Date: 25-04-24  Time: 09:46 am

Author Topic: FZ1 Gen 2 missfire  (Read 2570 times)

FZ1obp

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Husaberg TE300
    • View Profile
FZ1 Gen 2 missfire
« on: 02 February 2017, 08:13:58 pm »
Guys
Before Xmas I jet washed the bike and then stored it in a fairly humid shed until the new year  - result took several miles to run even normally..... It's a 2009 bike of some 46,000 miles and has always run well until now.
Now 5 weeks later of commuting I've an intermittent low speed misfire - more like a slow speed cough stall  I  used to get on my old 525 Katie.

So the plan is, having bought a spare coil, to test all the coils, dry, strip and clean the wiring above the engine (spraying GT85 here caused a misfire)and maybe spray it with electrical sealer. I'm hoping that the problem is caused by a coil breaking down. Does this make sense?

Before I take the bike apart is there anything else I need to be looking at?

Many thanks
orlando

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: FZ1 Gen 2 missfire
« Reply #1 on: 02 February 2017, 08:22:51 pm »
Guys
Before Xmas I jet washed the bike and then stored it in a fairly humid shed until the new year  - result took several miles to run even normally..... It's a 2009 bike of some 46,000 miles and has always run well until now.
Now 5 weeks later of commuting I've an intermittent low speed misfire - more like a slow speed cough stall  I  used to get on my old 525 Katie.

So the plan is, having bought a spare coil, to test all the coils, dry, strip and clean the wiring above the engine (spraying GT85 here caused a misfire)and maybe spray it with electrical sealer. I'm hoping that the problem is caused by a coil breaking down. Does this make sense?

Before I take the bike apart is there anything else I need to be looking at?

Many thanks
orlando

Sounds like you are on the right track, certainly seeing if a pencil coil is playing up is a decent place to start.

Guess youll do the plugs while you are there? they should be pretty well sealed by the coil, but blooming corrosion on the plug body can cause subtle misfire.

FZ1obp

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Husaberg TE300
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 February 2017, 09:13:56 pm »
Good idea, thank you - it's also a lot for work to change them so have ordered from Amazon, ok price and free delivery

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 February 2017, 10:04:53 pm »
Good idea, thank you - it's also a lot for work to change them so have ordered from Amazon, ok price and free delivery

just make sure the pugs are genuine and not fakes. loads on the tinterweb about fake spark plugs

FZ1obp

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Husaberg TE300
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 February 2017, 02:11:04 pm »
Didn't realise they were an issue - found this on the web:

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 February 2017, 03:50:49 pm »
Guys
I jet washed the bike

There's your problem. I would never go anywhere near any bike with a jet wash. You never know where that water is going or what damage it is doing.
I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

Drew - Stag Riders

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 February 2017, 03:21:30 pm »
Nevermind the jetwash, I dont let water near my bike, it gets pledge on the paint n plastic, and oily stuff on the metal bits (brakes get nothing) :rollin