Date: 29-03-24  Time: 05:20 am

Author Topic: Centre Stand Siezing  (Read 1519 times)

Neon Knight

• Weekend Warrior
  • In space no one can hear you fart !
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - FZS1000 01
    • View Profile
Centre Stand Siezing
« on: 10 February 2017, 06:15:22 pm »
My old FZS 600 boxeye has many slightly annoying quirks but this one really gets my goat. Despite fairly regular spraying with wd 40 and all in one oil it keeps partially siezing and making impossible to put the bike on the stand. Is there anyway of ending this recurring problem before I take it off and bin the bloody thing entirely. Any advice much appreciated. Ta  :eek

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
Re: Centre Stand Siezing
« Reply #1 on: 10 February 2017, 06:31:42 pm »
I would suggest taking it off and lubricating the moving parts with some decent heavy duty grease like LM Grease.

WD40 is not a lubricant and all in one oil is probably not up to the job either.
Feel the Fear and do it anyway!

Read about my Project Ruby Racer - FZS 600 Custom build Click this link > > > http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,10613.0.html

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 February 2017, 07:09:52 pm »
Something to be careful of is the bracing bar between the legs of the stand can rust/fracture and if it is getting weak it can flex too much and make it difficult to get it on the stand.

However, I agree with ruby, best to take it off, lube it up with a paste kind of grease rather than watery oil that will wash out. Would also be a good opportunity to check it over for any weak points.

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 February 2017, 07:51:21 pm »
Something to be careful of is the bracing bar between the legs of the stand can rust/fracture and if it is getting weak it can flex too much and make it difficult to get it on the stand.

However, I agree with ruby, best to take it off, lube it up with a paste kind of grease rather than watery oil that will wash out. Would also be a good opportunity to check it over for any weak points.
Chris

Yes watch out for that, it shouldn't have a feeling of seizing half way, sounds very much like the rotten crossbar issue but take it off and give it a refurb  like I did here
http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,20049.msg231855.html#msg231855     
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 February 2017, 07:59:24 pm »
Yeah, I bought a second hand good condition one and had it powder coated to protect it. My old one was starting to crack where the centre stand joined to one of the legs and it was definitely harder to get it on to the stand.

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 February 2017, 08:10:24 pm »
I would hazard a guess it's bent out of shape.
You can't really tell until you remove it though, then all will be revealed.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 February 2017, 08:04:25 am »
There's not much to them to be honest, you can repair them fairly easy, You can weld over small cracks and add strengthening plates across very badly corroded areas.  :)

I repaired mine last year, by replacing the corroded piece between the legs,

Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.