Date: 19-03-24  Time: 10:00 am

Author Topic: Fitting a Yamaha rack  (Read 2546 times)

tork

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
Fitting a Yamaha rack
« on: 13 February 2017, 04:33:15 pm »
I've bought a Yamaha rack for the fazer 8. Has anyone fitted one before? Just trying to figure out how much of the plastic to cut out and what's the best way of doing it. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

KENT62

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting a Yamaha rack
« Reply #1 on: 13 February 2017, 09:22:30 pm »
Hello. i have just bought a Fazer 8 with a Yamaha rack fitted.  Didn't do it myself but can photograph it if that would assist.  Ken
Laziness leads to efficiency!

tork

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 February 2017, 11:17:26 pm »
Thanks ken, that[size=78%] would be very helpful. Not had to do this kind of thing before so any assistance would be great. Cheers.[/size]

KENT62

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 February 2017, 07:37:20 am »
Ok, I'll try to do it today.  Not sure what the photos will show but I have the receipt showing that mine was fitted by a Yamaha dealer so should be abut right.

KENT62

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 February 2017, 06:33:49 pm »
Hello Tork, not sure if this is any use to you.  There's a picture of the fixing on the right (offside) of the bike.  The other is thunder seat showing both sides.  You can't see anything from the side or underneath.  It looks as though the cutting of the tail unit is under the rear bolts. 

Sorry its not that clear.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 February 2017, 07:59:06 pm »
If it is similar to how a rack fits on an FZ1s then the cutouts  on the undertray are marked out on the undertray already, just need a sharp knife.

tork

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 February 2017, 09:15:20 am »
Thanks kent62 and Slappy for the info. That helps and having looked under the plastic cowling I now see the cut outs. That's great I'll get on with it and see how it works out. Cheers.

zoser

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 April 2017, 10:28:02 am »
Thanks kent62 and Slappy for the info. That helps and having looked under the plastic cowling I now see the cut outs. That's great I'll get on with it and see how it works out. Cheers.

Yes I recall having to cut out some of the rear tail fairing to fit my rack.  I wrote to Yamaha to complain about this.  So sad that the bike had not been designed for it in the first place.  I just kept on taking small amounts at a time and offering up the rack.  Pure trial and error.  In the end I took a little too much out but hey it worked in the end and 4 years later I couldn't really  care less.  The box has been so useful though.

david095

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 April 2017, 10:24:16 pm »
I'd send it back and get the Givi system instead, much less hassle, and sturdier!
Porquoi moi?