Date: 19-04-24  Time: 22:51 pm

Author Topic: "HELP" Spark plug snapped off in head leaving ceramic in situ  (Read 5473 times)

Gabrael72

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
"HELP" Spark plug snapped off in head leaving ceramic in situ
« on: 16 February 2017, 07:37:53 pm »
Hello fellow foccers, I need to ask your advice!
My beloved 2000 plate fzs has been misfiring of late so I decided to start by swapping out the plugs, the off side inner most would not budge, even after heating up, later spraying with penetrating oil and leaving for a week, and culminating in giving it one last try today and it shearing leaving the bottom half of the ceramic and the metal threaded part still in the head!
My local bike garage has costed me around £600 for engine to be removed, head split (to clear out any left over ceramic) new gaskets and sundries, rebuilt and put back in bike, does anyone know any tips or tricks or do I have to bite the bullet and murder the wife to get my hands on her insurance? 😜

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: "HELP" Spark plug snapped off in head leaving ceramic in situ
« Reply #1 on: 16 February 2017, 08:26:22 pm »
Have a look at this post from a fellow foccer that had the same
http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,21782.msg251736.html#new

Don't know where you are but maybe the bods that helped with his are a possibility or it might steer you in the right direction

Gabrael72

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 February 2017, 08:47:32 pm »
Thank you so much, unfortunately I'm at the opposite end of the country to them, but i may give them a call to see how exactly they did it!
Once again, thanks.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 February 2017, 10:34:34 pm »
Haven't come up against that problem myself but I know you can get extractors that are reverse thread and as you drill down into the plug it grips and unscrews. If you don't fancy doing it you should be able to find a bike shop that would have a go at extracting it. If it was me I'd probably take the head off. It's not as difficult as it sounds if you've got reasonable skills with tools and can follow a manual. The trickiest bit is getting the exhaust off without shearing a stud. You need a low end torque wrench and a new head gasket

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 February 2017, 01:46:31 am »
I've had this issue on an old donor engine I bought.

So there is no ceramic left in the remainder of the plug, it's dropped into the cylinder?

Well you can't run the engine with ceramic in it, it'll damage your valve seats. You must have snapped it off quite low down to do that.

However, if there is no ceramic in the middle of the plug, it's a lot easier to drill out and then in theory you might be able to insert a tube into the hole and hoover out any bits. Someone will probably tell you you can do that with the engine in situ, but it's a pig of a job. For me it's an engine out job, but not an engine rebuild, just some drilling.

If there is still ceramic in the middle of the plug, it's impossible to drill. sometimes you can blow it out the top of the plug just by running the engine, Then you just need to reverse drill out the remainder of the plug. Else punch the ceramic down into the engine and follow step one.

Personally, I would pull the engine out, which can be done with basic tools, you just need a big socket for the sprocket nut, trolley jack and a Haynes manual. and hope your exhaust studs are in good nick, but no dramas, you're pulling the engine out anyway.
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 February 2017, 01:56:08 am »
If you want to save money, a decent donor engine is about £250/300.

Else take the engine out yourself and take it to the garage in the boot of a car. It should only take half a day of labour and a new head gasket to sort out the plug and remove/refit the head.
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 February 2017, 06:49:41 am »
 As "HIS DUDENESS"   head off...no need to remove engine, head can be removed with engine in frame  ;)
« Last Edit: 17 February 2017, 06:50:37 am by red98 »
One, is never going to be enough.....

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 February 2017, 07:47:20 am »
Bit confused here, how can ceramic drop into the cylinder head, it won't get past the tip of the plug?

Am i right in thinking that the plug has somehow sheared off just below the head of the spark plug bolt, so the threaded part is still in place?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 February 2017, 09:06:37 am »
If the ceramic is in one piece it won't get past the tip. But if it has crumbled when it sheared off or while you try to get it out, it'll go past.

I couldn't get the ceramic bit out of mine, so had to whack it down into the engine so there was something I could drill into.

I've got a lot of respect for anyone that can replace a head in situ, let alone get an old spark plug out as well. It is possible, but not for me.

I found it all difficult enough with the engine out - sorting the timing, torquing up all the screws and getting the cam chain guides sorted. You need some patience, small hands and the right tools in situ.
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

Gabrael72

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 February 2017, 09:30:09 am »
Guys thank you so much for your collective expertise, think I'm going to go down the dropping engine out myself route and having a look first, if I come across any problems I know where to come for advice👍🏻
« Last Edit: 17 February 2017, 11:31:20 pm by Gabrael72 »

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 February 2017, 09:31:05 am »
If you want to save money, a decent donor engine is about £250/300.

Else take the engine out yourself and take it to the garage in the boot of a car. It should only take half a day of labour and a new head gasket to sort out the plug and remove/refit the head.

This was my first thought too. Or just get a head. One on eBay at the moment for £90 CLICK HERE

But if you can't fix it with engine in situ then I'd drop the motor and have a go at extracting the remnants then. If that failed then I'd probably just get a complete motor and save yourself the hassle of changing the heads over. Dropping a motor is not as hard as it sounds. Although it does help to have at least another pair of hands to help.
Feel the Fear and do it anyway!

Read about my Project Ruby Racer - FZS 600 Custom build Click this link > > > http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,10613.0.html

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 February 2017, 10:04:08 am »
A new head sounds like a good idea... but you'll need to regrind your valves in, you'll also need a valve spring compressor. Then you have to fit the head, measure the valve clearances... then take it all apart again to fit new shims.

Have a look on the foc-u facebook page. A few bikes are being broken.
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

davebike

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • - C90 CUB
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 February 2017, 10:47:46 am »
Delt with this a couple of times on customers bikes !
I been able to extract the centre electrode / and ceramic by pulling with needle nosed plyers adn drillin if required
Then used lots penertrating oil over 24hours
Then easy out and clean thread with a tap
Then all plugs out spin the engine a fair bit to spit out any debris

not for the faint harted but if it fails it engine out and either another engine of head off !
Fazer FZ6 2004 Honda C90 cub
Professional mechanic  IAM member
Davebike1@gmail.com

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 February 2017, 01:12:39 pm »
Another option is a flute extractor. You hammer it into the spark plug and it grips and you turn it out. You'd need a long one to reach the plug.

Dinger1962

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • - 1987 tomos 50cc
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 February 2017, 05:48:58 pm »
Number for PARTSVILLE BARROW IN FURNESS is 01229 813824 speak to HARRY-- sorted mine having explained the process its a job i would tackle myself next time--cheers stu
MY GRANDAD TOLD ME -WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU MAKES YOU STRONGER--EXCEPT FOR A BEAR THAT WILL DEFINATELY KILL YOU---

Dinger1962

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • - 1987 tomos 50cc
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 17 February 2017, 05:52:47 pm »
Oh while i remember i blew the remains of ceramic/electrode out by running on 3-cheers
MY GRANDAD TOLD ME -WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU MAKES YOU STRONGER--EXCEPT FOR A BEAR THAT WILL DEFINATELY KILL YOU---

Gabrael72

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 February 2017, 11:35:21 pm »
WOW, really foccers I am humbled by your help, I will keep you posted, keep your fingers crossed 🤞🏻

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 February 2017, 11:45:34 pm »
WOW, really foccers I am humbled by your help, I will keep you posted, keep your fingers crossed 🤞🏻

Gotta be done fella, we've all had our ups and downs over the years, may as well just help each other the best we can.  ;)
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Carter

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - DT200WR
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 February 2017, 01:22:23 am »
Heat could be your friend here. Small oxy or jewellers torch . Plug may need heating /cooling a few times to expand and contract it enough with a bit of diesel or plus gas between heatings. A steady hand and fuel moved to a safe place recommended.
Rust never sleeps !

bikemad

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 February 2017, 09:13:18 am »
If your really stuck I've got a head from an engine which due to sprocket been welded on its going to be dismantled for spares.
I have snapped a plug once on a 500gs leaving the metal thread behind,luckily was outer plug & room (just) to get a drill in there so know how it feels.
Stuff everything I've always got my bike :)

Gabrael72

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 February 2017, 01:00:45 pm »
Thanks Bikemad, I'll certainly keep that in mind & will update everyone as and when!
Going to collect it from garage tomorrow and on way now to pickup a set of Easyouts from Screwfix as I type!

Gabrael72

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 April 2017, 10:09:50 am »
Just a quick update, ended up having the repair done by a professional after I snapped an Easy Out off in the plug thread, got it done by a company called 'Hybrid Motorcycles' in Croxley Green, fantastic service & a really good price!
Thanks to all who commented with advise, as ever you guys (& gals) are a treasure trove of knowledge! 👍🏻