Date: 16-04-24  Time: 16:14 pm

Author Topic: Stubborn Oil Filter  (Read 4897 times)

Tubz1983

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Stubborn Oil Filter
« on: 19 February 2017, 11:41:12 am »
Drained the old oil today, however the filter does not want to budge AT ALL. Any tips? How important is.changing the filter?
Ive put some wd40 round tye edges to see if that free anything up

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Stubborn Oil Filter
« Reply #1 on: 19 February 2017, 12:00:11 pm »
Manual says 1 filter change for every 2 oil changes. But I change it everytime.

It can be an foccer to get off anyway, even if only put on finger tight with a lube oring. I give mine a good squirt of penetrating fluid with a wiggle the day before trying to get it off. One you break the rubber seal all round it usually comes off quite easily.
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 February 2017, 12:01:24 pm »
Always resorted to using an oil filter chain wrench. They're only a few quid but an invaluable bit of kit.

When you eventually get the filter off, you need to smear the rubber seal with oil on the new one then just do it up by hand as much as you can, they really don't need to be wrenched on tightly.

And yeah, they do an important job so they do need changing, especially if you don't know when it was last done.
You can get away with replacing it every 2 oil changes but to be honest because they're so cheap you may as well do it each time.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Tubz1983

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 February 2017, 12:28:48 pm »
Hmmm i did see the chain wrenches.... Il go back to the garage in a bit and see if i can budge it

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 February 2017, 04:20:12 pm »
Hmmm i did see the chain wrenches.... Il go back to the garage in a bit and see if i can budge it
I use a oil filter spanner that attaches to a socket set like this (random internet grab for the picture) https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/BMW-S-1000-RR/Spares/Oil-filter-spanner-Wrench-size-74-mm.html
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Tubz1983

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 February 2017, 07:08:54 pm »
That looks like a blood good idea actually!

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 February 2017, 07:26:14 pm »
BIG screwdriver smashed through the filter and give it some beans turning wise.....works every time :-)
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

Tubz1983

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 February 2017, 07:43:14 pm »
Smashed through the top end of it? Sideways on?

fazed

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 February 2017, 08:02:06 pm »
Sideways so it acts as a lever to rotate it, that's the way I've had to do it!

This is as young as you're ever going to be!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 February 2017, 08:04:19 pm »
You have to fiddle it from the side behind the downpipes and slide it on then with a short extension on your socket poke that through the middle of the pipes and loosen only then draw out the socket and take the wrench off the filter and carry on undoing with your hands / fingertips ------------ expect to spill it all over your pipes underneath ---- and then the floor.   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 February 2017, 08:59:03 pm »
</blockquote>

[/size]You have to fiddle it from the side behind the downpipes and slide it on then with a short extension on your socket poke that through the middle of the pipes and loosen only then draw out the socket and take the wrench off the filter and carry on undoing with your hands / fingertips ------------ expect to spill it all over your pipes underneath ---- and then the floor.  [/size]

That's what I've got, and how I do it. Make sure you get the right size spanner for the flats on the filter. I've got two different spanners for 2 different filters !

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 February 2017, 10:20:08 pm »
Sometimes a screwdriver driven through the side works..and sometimes it rips the shit out of the filter. Marigold gloves are worth a go if the filter is cleaned first - seriously.

Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 February 2017, 10:58:05 pm »
try a chain wrench before a screwdriver.

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 February 2017, 11:08:00 pm »
I use a oil filter spanner that attaches to a socket set like this (random internet grab for the picture) https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/BMW-S-1000-RR/Spares/Oil-filter-spanner-Wrench-size-74-mm.html

I got one of those ages ago , does the job every time 👍🏻
And if the screwdriver doesn't work cos oil filters are only made of thin metal .. you're focced
« Last Edit: 19 February 2017, 11:11:05 pm by Graham53 »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 February 2017, 06:14:56 am »
try a chain wrench before a screwdriver.

I deliberately never mentioned the screwdriver trick simply because of the carnage and mess it can cause if it goes wrong.  :lol

crickleymal

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20 February 2017, 12:35:47 pm »
I've got one of those rubber strap thingies (no space for it on this bike), one of those cup things that fazersharp mentioned but my favourite is this https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cht719-two-way-three-jaw-oil-filter-wre/. Works like a charm.
Malc

Old enough to know better.

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 February 2017, 01:04:08 pm »
I use one of these http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/hand-tools/halfords-advanced-adjustable-oil-filter-remover

Fits a range of sizes and the legs tighten their grip as you turn it.  Never had a problem getting a filter off with it.

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 February 2017, 05:27:02 pm »
And if the screwdriver doesn't work cos oil filters are only made of thin metal .. you're focced

Once had the screwdriver trick not work after chain and belt wrenches just crushed the casing.  If you are VERY careful you can cut the filter baseplate into pieces without damaging the mating surface on the crankcase but it's not something I would recommend. 

Still had a job getting the final piece of the baseplate off the thread.  I think the thread had been damaged by an earlier attempt to screwdriver it off.

Normally use K&N filters now with nice 17mm nut on them

daviee

« Reply #18 on: 20 February 2017, 06:20:44 pm »
I use one of these http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/hand-tools/halfords-advanced-adjustable-oil-filter-remover

Fits a range of sizes and the legs tighten their grip as you turn it.  Never had a problem getting a filter off with it.

is  their enough room for one of those on a fazer its  pretty tight for space in their

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 February 2017, 07:10:30 pm »

Once had the screwdriver trick not work after chain and belt wrenches just crushed the casing.  If you are VERY careful you can cut the filter baseplate into pieces without damaging the mating surface on the crankcase but it's not something I would recommend. 

Still had a job getting the final piece of the baseplate off the thread.  I think the thread had been damaged by an earlier attempt to screwdriver it off.

Normally use K&N filters now with nice 17mm nut on them

Used to think the K&N oil filters were good until i found that the nut part was covered in plastic and didn't fit any size socket.
Back to the trusted and reliable chain wrench again.

Tubz1983

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 February 2017, 07:28:00 pm »
Thanks for the tips guys, the WD40 seem to do the trick! The bastard is off and new oil in, as well as a coolant top up.
For the rest of the week we have front brake service and looking into my clutch cable issues. Fun times ahead

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 20 February 2017, 10:50:37 pm »
Darrsi, you are taking the shrink wrap plastic off the filter before you fit it, aren't you ;-)

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 February 2017, 01:22:20 pm »

is  their enough room for one of those on a fazer its  pretty tight for space in their

Yes, it does fit.  You have to wiggle it on from the side, then attach the wratchet via an extension piece. 

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 21 February 2017, 03:28:26 pm »
I try not to over tighten the oil filter, I've been lucky and managed to get it off without the aid of tools. Sometimes a good hand job is all you need.  :thumbup
« Last Edit: 21 February 2017, 03:29:15 pm by celticdog »
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

daviee

« Reply #24 on: 21 February 2017, 05:53:16 pm »

Yes, it does fit.  You have to wiggle it on from the side, then attach the wratchet via an extension piece.

cheers