Euro 4 compliant and I'm pretty sure Kawasaki has stopped selling the ZX-6R too. Not sure about the Suzuki. Only Yamaha brought out a new R6 last year. Although there was a report in one of the mags that a couple of years ago Yamaha had sold a couple of thousand R6's in a year, but in 2016 it was in the low hundreds.